SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Ca legal 134a cans for $6 on Amazon, no deposit

California legal 134a cans at Amazon. Somehow they avoid the $10 recycle deposit law. Next time I need more 134a this will be my go to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NL0XHW...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This is the good stuff. Pure 134a, no extra crap.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Ca legal 134a cans for $6 on Amazon, no deposit

And the rush is on until stock is depleted (at this point, 18 cans).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

My local walmart and its neighbor Tractor Supply both retail the same can for $4.99 regular everyday pricing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
My local walmart and its neighbor Tractor Supply both retail the same can for $4.99 regular everyday pricing.
I doubt its the same. This is the California legal can.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Well, bring up walmart's website and type in R-134a. Scroll down and you see the exact same can as your Amazon listing. Same Interdynamics brand at $5.82 price too.

However: my Virginia stores have the same Interdynamics can on the shelf (California compliant too) for $4.99 without the $10 deposit stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Yea Walmart isn't bad. I just paid $7/can plus the $10 deposit.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 AM   #7
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1

yES when I need a refill I go to walmart 134 a cans for under 6 bucks . My saturn dont use more than 2 cans I think . Nobody should be putting any but 134a in there air conditioning all those additives u find today just plug it up and can ruin a compressor plug up ur lines where u cant charge ur system. Best to buy the 134a what the system needs . Thats all it needs . Everyone is selling cans with additives that are useless .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

I'm in CA.............

I just buy the non CA cans from ebay................

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

There have been several proposals to ban the cans in California if they do I'll probably just spring for 15# and consider it a lifetime supply. At some point the EPA will phase out 134a (it's already illegal in many countries and many GMs now use HC-1234 ).

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

2021 is the target date for mandatory switching from r134a to r1234yf for auto manufacturers. As vehicle manufacturers phase in new refrigerant, r134a will still be around. It's interesting for the EPA listing r12 as the only refrigerant to deplete ozone. All other refrigerant does not, including r134a. R134a will remain available for who knows how long as long as cars need it. Unlike the fiasco surrounding r12, r134a not depleting the ozone layer should allow vehicles using r134a a long life without the need to repeat the retrofit (not recommended) when r12 became expensive overnight, forcing conversions. And to make things difficult but keeping safety first, new gauges and fittings are needed to prevent issues of incorrect refrigerant use and cross contamination. Global Warming Potential (GWP) seems to be the new catch phrase relative to refrigerants affecting this little orb we live on.

I didn't find 15 lb canisters of r134a at competitive prices but did buy a 30 lb canister from a GM dealer (eBay). Original pricing of 1 lb cans of r134a was very reasonable when buying several cases over the years until price increases went ridiculously high. Buying in bulk was the next step. Walmart continuing its low pricing policy seems to be the only place to keep r134a in one pound cans at reasonable prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Some GMs today come with 1234 though. It's currently mandatory in Europe although a few manufactures are just using 134a and paying the penalty. The biggest issue with 1234 (other than being almost 10 times to price) is that it's a flamible gas. Otherwise 1234 is considered equivalent to 134a. I'm not sure new gauges will be necessary but I could see evap pumps being more resistant to ignition. I suspect the biggest change will be the idiot boxes most dealers use where the tech plugs the device in and it diagnoses, recoverd, Evacs and charges without human intervention.
-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

After buying a new set of gauges calibrated for r134a and other refrigerants I realized I could have bought adapters and a set of quick couplers to retrofit my r12 gauges. While pressure gauges are pressure gauges, each refrigerant has its own unique chemical operating pressures so gauges are calibrated for accuracy and ease of use. If I retrofitted using adapters and quick couplers without changing gauges I would have to memorize or crudely mark off new numbers to correlate r134a numbers on r12 gauges. It was more expedient to buy a new set and not have to memorize where pressures should be when using r12 gauges. This applies to r1234yf for gauges not marked for it. If I'm not mistaken, the same safety precautions taken to deliberately create new fittings for r134a incompatible for r12 is taken to create new fittings for r1234y to create the same incompatibility of using r134a gauges and fittings on r1234yf systems. This also applies to the automated equipment used in commercial shops for one stop refrigeration repairs to reduce errors, cross contamination and incompetents from making mistakes. I can imagine some shops having three sets of refrigeration gauges, r12, r134a and r1234yf hanging somewhere along with two automated refrigeration carts. One for r134a and the other for r1234yf............. Overhead costs passed onto consumers. The outrageous prices for r1234yf (to date) appears to be from Honeywell being the sole manufacturer until Chinese manufacturing gears up to augment Honeywell's output to lower costs.........

It's interesting that r1234yf is considered flammable may be less so compared to es12, butane, propane or any combination of well known flammables in industry and illegal for the US market. A Google search seems to show r1234yf is not as flammable in normal use with a few precautions; the evaporator coils are designed sturdier to retain operating pressures while providing a greater safety margin against ruptures, perhaps to reduce chances of igniting refrigerant inside during a catastrophic rupture. While r1234yf is slowly replacing r134a systems in this country, the first generation teething problems were encountered with Cadillac failing to make good and recalling their vehicles to retrofit models back r134a. Beta testing in real world environments. Unfortunately, this seems to be repeating in similar fashion when Boeing failed with their first generation lithium ion batteries in 787's. It was reported that $350 million was spent to redesign a stronger battery box and venting to the outside in case of thermal runaway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

fdfryer, are you using absolute pressures from the FSM or are you using the superheat, subcooling method? My gauges are marked for both but I can just use a reference card to convert. I've used my gauges on R-22 in a pinch with a reference card and a calculator .

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Gauge pressure as charted in service manuals. The problem with calibrated gauges isn't the actual pressures but the calibration numbers referenced to each chemical. Having the gauges already silk screened with values makes it easy to correlate pressure to temperature. I drew a red line at 30 psi, correlating r134a temperatures, 36F. I learned to associate gauge pressures/temperatures to feeling suction/discharge lines to better understand refrigeration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg low pressure gauge.jpg (150.9 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:28 AM   #15
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

I can't see like I used too.....

It's easier to see the pressure on the gauge rather than the small type for the temp.......

Then I use a chart that converts pressure to temp (larger font)

BTW, my R134a gauge set only uses the 1/2 acme thread for the fill hose.

The others are standard 1/4 sae flare. The hoses connect to the r134a adapters..

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:52 AM   #16
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

That's true. Occasionally when I use my gauges for r-22 I use an adaptor for my tank

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!