SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
canoecraft
canoecraft is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Will replacing valve seals stop oil use?

I have two Vues with four cylinder engines. Both have more than 150,000 miles. Both are needing a quart or more of oil between 3,000 mile oil changes. Neither smoke and compression tests are good. Could this be bad valve seals? If so, how do I replace them?

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canoecraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canoecraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
canoecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Will replacing valve seals stop oil use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoecraft View Post
I have two Vues with four cylinder engines. Both have more than 150,000 miles. Both are needing a quart or more of oil between 3,000 mile oil changes. Neither smoke and compression tests are good. Could this be bad valve seals? If so, how do I replace them?

Gary
I think valve seals leak oil under decelleration, then smoke when you apply the gas.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

When valve seals are worn you typically see oil burning on start up. They don't tend to leak much while running.

Most common reason to require make up oil is leaking valve cover gaskets.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

A quart every 3000 miles with 150000 on the clock? A lot of new cars burn more than that and it's considered "normal"; I personally wouldn't mess with it.

Best

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

^^^What he said.

Don't let it get more than a pint low between topoffs.

I think oil use on the Vue's ( if not abused with low sump levels) is more related to engine braking( high vacuum) which sucks oil past low tension piston rings too easy- mentioned in the forums some time back.

When I keep the revs down,put on just freeway roadtrip miles, and use the brakes to brake, my oil usage goes way down.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
MY FYN 79
MY FYN 79 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I apologize for not having a ton of time and cant find the threads from a quick search, but a common area to look into for oil consumption on Ecotecs is the PCV hole in the intake manifold. A couple things can happen, some holes were too large from the factory.. and some of the holes get crusted shut. You do have to remove the intake manifold to check it, but a lot of people have had good luck either replacing the manifold (if the hole is too large) or cleaning out a hole that's crusted shut.

If no one else can find it on the web I can probably check it out better later tonight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MY FYN 79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MY FYN 79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MY FYN 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY FYN 79 View Post
I apologize for not having a ton of time and cant find the threads from a quick search, but a common area to look into for oil consumption on Ecotecs is the PCV hole in the intake manifold. A couple things can happen, some holes were too large from the factory.. and some of the holes get crusted shut. You do have to remove the intake manifold to check it, but a lot of people have had good luck either replacing the manifold (if the hole is too large) or cleaning out a hole that's crusted shut.

If no one else can find it on the web I can probably check it out better later tonight.
this might be it:

Interesting results from there:
One guy had the same problem so got a suggestion:
Could run a quart of Trans fluid for a few miles (20 miles) and change the oil, see if that cleans her up if that didnt do it.
So he tried it and said that no more issues after that.
I suppose this is the same idea as adding those oil flush additives you can buy at the automotive store.

another suggestion was:
pull the intake manifold and clean out a small port hole on the intake manifold for crank case ventilation. Its between the #2 and #3 intake ports.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1412966364

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thegreatbriguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
canoecraft

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: diagnostic plan to cure oil consumption

All good suggestions--thanks. Here's my plan--in order of cheapest to more expensive--to cover all the bases:
1. Do a compression test to see if the piston rings are worn.
2. If not, clean out the hose that provides crankcase ventilation (the 2.2 Vue engine does not have an actual PCV valve)
3. If not solved, replace the valve cover gasket.
4. If not solved, install new valve seals.
5. If not solved, have dealer put some green dye in crankcase and run the engine. Viewed with their blacklight, any oil leaks show up as fluorescent green.

Am I missing anything?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help canoecraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: diagnostic plan to cure oil consumption

Quote:
All good suggestions--thanks. Here's my plan--in order of cheapest to more expensive--to cover all the bases:
1. Do a compression test to see if the piston rings are worn.
2. If not, clean out the hose that provides crankcase ventilation (the 2.2 Vue engine does not have an actual PCV valve)
3. If not solved, replace the valve cover gasket.
4. If not solved, install new valve seals.
5. If not solved, have dealer put some green dye in crankcase and run the engine. Viewed with their blacklight, any oil leaks show up as fluorescent green.

Am I missing anything?
THe return/reward on your investment is(not spending the extra money for) a quart of oil ......
and of course , there's always K.I.S.S.

It's not broke- don't "fix" it.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

Doubt it........

Search for oil usage here:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #11
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
What's "it"?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

The piston compression ring is separate from the oil control ring.a good compression reading does not guarantee all your rings are good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
canoecraft

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Good compression with a bad oil ring?

Good point. But the likelihood is that if one has worn the other has too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #14
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Good compression with a bad oil ring?

Quote:
Good point. But the likelihood is that if one has worn the other has too.
True.,,, but enough to be out of tolerance or design limits?,,,, I think it bears repeating that you have minimal oil loss for the mileage driven.

What has not has been stated is the period of time for that 3000 miles?
Oils evaporate over time, so it could be a significant factor.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

I'd say do a piston soak before the next oil change and try switching to Valvoline Maxlife. Great oil that is a synthetic blend for a good price. Might slowly help with consumption, if you're lucky.

Otherwise, just top off with the cheapest oil you can find and you'll be money ahead vs replacing valve seals (IF that is the actual problem, also).

1qt in 3k miles isn't bad.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:05 AM   #16
canoecraft

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 VUE 2.2L

An experienced Saturn mechanic tells me that in every rebuild of the 2.2 l engine he's done, the oil rings were so badly stuck that he had to pry them off with a screwdriver.

On his personal Saturn, when it reached 300,000 miles and was needing rebuilding, he first added every concoction available to the oil to free up the oil rings and stop the oil use. Nothing worked–except the screwdriver once he had the pistons out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

^ I did not think that 2.2 Ecotec engines were known for oil use/burning. Some had PCV problems, yes, but they're not the oil burners that 90's Saturns were famous for.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote