SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
shaxs
shaxs is on a distinguished road

Cool Hello all! Just bought a 2007 Saturn Vue!

Hello!

First of all thanks for all the great info on this forum. Lots of good people/info here!

I just picked up a 2007 Saturn Vue 4 Cylinder with 79,000 miles to replace my wife's 2003 Honda Civic with 150,000 miles. Bought it from a family member for a great deal ($6000) and it is in excellent shape. It was very well cared for. The Vue was never really on our list, but when the oppurtunity came at such a great price we thought why not? I did some research and seems to be a good SUV. I drove it around today to work and what not and liked it quite a bit (for a 4 cylinder).

This is my first Saturn. Actually we just went from being a 2 foreign car owning family to a three domestic owning family (Vue, 2010 F-150, and 1964 Ford Falcon convertible).

I will be driving it back from California to Texas in a few days. Im really looking forward to seeing what kind of mileage this will get. Im hoping we get around 25. My wife commutes about 20 miles one way for work so hopefully it can get around there.

Besides upgrading the sound system, is there anything I should update or change? Anything to look out for on these 4 cylinder models? Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shaxs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shaxs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Hello all! Just bought a 2007 Saturn Vue!

Aside from the front end squeaks and creaks and brake rotors, there's really not much to do with these things.

My 2004 5 speed manual 4 cylinder has about that same amount of miles. I bought it new and in that time I've replaced the front brake rotors twice, brake pads once, cabin air filter once, all season tires once (a winter set gets rotated in during the winter), spark plugs once, front struts once, coolant once, battery once and the transmission fluid once. I had the dealer replace the shifter cables under warranty. So the only "major" service it's had has been the struts- and that's a wear item so it's not even all that major.

My wife drives my VUE. She's nearly all city and gets 24 mpg. I've found that with mine, on the open interstates (70 to 80 mph) with the manual transmission gearing, my VUE gets in the low 20s (22-23) mpg. Slow it down to highway speed (50-60 mph) and it'll get high 20s (28) mpg.

Welcome to the forums.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
joelbrazil
joelbrazil is on a distinguished road

hey,
i am new here and looking for some advice. am thinking of getting a saturn vue
2003 to 2005. not sure it what size of motor to be looking at getting and also maybe getting a straight drive. also what about the AWD is that a good option.
looking at getting a loan for this. probably getting one from a dealer.
any advice out there??!!
Joel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joelbrazil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joelbrazil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joelbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I have an 06 Vue 4 cyl. auto and on hwy at 70 I get 32mpg 75 26 mpg and at 80 23 Mpg. I drive mostly city thou so I rarely see over 17-18 mpg. Stop and go kills fuel mileage on every thing except electric vehicles. I have averaged 22 mpg over a 2 year period and 11000 miles. As you can tell mostly short city trips. Vue is ran everyday and only thing I have done in 2 years is battery and O2 sensor. 96000 on it right now. Looks like I will be losing it thou over next couple of months due to surgery and out of work and I am upside down. Am looking for a cheap replacement when I can draw out retirement from current job. Talking total disability. Wish we could keep it since we love it. Great for travel and for our fishing gear with plenty of room. Oh one other thing is if noisy in am when below 60 degrees put Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and will quiet it down. I did that after being told was normal and several different oils and that was the only thing that quieted it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
shaxs

Well, the trip went well! The Vue perfermed very well. Not a single issue. At 65-70 we got 26 MPG. at 75-85 we got 21. I-10 out of El Paso is posted at 80 so we did 85. We did find at that speed the car really worked to stay there.

It is a 4 Cylinder so passing speeds took a bit and there was a little response once punching the gas, but over all very very happy. I will take pictures as I just had it detailed.

Over all, for $6k we are very happy with the purchase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shaxs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Well, the trip went well! The VUE performed very well. Not a single issue. At 65-70 we got 26 MPG. at 75-85 we got 21. I-10 out of El Paso is posted at 80 so we did 85. We did find at that speed the car really worked to stay there.

It is a 4 Cylinder so passing speeds took a bit and there was a little response once punching the gas, but over all very very happy. I will take pictures as I just had it detailed.

Over all, for $6k we are very happy with the purchase.
Sounds perfectly normal mileage for your VUE. You bought the most honest workhorse SUV money can buy!

I also like the speed limit on I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio.

There's hardly anything out there and the higher speed limit helps knock it out.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
shaxs

I do wish the cruise control was implemented better. Just having that one small light on the steering wheel is hard to see during daylight. Wish there was an HUD indicator that the cruise control was on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbrazil View Post
hey,
i am new here and looking for some advice. am thinking of getting a saturn vue
2003 to 2005. not sure it what size of motor to be looking at getting and also maybe getting a straight drive. also what about the AWD is that a good option.
looking at getting a loan for this. probably getting one from a dealer.
any advice out there??!!
Joel
If you get the 4 cylinder in that range, your best bet is a FWD 5-speed manual trans. STAY AWAY FROM THE VTi (CVT) TRANS AT ANY PRICE!! If you go with the 4 cylinder, look for at least an '04. They are the more reliable, as the issue that caused timing chain failure was fixed. Many here have the 3.0 V6 ('02-'03) and really like it, but it's said to be tricky to work on.

Be aware of the 100,000 mile service that's needed for both V6 models. It includes timing belt, water pump and related components.

I have an '04 FWD V6 (181k) and '05 AWD V6 Red Line (111k). The V6 in the '04-'07 was supplied by Honda - 3.5L VTEC and Honda 5-speed automatic. I've gotten over 26MPG highway - cruise @ 75MPH - in my '05 AWD. Some have gotten right around 30MPG out of theirs. They're a great vehicle.

As for the Honda-equipped VUEs, they're known for a problem with the torque converter. The '05-'07 models are eligible for the GM recall to correct the problem. For some odd reason, the '04 isn't included yet. I just had my '05 done at my local Buick dealer.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I do wish the cruise control was implemented better. Just having that one small light on the steering wheel is hard to see during daylight. Wish there was an HUD indicator that the cruise control was on.
Do what I do. Just leave it turned on. It won't hurt anything.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
shaxs

Well we had a mobile detailer come out and do a good job cleaning her up (2 days ago and it has rained).

Specs:
4 Cylinder
79,000 miles
No major or minor accident
Only minor scratches here or there on the paint
Interior in near perfect condition
Cost: $6000.
Value: Amazing!

Here are the pictures!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
ChiliPepper
ChiliPepper is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Well we had a mobile detailer come out and do a good job cleaning her up (2 days ago and it has rained).

looks great! I'd say you got a nice ride far a great price. Enjoy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChiliPepper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChiliPepper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
shaxs

One thing I have noticed on my Vue at least is the wind noise. The front doors dont seem to seal all that well. If I close the door and roll down the window and then grab the door and pull there seems to be a lot of give for a shut door. This was very very apparent when doing 80 mph on the highway during high winds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
One thing I have noticed on my Vue at least is the wind noise. The front doors dont seem to seal all that well. If I close the door and roll down the window and then grab the door and pull there seems to be a lot of give for a shut door. This was very very apparent when doing 80 mph on the highway during high winds.
Much worse on my '07 than my '03. See this thread - I think it helped a little . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164323

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
shaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Much worse on my '07 than my '03. See this thread - I think it helped a little . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164323
Oh thanks for this! I will try the tape backed foam weatherstripping and see if that corrects the issue. Ill probably do that this weekend during the audio install/upgrades.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
oc-patrick
oc-patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Specs:
4 Cylinder
79,000 miles
No major or minor accident
Only minor scratches here or there on the paint
Interior in near perfect condition
Cost: $6000.
Value: Amazing!

Here are the pictures!

congrats - the car looks great! we have had no problems with our V6, except for the recall for the torque converter - which we did not notice. Too bad GM decided to kill the brand, we would have loved to see other products from Saturn in the future.

2017 CHRYSLER PACIFICA CRYSTAL GRANITE
2015 HONDA CR-V MOUNTAIN AIR
2006 DAYTONA CHARGER TOP BANANA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oc-patrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oc-patrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oc-patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
Hoagrod
Advanced Member
Hoagrod is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Look down the side of your vehicle to see if your doors are lined up with each other. When I test drove my 2006 I noticed some wind noise and didn't even think to look down the side of the vehicle at that time. Thought just really windy conditions was the problem. Eventually noticed passenger front door stuck out a little further than the rear. The door catch loosened enough to where it moved slightly outward causing the wind noise as the door wasn't sealing properly. Dealer loosened the catch, slide in a little and re-tightened and it pulled the door in enough to eliminate the wind noise.

This may not be your problem, but something to check.

Good luck!!!

Hoagrod

2006 Vue RedLine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hoagrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hoagrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hoagrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
shaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagrod View Post
Look down the side of your vehicle to see if your doors are lined up with each other. When I test drove my 2006 I noticed some wind noise and didn't even think to look down the side of the vehicle at that time. Thought just really windy conditions was the problem. Eventually noticed passenger front door stuck out a little further than the rear. The door catch loosened enough to where it moved slightly outward causing the wind noise as the door wasn't sealing properly. Dealer loosened the catch, slide in a little and re-tightened and it pulled the door in enough to eliminate the wind noise.

This may not be your problem, but something to check.

Good luck!!!

Hoagrod
Thanks I will take a look!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
This means you can get away with 95-100?

I'd be very afraid to take my Vue over 75.. perhaps the road conditions here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:17 AM   #19
shaxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post

No you really dont want to go over 5 mph over speed limit in Texas. We underpay our law enforcement and thus have quite a few of them. Just the other day on a 2 mile stretch from my house to the interstate I saw 6 law enforcement officers. No joke On my culdesac we have three! All great guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #20
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post

I have my Red Line up to 115 (governed) and thought it felt pretty good at that speed. Honestly, I don't think I'd want to be going any faster in it.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!