SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default ion just turning off and over reving

ok my saturn ion 2 2004 has just turned off on me a couple of time but hadnt in a lil while so just yester day it did it when i was making a turnbut i was going slow and didnt realize untill i felt no power.... but before this incident about a week or 2 ago when i was driving my car and it was fine but then the next time i went to start it , it shot right up to 4k rpms... it was weird and very slowly declined...so i just turned of the car ... and when i tried reverse it shot back idleing a lil faster and was sort of hard to brake... it reved that high a couple of times ...i checked my mat and any other reason why it would do that to my knowledge and everything seemed fine...so once it was back down towards 1k rpms i drove to a tops real quick and then when i got out and started my car it started normal.....any suggestions..... i asked a guy at pepboys and he suggested this spray that i bought and had to spray in the intake before the filter an the hose ...not sure what its call so i did ... and it seems better but any reason for any of this plus the car just turning off sometimes...and i usaully just use 87 octane but started to use a lil higher and barley use reservation gas..i have sort of new spark plugs and new air filter and just got oil change lol...just trying to leave out nothing so any one can help plus i have no mods at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: ion just turning off and over reving

partially blocked fuel filter? it's time anyways. check your battery cables, that caused my "ghost car" problems.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
firestomper25

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
partially blocked fuel filter? it's time anyways. check your battery cables, that caused my "ghost car" problems.
i will thank you hey by the way going with a dell cause i can finace it... its a core 2 quad 4 gig ram 500 gig hard drive and 19 inch widesceen sorry agian bro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestomper25 View Post
i will thank you hey by the way going with a dell cause i can finace it... its a core 2 quad 4 gig ram 500 gig hard drive and 19 inch widesceen sorry agian bro
Do you ever proofread before you post? You have terrible run-ons and your spelling sucks something fierce. You want people to take you as somewhat educated, proof and spell check before you post. I've been reading your posts for some time and think you're a dufus!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
firestomper25

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post
Do you ever proofread before you post? You have terrible run-ons and your spelling sucks something fierce. You want people to take you as somewhat educated, proof and spell check before you post. I've been reading your posts for some time and think you're a dufus!
what the hell does that have to do with anything... why does it matter.. maybe just to your self stop being a dick and dont comment unles you have something to actually to say besides bull.... ok i dont care what ignorant people like you have to say and just because i cant spell so great and really dont care to even proof read it .. cause its not that important to me .. it still gets my point across... just because you want to be a dick. go do it somewhere else.. why you feel the need to even comment if its only garbage. so your also saying only super good spellers can be on here .. lol.. shut the hell up ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not nitpicking here but there is a difference between your first post and this last one by simply spelling better and adding the dots {.....}. You could have just ended with a period at the end of each phrase or sentence. By just correcting some grammatical errors smooths over sentences and makes reading easier. And you actually get your message across better. The little bit of effort is appreciated just as when someone gives you the right answer to fix your problem.

Believe it or not, I once wrote a draft letter that took me more than 4-months!? Yes, 4-months because everytime I read a sentence I had to correct it and then the entire draft took on a different meaning and wasn't getting across what was in my mind. The fact that my education is limited didn't stop me as much as I knew that what I wrote came across as the babblings of a low grade moron. Well, after wrestling with what I thought I wanted written and what I actually wrote became clearly two different paths, I kept at it until I was satisfied. This wasn't a legal document or a term paper but a simple letter to a company. Afterwards, I was given some positive replies and wrote better sentences along with improved grammer. Now I ain't so dumb*** no more. It took quite awhile before I got to where I can stand reading my own babble, if I don't fall asleep reading it. I practice here on Saturnfans and it helps a great deal as it does improve writing skills. No lecture, just my 2-cents.

Back on track, if you have the drive-by-wire throttle system with no cable between the pedal and throttle body, there may be issues with this. I have it on my L300 and there have been associated problems but more with the mass airflow (MAF) sensor than throttle body. A throttle position sensor may be acting funny but again, in a throttle-by-wire system I think there are two in the throttle for redundancy protection. MAF sensor related problems can only be cleaned with maf cleaner due to the delicate element before outright replacement is needed. The TAC/APP, for throttle actuator/accelerator pedal position are totally electronic with few reliability issues. What's been posted as possible problems with either have never been followed up by the owners as to any results of repairs/replacements of these units or if it was totally unrelated. And the ones with TAC/APP problems were clearly having situations indicating the reduced power mode icon of the engine with a large down arrow. Limp home mode. Maybe yours is a vacuum leak? A maf sensor absolutely has to have a sealed air tube assembly so all the air flows through the maf sensor as any air leaks automatically leans out mixtures. Any recent work done that may have left loose fittings, clamps, hoses?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
firestomper25

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Not nitpicking here but there is a difference between your first post and this last one by simply spelling better and adding the dots {.....}. You could have just ended with a period at the end of each phrase or sentence. By just correcting some grammatical errors smooths over sentences and makes reading easier. And you actually get your message across better. The little bit of effort is appreciated just as when someone gives you the right answer to fix your problem.

Believe it or not, I once wrote a draft letter that took me more than 4-months!? Yes, 4-months because everytime I read a sentence I had to correct it and then the entire draft took on a different meaning and wasn't getting across what was in my mind. The fact that my education is limited didn't stop me as much as I knew that what I wrote came across as the babblings of a low grade moron. Well, after wrestling with what I thought I wanted written and what I actually wrote became clearly two different paths, I kept at it until I was satisfied. This wasn't a legal document or a term paper but a simple letter to a company. Afterwards, I was given some positive replies and wrote better sentences along with improved grammer. Now I ain't so dumb*** no more. It took quite awhile before I got to where I can stand reading my own babble, if I don't fall asleep reading it. I practice here on Saturnfans and it helps a great deal as it does improve writing skills. No lecture, just my 2-cents.

Back on track, if you have the drive-by-wire throttle system with no cable between the pedal and throttle body, there may be issues with this. I have it on my L300 and there have been associated problems but more with the mass airflow (MAF) sensor than throttle body. A throttle position sensor may be acting funny but again, in a throttle-by-wire system I think there are two in the throttle for redundancy protection. MAF sensor related problems can only be cleaned with maf cleaner due to the delicate element before outright replacement is needed. The TAC/APP, for throttle actuator/accelerator pedal position are totally electronic with few reliability issues. What's been posted as possible problems with either have never been followed up by the owners as to any results of repairs/replacements of these units or if it was totally unrelated. And the ones with TAC/APP problems were clearly having situations indicating the reduced power mode icon of the engine with a large down arrow. Limp home mode. Maybe yours is a vacuum leak? A maf sensor absolutely has to have a sealed air tube assembly so all the air flows through the maf sensor as any air leaks automatically leans out mixtures. Any recent work done that may have left loose fittings, clamps, hoses?

no nothing at all was worked on.... but with the spelling i really dont care... if you dont get it just ask me again to re write ... and i do understand the importance of correctly getting my meaning accross.. but is it really that important.... i understand what i wrote it was slightly mispelled.. i dont want to spend all day ..you know just posting it to get it done i got lots of things to do... you know.... but it hasnt done anything since but we will see.... but the car just turning off i seen that on here but didnt notice any way to correct it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

yes, it's important to write somewhat correctly. After 2 lines you lost me and I stopped reading your post and went back to the main thread. I just could not follow it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
NRJIZED

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
yes, it's important to write somewhat correctly. After 2 lines you lost me and I stopped reading your post and went back to the main thread. I just could not follow it.
Thank you, sir, for validating my point. I am less inclined to offer real assistance when someone can't take the time to simply look over what was written. If the point doesn't come off clearly enough, I'm distracted and then disinterested. Moving on to next thread with less "stuff" to read through.

By the way Firestomper.....bite me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #10
firestomper25

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Thank you, sir, for validating my point. I am less inclined to offer real assistance when someone can't take the time to simply look over what was written. If the point doesn't come off clearly enough, I'm distracted and then disinterested. Moving on to next thread with less "stuff" to read through.

By the way Firestomper.....bite me!
ok i do see your point. but if you were really interested in helping it wouldn't matter. You know if you would have been less a jerk and more helpful by maybe just saying hey it was hard to read what you wrote try to be a little clearer. that is something different. its called being nice. do you know what that means. just because you want to comment doesn't mean it has to be rude.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
NRJIZED

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestomper25 View Post
ok i do see your point. but if you were really interested in helping it wouldn't matter. You know if you would have been less a jerk and more helpful by maybe just saying hey it was hard to read what you wrote try to be a little clearer. that is something different. its called being nice. do you know what that means. just because you want to comment doesn't mean it has to be rude.
On the contrary, I do like to help, hence why I'm here. I'm also here to learn. If you can't be taken seriously because you won't take the time to proof and make sure the point you wanted to make is clear, then you get nowhere. Other people have made just as snappy a comment as I did here and you haven't gone off on them. If you don't care enough to proof, others won't care enough to sift through the run-ons and punctuation problems. I'm sure I'm not the only one that moves on to the next subject when they can't read through a clear post. If I didn't care at all, I wouldn't have commented to begin with. Don't be so thin-skinned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
firestomper25

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
On the contrary, I do like to help, hence why I'm here. I'm also here to learn. If you can't be taken seriously because you won't take the time to proof and make sure the point you wanted to make is clear, then you get nowhere. Other people have made just as snappy a comment as I did here and you haven't gone off on them. If you don't care enough to proof, others won't care enough to sift through the run-ons and punctuation problems. I'm sure I'm not the only one that moves on to the next subject when they can't read through a clear post. If I didn't care at all, I wouldn't have commented to begin with. Don't be so thin-skinned.
you commented because you wanted to be and a. Not to be helpful. personaly i dont give a dam if i read something that is jumbled for the most part its not that hard to figure out. Plus what i wrote may have been jumbled and kinda run on. But it wasnt that difficult to understand. The only reason i am responding to what you said is because you were the first to respond the way you did and others just joined you. Well honestly the point i try to make is always some what unclear. Thats just how i am. I will admit it its five topics in one run on sentence but you shouldnt insult people for how they write. Thats just the way i got use to writing. And you also didnt have anything to say about what i wrote from what you could understand. It doesnt matter ive seen some of your other posts your always an a.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #13
NRJIZED

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

C'mon man. Do I really have to be an a? I've always had a liking to the letter o.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #14
firestomper25

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
C'mon man. Do I really have to be an a? I've always had a liking to the letter o.
good one. for real at least you made me laugh this time instead of angry. For the next time dont be rude. sorry for the language bro and being rude back. After all one day you may have good advice that may actually help me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!