SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
bmwboyee
bmwboyee is on a distinguished road

Default Replacing Brakes, 14mm bolt broke off

I know this sounds really dump, but what direction am I supposed to turn my wrench to remove the 14mm bolts? I twisted mine off and now have to get an ez out to remove the bolt. When looking at the wheel I was twisting left. Should I have been going the other way?

please help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bmwboyee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bmwboyee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bmwboyee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Replacing Brakes, 14mm bolt broke off

you were going the right way, and yes, it sounds really dump, whatever that means.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
bmwboyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
you were going the right way, and yes, it sounds really dump, whatever that means.
I assume the bolt just ceased, but i also wanted to make sure before i did the other side. I am going to soak them in WD40 this time.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bmwboyee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboyee View Post
I assume the bolt just ceased, but i also wanted to make sure before i did the other side. I am going to soak them in WD40 this time.

Thanks
Why? Are they wet? WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil, it is a Water Displacer Formula 40. The retainers on your brakes shouldn't anywhere near rusted enough to need a penetrating oil, but for future reference, use PB B'Laster on stuck fasteners, not WD-40. Sounds like it was cross threaded to me, not rusted.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
bmwboyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Why? Are they wet? WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil, it is a Water Displacer Formula 40. The retainers on your brakes shouldn't anywhere near rusted enough to need a penetrating oil, but for future reference, use PB B'Laster on stuck fasteners, not WD-40. Sounds like it was cross threaded to me, not rusted.
cross threaded? is that going to give me problems when trying to back it out with the EZ out? and is that my best plan of attack?

Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

"dump" Righty tighty lefty loosy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Just because it's a water displacement doesn't mean it's not a penetrating oil. If you look it up it does serve as a penetrating oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRJIZED View Post
Just because it's a water displacement doesn't mean it's not a penetrating oil. If you look it up it does serve as a penetrating oil.
And where'd you get that crap, off of their website?? Just because it says it's a penetrating oil doesn't mean it's an effective one. When was the last time you walked into a professional auto repair facility and saw a can of WD-40 anywhere? WD-40's main purpose is to displace water, thus the name. Pick up a can of PB B'Laster, you'll never go back.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

WD 40 can serve to eliminate rust, it's what I use on my tools, It can also be used as a lube, but a good penetrating it is not.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
NRJIZED

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
And where'd you get that crap, off of their website?? Just because it says it's a penetrating oil doesn't mean it's an effective one. When was the last time you walked into a professional auto repair facility and saw a can of WD-40 anywhere? WD-40's main purpose is to displace water, thus the name. Pick up a can of PB B'Laster, you'll never go back.
Active duty Air Force for 16 years. Use WD-40 on rocket pods to penetrate the carbon build up on the firing contacts. Not my choice to use it. Our Technical Orders (T.O.'s) specifically call for that formula for lubrication and cleaning. In order to clean, the carbon has to be penetrated.

Wasn't necessary to come off so condescending.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
NRJIZED

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Also forgot to mention to the OP. Righty tighty, lefty loosee unless the bolt is backwards, like on the calipers. So it would be the opposite. I think you overtorqued the head of the bolt right off the shank. You did write "when looking at the wheel" so the bolt is reversed from that position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

WD 40 is great for cleaning but it's still not a penetrating lube. It's like a blackberry, it does everything a sort of well, but only one thing really well, displace water.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!