SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member
DJboozeAlot is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default one window not working...

on my 96 sc2 w/ power windows, the passenger side window WAS getting stuck about halfway when you roll it down(you could hear the motor trying to push it further, but it wouldn't go), and it goes up almost all the way, but stops about 1 inch short.

all of the sudden, it won't roll up or down at all. it's stuck about 1 inch from the top. when you hit the button to roll the window up, i don't hear any sound of any kind. i had tried hitting the door with my fist while pushing up/down on the window button, but no luck. i also couldn't get the window to move while pushing up/down on the window button while having a friend try to move the window simultaneously with his hands, but it won't budge.

the driver's window works fine.

what are some possible fixes for this??

Awesome Backpacking Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalBackpacker
Detroit Ghetto Documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxmshUEvbg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJboozeAlot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJboozeAlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJboozeAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
dcp
Advanced Member
dcp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: one window not working...

Maybe the contact under the switch needs a little cleaning.Pull foward or aft,I cant remember to take the switch plate off and the power window switch comes off with a copper contact under it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
v3rs3
v3rs3 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

You most likely need a new regulator, which are riveted into the door frame. If you're not mechanically inclined, I'd have someone who knew what they were doing repair it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to v3rs3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help v3rs3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

the connections underneath the switch appeared to be fine, but i cleaned them anyways. didn't help.

if the regulator was faulty, would you still hear the motor trying to work? when i hit the switch, you can hear a loud thumping/grinding noise from the window regulator. sounds like the gear on the regulator just isn't lining up right. would this be something that can be adjusted, or does this mean the whole thing needs to be replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DJboozeAlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
kx250ryder
kx250ryder will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

I had a problem similar with a driver's side motor that was being stubborn and not working intermitently. We (neighbor, my father, and I) took the door apart and noticed that it was really difficult to remove the bolts that hold the motor/gear assembly in place.

It dawned on us that the motor/gear assembly had torqued itself crooked in the mount, and as soon as we loosened the screws, the motor worked properly again.

Before you buy a new motor, see if your bolts are bound up, and if so, try loosening them, to allow the motor assembly to re-align with the mounting holes and see if that solves your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kx250ryder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kx250ryder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kx250ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250ryder View Post
I had a problem similar with a driver's side motor that was being stubborn and not working intermitently. We (neighbor, my father, and I) took the door apart and noticed that it was really difficult to remove the bolts that hold the motor/gear assembly in place.

It dawned on us that the motor/gear assembly had torqued itself crooked in the mount, and as soon as we loosened the screws, the motor worked properly again.

Before you buy a new motor, see if your bolts are bound up, and if so, try loosening them, to allow the motor assembly to re-align with the mounting holes and see if that solves your problem.
Glad I followed this thread; my front passenger side is doing exactly this. So I take it you removed the outer skin to do this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
jim22116
jim22116 is on a distinguished road

remove the door pannel and check to see if you have battery voltage at the motor connector. this can be done with a good test light or a volt ohm meter. if there is power, and ground, at both polarities (up and down). if the the circut is good replace the motor, if there is no power then the problem is either the switch or wiring itself, however i would suspect a switch at that point just from personal gm experience.

jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jim22116's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jim22116 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jim22116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim22116 View Post
remove the door pannel and check to see if you have battery voltage at the motor connector. this can be done with a good test light or a volt ohm meter. if there is power, and ground, at both polarities (up and down). if the the circut is good replace the motor, if there is no power then the problem is either the switch or wiring itself, however i would suspect a switch at that point just from personal gm experience.

jim
it definatly has power, i don't need to test it to know... you can hear the motor, but it sounds like the gears arent lining up right... the window won't work ONLY when within 3 inches of being fully rolled up, and won't roll down past halfway. it works fine in between those 2 positions.

i will be removing the outer door panel to inspect the operation of the motor and make sure everything is lined up right next time i get the chance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
RicSC2
RicSC2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

The outer door panel comes off with 8 torex screws...but you will have to (or should) remove the outside mirror first. If you want to replace the regulator and/or motor do a search here for a "how to". You will need to remove the interior door panel also. There are 4 or five screws that need removed to release the regulator, and they are assesible only from the interior side of the door. The regulator is spring loaded so be careful when you remove it. Some recommend that you drill a hole through the regulator frame and insert a stop bolt/nut to prevent it from unwinding once it's removed. The only somewhat tricky pieces are removing the window from the regulator and removing the outside door handle. I just replaced my window motor this past weekend and was done in about three hours, taking my time. If you decide to fix it yourself, let me know and I can probably help you out with a run down of the procedures. I would still recommend reviewing the how to, as it saved me much time and effort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote