SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
NVMY03GT
NVMY03GT is on a distinguished road

Default Harmonic Balancer?

Hey guys. I took my car over to another service shop and started asking about Timing chains. The mechanic was awesome he went out and asked me to replicate the noise. Again he was baffled he said that was not a Timing chain no way. He said it either does the noise or doesn't. He said the fact you took off the belt and the noise goes away amazes me. So he got a Master tech to come out and look at it. Master tech went out and pressed down on the alternator and the noise seemed to go away a little so he said it could be an alternator or possibly a "Harmonic Balancer". Which is much more reassuring than a TIMING CHAIN. So my question is. Not that I know how to fix it but can someone tell me where this Harmonic Balancer IS? Also is there a Tightning of the Alternator some how or anything that can even rattle on it?

Be nice to me - Im still Learning

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NVMY03GT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NVMY03GT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NVMY03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Harmonic Balancer?

He's talking about the large pulley that bolts to the end of the crankshaft. I have a rattling noise at certain RPM's and noticed that mine seems to wobble a bit. Let us know if he replaces it and if it fixes your problem.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
He's talking about the large pulley that bolts to the end of the crankshaft. I have a rattling noise at certain RPM's and noticed that mine seems to wobble a bit. Let us know if he replaces it and if it fixes your problem.
THATS the Harmonic Balancer? I know where the Crankshaft Pulley is. But I thought it was something that just sits down there and distributes noise. This does it at IDLE and its like a hard rattle and not a whine.

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NVMY03GT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
blackeagle1

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

The crankshaft pulley and harmonic balancer are different names for the same part.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
NVMY03GT

Quote:
The crankshaft pulley and harmonic balancer are different names for the same part.
Nice - What about this Alternator thing. Is it possible to Tighten one or is it one of those things Shot or not shot type of deals?

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
blackeagle1

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I don't think there is much you can do with the alternator. It's basically hard mounted and you should check if the mounting bolts are tight. If the alternator pulley is loose because of bad bearings, you would need to replace it.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
NVMY03GT

Quote:
I don't think there is much you can do with the alternator. It's basically hard mounted and you should check if the mounting bolts are tight. If the alternator pulley is loose because of bad bearings, you would need to replace it.

yeah I agree if the pulley is shot thats one thing. Nice this mechanic has me thinking again!!! DAMNIT!!!

Is your rattle at IDLE? I can deal with a rattle while driving but when it gets cold and I start it up. Its not exactly neighbor friendly and when I put it in REVERSE God Help them all

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
blackeagle1

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Mine rattles all the time but it seems to be worse under load at about 1900 RPMs and is hardly noticeable otherwise while driving. The noise mostly goes away when I take off the belt. I have a couple of extra crank pulley's so I may try changing it to see if it makes a difference.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Mine rattles all the time but it seems to be worse under load at about 1900 RPMs. The noise mostly goes away when I take off the belt. I have a couple of extra crank pulley's so I may try changing it to see if it makes a differnce.
See thats my problem mine rattles at IDLE only. 1900 the noise is gone so its the exact opposite

I don't know I may bite the bullet and let these guys look at it.

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
NVMY03GT

Someone mentioned a while ago something on the drivers side I could also look at to see if it was rattling something to do with the transmission I think but I don't remember what it was. It was some kind of plate or something?

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
skenzer
skenzer is on a distinguished road

this site is awesome! wish i found it before digging into the heart of my vehicle.

that harmonic balancer... what is the torque to get that bolt out? i had to borrow an 800 ft-lb air wrench to get it off. is that normal?

also, what's the deal with the chinese puzzle on getting that engine mount that's right there back in? i finally did it, but don't even remember how. there was a lot of swearing involved...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skenzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skenzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenzer View Post
this site is awesome! wish i found it before digging into the heart of my vehicle.

that harmonic balancer... what is the torque to get that bolt out? i had to borrow an 800 ft-lb air wrench to get it off. is that normal?

also, what's the deal with the chinese puzzle on getting that engine mount that's right there back in? i finally did it, but don't even remember how. there was a lot of swearing involved...
"LMFAO @ The Chinese Puzzle"

They actually make a special tool to pull out that Harmonic Balancer - I spoke to someone about it today thats the only reason I know. So it probably is normal for that amount of torue to get that thing out of there.

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 AM   #13
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Wait a min... they could press down on the alt and "tighten" it up and the noise went away? How the heck does that work....

If your alternator has play in it, that may be your problem.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #14
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
Wait a min... they could press down on the alt and "tighten" it up and the noise went away? How the heck does that work....

If your alternator has play in it, that may be your problem.
Well the noise didn't go "AWAY" per say it just "altered" the noise is all really. I think the point he was trying to make is that its not a Timing Chain and its in a Belt Driven item which reassures me a little bit but I just wish I could find it now because if its Belt Drive I can replace one of those accessories. I meean any of them are not hard to get a hold of.

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

So the noise isn't there with the belt off? Defiantly a belt driven item then. Try spinning each one by hand (might want a cooled engine, I dunno how hot it gets on that side...). The one(s) with random resistance to turning or actually making a noise should be the culprit.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
So the noise isn't there with the belt off? Defiantly a belt driven item then. Try spinning each one by hand (might want a cooled engine, I dunno how hot it gets on that side...). The one(s) with random resistance to turning or actually making a noise should be the culprit.
Correct - Noise is gone with Belt off.

All pulleys spin freely. I think its a shop thing time Its just going to piss me off when they find the culprit and its clear as day

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Grasp one pulley firmly and push/pull sideways against the bearing(s) to feel for sideplay; compare one pulley against another to develop a feel for what's ok and what's not ok. The bad bearing's sideplay will be noticeable and by forcing it to one side is duplicating the side force of the belt (preload) and turning it simultaneously you'll feel worn balls. I know, but that's literally the best way to describe worn balls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #18
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

That mechanic must have REALLY thin arms as the alternator on an "S" series is located UNDER the powersteering pump and practically impossible to reach safely on a running engine.

"S" series engines are INTERNALLY BALANCED, they do not have "harmonic balancers. While the crankshaft pulley does provide some counterbalancing and vibration dampening for the end of the crankshaft in relation to the OILPUMP, and timing chain componants, it does not "balance" the engine in any way.

The belt tensioner keeps the tension of the installed belt fairly consistant. Even stressing an STATIONARY (as in solidly mounted and NON-Adjustable) belt driven componant will make NO DIFFERENCE in the stresses on the componants them selves. If the tone changed when he stressed the belt, it suggest the BELT itself may need replacing, or the pulleys themselves are dirty.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #19
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
That mechanic must have REALLY thin arms as the alternator on an "S" series is located UNDER the powersteering pump and practically impossible to reach safely on a running engine.

"S" series engines are INTERNALLY BALANCED, they do not have "harmonic balancers. While the crankshaft pulley does provide some counterbalancing and vibration dampening for the end of the crankshaft in relation to the OILPUMP, and timing chain componants, it does not "balance" the engine in any way.

The belt tensioner keeps the tension of the installed belt fairly consistant. Even stressing an STATIONARY (as in solidly mounted and NON-Adjustable) belt driven componant will make NO DIFFERENCE in the stresses on the componants them selves. If the tone changed when he stressed the belt, it suggest the BELT itself may need replacing, or the pulleys themselves are dirty.
Good call on the Harmonic Balancer. And yes he did have some Small arms to get down there I agree because its not exactly safe to get to.

The belt "appears" to be in decent shape. There is zero tension on it as I can attempt to pull on it when its all together and it moves next to nothing. The rattle I'm referring to doesn't sound like a "slip" It sounds like a Metal against metal rattle. As like the Alternator bolt could be rattling or as suggest above a bearing going bad in a pulley but like I said I've wiggled the pulleys and they don't have play to them. I've used a Stethescope to probe around and the most clatter I hear was the Power steering pump but the pump itself is anchored to the top of the engine so noise can replicate itself pretty easy. But again belt off noise goes away . The only thing I could do really is buy another belt without Power Steering to see if the noise goes away but them Im out $35.00 for a belt Ill never use again to replicate a noise.

Suggestions?

2003 Saturn Ion 3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #20
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY03GT View Post
Good call on the Harmonic Balancer. And yes he did have some Small arms to get down there I agree because its not exactly safe to get to.

The belt "appears" to be in decent shape. There is zero tension on it as I can attempt to pull on it when its all together and it moves next to nothing. The rattle I'm referring to doesn't sound like a "slip" It sounds like a Metal against metal rattle. As like the Alternator bolt could be rattling or as suggest above a bearing going bad in a pulley but like I said I've wiggled the pulleys and they don't have play to them. I've used a Stethescope to probe around and the most clatter I hear was the Power steering pump but the pump itself is anchored to the top of the engine so noise can replicate itself pretty easy. But again belt off noise goes away . The only thing I could do really is buy another belt without Power Steering to see if the noise goes away but them Im out $35.00 for a belt Ill never use again to replicate a noise.

Suggestions?
Odds are (expirence talking here) that what you hear is a DRY BEARING on either the tensioner or idler pulley. The bearing has not actually begun to FAIL yet (so no wobble) but is begining to and is "squeeking" under load.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote