SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
natIONnal city
natIONnal city is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Question What turbo is in the sky redline?

Looked at the sky redline today and I was think about getting the exhaust manifold ,intercooler and maybe the turbo to start with. What turbo is it? Anyone know.

redline sky max boost 14psi lol not bad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to natIONnal city's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help natIONnal city reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
natIONnal city is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
dcfatalis100
dcfatalis100 is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 AURA XR
Default Re: What turbo is in the sky redline?

Probably a small one. Which means 14psi isnt that great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcfatalis100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcfatalis100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcfatalis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
IonSpeedMaster
IonSpeedMaster is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Its a 2.0 Engine, so I dont think its a direct swap at all. There would probably be a lot of custom fabbing that youd have to do to make it fit. Its a whole lot more than just buying the turbo and intercooler and everything and just bolting it up.
My dad works at the plant where the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline are built BTW. Solstice GXP, which is the same as the SRL mechanically, is capable of 20psi in first gear. I hit 19psi in my neighborhood when I got to drive an automatic one he brought home for a weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonSpeedMaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonSpeedMaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonSpeedMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Ok so 2.0 sky redline and 2.0 ion redline engines are the same right? IONSPEEDMASTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help natIONnal city reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfatalis100
Probably a small one. Which means 14psi isnt that great.
maybe T3 turbo?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
IonSpeedMaster

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natIONnal city
I was think about getting the exhaust manifold ,intercooler and [U]maybe[/U] the turbo to start with. What turbo is it? Anyone know.

redline sky max boost 14psi lol not bad
Why are you coming at me. And no the IRL and SRL arent the same. Why would you get their exhaust manifold (header) and intercooler but maybe their turbo? An intercooler on a N/A car is dead weight, it wont do anything. I was just explaining to you, because maybe you didnt know, that buying a turbo, or a turbo kit for that matter, intails a whole lot more than bolting a few things up and saying go. And I was just informing you about the boost capabilities of the car. sheesh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IonSpeedMaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

So why do I have a ion redline manifold on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
IonSpeedMaster

2004 ION-2 Sedan

The manifold may be one thing...i'll admit that I didnt know those were compatible. But what are you gonig to do with an intercooler?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Bro you can buy a kit or get parts and make your own . I work at the dealership cost + 10 hopefully when I get all my parts HPTUNNERS
will have something out ,if not ill just have to get a standalone system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

The big thing to look out for in using the Sky Redline's turbo manifold, turbo, and intercooler is that the engine in the Sky is placed longitudinally in the chassis, as opposed to transversely in the Ion. You would need to be sure that the manifold will clear the firewall and somewhat line up with the exhaust system in order to function. You wouldn't want to put a big dogleg in your exhaust pipe, that would be worse than going with a tiny exhaust.

From what I've heard, the Ion Redline manifold will bolt up to the standard 2.2, so it's possible that the Sky Redline manifold will bolt up to the 2.2/2.4, but you will need to make sure that you will have the proper clearance. There was a hot trend for a while over on TurboSaturns where people were getting the Saab turbo manifold and turbo in an attempt to make something, but there wasn't enough clearance between the engine and the firewall to fit the thing.

I am confused though, why you would want to modify Sky Redline pieces when you could get together with Kevin over at Speed Mafia. He should be able to hook you up with some solid turbo pieces in a little while. Give him an email. Or you could surf eBay and buy one of the turbo manifolds on sale there. I wish you luck in whatever you do.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #11
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I PDI the skyRL that day and the boost gauge read 14psi max in 2nd and 3rd gear (manaul transmission) .It spools pretty qiuck .I really think its a T3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

^^^ +1 speedmafia u can always upgrade belts/pulleys

VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
I PDI the skyRL that day and the boost gauge read 14psi max in 2nd and 3rd gear (manaul transmission) .It spools pretty qiuck .I really think its a T3
um.... so there IS a boost gauge in it?... i drove one and didn't see it, and have been told there isn't one...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 PM   #14
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

yup DIGITAL 07 sliver ext. black int. with red insert .nice.
Ill try to take some pics tomorrow .hope they dont sell it yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #15
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX712517
The big thing to look out for in using the Sky Redline's turbo manifold, turbo, and intercooler is that the engine in the Sky is placed longitudinally in the chassis, as opposed to transversely in the Ion. You would need to be sure that the manifold will clear the firewall and somewhat line up with the exhaust system in order to function. You wouldn't want to put a big dogleg in your exhaust pipe, that would be worse than going with a tiny exhaust.

From what I've heard, the Ion Redline manifold will bolt up to the standard 2.2, so it's possible that the Sky Redline manifold will bolt up to the 2.2/2.4, but you will need to make sure that you will have the proper clearance. There was a hot trend for a while over on TurboSaturns where people were getting the Saab turbo manifold and turbo in an attempt to make something, but there wasn't enough clearance between the engine and the firewall to fit the thing.

I am confused though, why you would want to modify Sky Redline pieces when you could get together with Kevin over at Speed Mafia. He should be able to hook you up with some solid turbo pieces in a little while. Give him an email. Or you could surf eBay and buy one of the turbo manifolds on sale there. I wish you luck in whatever you do.

Thanks thx712517
Ill try and see if the mani. will clear the firewall,If not find some way to tilt the engine forward some how.The manifold and intercooler is cheap.
Ill try to get them first and build from their. No dogleg for me thats ugly man.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Off topic,Check out this manifold http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...?topic=69917.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #17
HeroHog
HeroHog is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Oh ick! I bet it flows like a MoFo with those 90 degree bends!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HeroHog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HeroHog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HeroHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Chriscnl
Chriscnl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok so 2.0 sky redline and 2.0 ion redline engines are the same right? IONSPEEDMASTER
For those of you that thinks the Sky 2.0L is the same as the Ion 2.0L... No they are not the same powerplant...Ions has port fuel injection...Sky RL has Direct Injection. Also a way different intake manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chriscnl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chriscnl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chriscnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 AM   #19
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscnl
For those of you that thinks the Sky 2.0L is the same as the Ion 2.0L... No they are not the same powerplant...Ions has port fuel injection...Sky RL has Direct Injection. Also a way different intake manifold.
But everthing else is.(long block) Right Chriscnl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #20
natIONnal city

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Information Re: What turbo is in the sky redline?

I still think its a T3 turbo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!