SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Biases aside, I think the new 2003 L revisions are generally a...
Improvement 30 45.45%
Dissapointment 23 34.85%
Neither Nor 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 12:14 AM   #1
SweetASSaturn
SweetASSaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Biases Aside I think... (LSeries Debate)

Just vote not complicated.

I love my Saab.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SweetASSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SweetASSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2002, 12:17 AM   #2
SweetASSaturn

No matter what you say you can't deny that the 2003 L-Series has style gains over the 2002 and 2001 models.

I love my Saab.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SweetASSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 12:30 AM   #3
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Ahh well, I said it was a disappointment, though I don't feel as strongly negative as some others here do about it. I've mentioned before, that I think it is a reasonable adaptation of the modern trend for spastic design. I like the attempt to make the front more aggressive... just wish they could have done it without making it look like such an obvious tack-on. Kind of reminds me of the original VW jetta's... it was almost as if you could see the line where they welded a trunk onto a Rabbit (the predecessor to the Golf, for those on this board not old enough to remember).

I don't hate it, but looking at it makes me somewhat nostalgic for the styling of my 2001 LW300.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 12:32 AM   #4
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Oh, and BTW, I actually like the '03 grille. In spite of what I said above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:06 AM   #5
medium red
medium red is on a distinguished road

Seeing the 2002 and 2003 L models side by side at the Auto Show in NY, I really felt the 2003 was an improvement. When the original L came out in 1999, I couldn't believe what Saturns stylists had done to the Vectra, which I had driven in Germany—and which was a sporty looking sedan. The L looked rounded, plump and rather dull. The Vectra's crisp tail, rather like the Volvo S70's, was gone, replaced by a bulbous rump and a sea of yellow and red reflex. The front styling was more restrained, but seemed to be in an entirely different scale than that in back. The whole car looked as though it were pitched slightly forward, but, because the styling was so conservative, that looked odd, rather than racy.

I think the styling revisions for 2003 correct a lot of those design flaws. The expanse of plastic reflector is gone from the trunk. The hood has been raised and the new grille and headlights relate better to the size of the taillights and height of the trunk lid. The car has also been leveled a bit. To me, it's still not as attractive as the Vectra it was based on (or the new one). It still lacks the Vectra's sportiness, but it's a better balanced design—and probably more competitive in its class.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to medium red's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help medium red reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:12 AM   #6
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Put together an old school Subaru Legacy grill

Ford Contour headlights

and the airdam of a Toyota Avalon

You get the new front end of the 2003 Saturn L series

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:20 AM   #7
DBLW1
Advanced Member

At this angle, there's definitely hints of an older Toyota Avalon and Camry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:28 AM   #8
DBLW1
Advanced Member

And then you got the decontenting of the rear disc brakes on the 4 cylinder Ls, banishment of the L100s, ABS & Side Airbags moving to optional even after a few commercials praising their safety for the standard side airbags and we'll see if the price will reflect the ABS&Side curtains deleted, and the Japanese influenced exterior body changes.

Credit goes to Dach for this picture.

That's a HUGE nose. It looks out of proportion now. I like the exterior of the ION sedan because it looks like the 2000-2002 L series. The 2003 L series, just look generic.

The underappreciated 2000-2002 L's look much better or more proportioned.

Compare:

That nose on the 2003 looks way out of sync with the rest of the body. Fat is the best word I can describe that front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2002, 01:39 AM   #9
DBLW1
Advanced Member

Another side profile compare:

Doesn't it look like the 2000-2002 L's look better proportionally?

Here's the part I don't get.

If this looks:

2000-2002 L series

looks like this:

2003 ION

Then why this???

picture provided by TexSat
2003 L series

That black 2002 LW look better than the 2003 LW.

Last edited by DBLW1; 04-22-2002 at 01:49 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2002, 01:50 AM   #10
DBLW1
Advanced Member

Correction, some of the picture of the 03 L is provided by TexSat, not Dach. Darn time limit on Edits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2002, 03:11 AM   #11
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I like that green on the new LWx00 - nice shade. (Kinda reminds me of the cammos my mom wore growing up though...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 08:52 AM   #12
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Haven't seen the 2003 in person but from the pictures I have seen I like the way the 2000 - 2002 looks by far. Again this is personal taste. I can't believed they even bothered as this is the last year for the L-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 02:07 PM   #13
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

Big kudo to DBLW1's side by side and front by front pictures between '00-02 vs '03 L series.
Again it's personal taste, but I think DBLW has a valid point about the generic and out-proportion front end in '03.

Is the '02 first gen L-series look really uninspiring? I found it looks mysterious with subtle aggressive, and esp still has strong Saturn's cue.

This angle shows the best of the design:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 02:26 PM   #14
FireMate
FireMate is on a distinguished road

Granted, even though I was sitting inside the new ones in New York for SaturnCanada, and even though I didn't like some of the exterior styling, I had to admit I liked the inside. The quality of fabric is greatly improved, the headliner inside greatly improved, moving away from woodgrain and going with carbon fibre is incredible, and making the white-face gauges light up from behind more than what is currently done (lights still shining from above)... and the list goes on. The headlights, while a little on the large Ford Contour side, still look great when lit-up with their projector style beams. The rear lights look incredible up close... I think that is the general problem here. Everything looks good up front, so sadly all these pictures don't do it justice. I still prefer by far the overall look of the current L-series, but this will be a welcome (albeit short) restyle, until 2005.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FireMate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FireMate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #15
hoperlw1
hoperlw1 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad I could get a 2002. I don't think the 2003 would have even been on my list to check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoperlw1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoperlw1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 02:54 PM   #16
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I agree DBLW ... i would have rather seen the new ION sedan styling on the 2003 L series than the current design.

But the 2003 styling isnt that bad .. yea, the front is a bit loud, but the rear was well done. Im really going to have to see this car in 3D to be sure. But im not excited about the new styling either. Nothing id go run out and trade-in my 01 L300 for.

Glad to hear that they got rid of that front projection gauge style. That barely fits in a $15k car, let alone a $25k car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 03:02 PM   #17
DBLW1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
But the 2003 styling isnt that bad .. yea, the front is a bit loud, but the rear was well done. Im really going to have to see this car in 3D to be sure. But im not excited about the new styling either. Nothing id go run out and trade-in my 01 L300 for.

Glad to hear that they got rid of that front projection gauge style. That barely fits in a $15k car, let alone a $25k car.
The Hyundai Sonata and Tiburon's headlights are projector style too. I think if you check out the 03 L series, the rear lights have this circular beam to it. It almost mimics exactly the style that's in the Sonata.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #18
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I think i misused the word "projector" but i was refering to the current "front lit" saturn gauges.

But thats good that the headlights are bubble-projector style. This makes retrofitting HID lights easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2002, 03:24 PM   #19
DBLW1
Advanced Member

oops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2002, 04:31 PM   #20
SweetASSaturn

Quote:
Originally posted by ricksLS1
Haven't seen the 2003 in person but from the pictures I have seen I like the way the 2000 - 2002 looks by far. Again this is personal taste. I can't believed they even bothered as this is the last year for the L-Series.
Now here is a good example of what happens when people don't explain a rumor. NO this is not the last year. They're not even talking of it being the last year, so i dont know where you got that from.

They're giving the car this new style to try to help the car's future of production, not send it off.

I love my Saab.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread