SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
99/02SC2Kid
99/02SC2Kid is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Diff Pin

That damn Diff pin came out, but if anyone can tell me where to get a new transaxle housing please help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99/02SC2Kid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99/02SC2Kid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99/02SC2Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Re: Diff Pin

transaxles are cheap at the junkyard. I think they go for like $40 round here

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

What ^^^^^ he said. I wouldn't stop with the housing.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

What causes a diff pin to come out?! Also if one comes out, does that kill the tranny?!

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac
What causes a diff pin to come out?! Also if one comes out, does that kill the tranny?!
Hmmm must be you're not the maniac we were thinking you are... lol
Generally it blows a hole in the housing, which also allows all the fuild to leak out. It probably takes out other stuff as well and it sounds like it's just easier to replace the entire thing.
Oh, get it welded before putting the next one in.
It comes out most often by doing burnouts where one tire spins a lot faster then the other one, theres a night vid of it somewhere 'round here, you can hear it breaking.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido
Hmmm must be you're not the maniac we were thinking you are... lol
Generally it blows a hole in the housing, which also allows all the fuild to leak out. It probably takes out other stuff as well and it sounds like it's just easier to replace the entire thing.
Oh, get it welded before putting the next one in.
It comes out most often by doing burnouts where one tire spins a lot faster then the other one, theres a night vid of it somewhere 'round here, you can hear it breaking.

Crap, I'd hate for that to happen with my Saturn. I thought these cars were supposed to be safe and get your money's worth and all that other good stuff. But regular driving don't cause this, I guess street racing and all that crap?!

I don't know everything about Saturns, I want to learn everything about them, LOL.....that's why I ask 100 questions.

Saturns are good cars, just seems like some of the stuff I read makes them almost like GM's "experimental" car.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Don't spin your wheels or prepare to have a broken tranny.

http://www.hardcars.com/headerman/saturntranny.mpg

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
Don't spin your wheels or prepare to have a broken tranny.
Yeah it dosn't seem to matter if it's an auto or manual either, although it's much more commen fo it to go on a manual...
I don't think I've heard of it comeing out with out the tires having been spun or major heavy abuse.
That said, I do believe a lot of auto-crossers don't weld the diff pin and have no problems with it.

I knew the vid was somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Yeah it dosn't seem to matter if it's an auto or manual either, although it's much more commen fo it to go on a manual...
I don't think I've heard of it comeing out with out the tires having been spun or major heavy abuse.
That said, I do believe a lot of auto-crossers don't weld the diff pin and have no problems with it.

I knew the vid was somewhere.
Traction control is also a major prevention device against diff pin failure. If you can't do a burnout, you're relatively safe (I'm sure some idiots can still find a way to break it).

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
joker53773
joker53773 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

i think i just lost mine no noise really nothing just going down the street and saw some smoke got home to see the fuild leaking out cant see from where anythink else it could be

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joker53773's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joker53773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joker53773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #11
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I have seen posts from those that know that say it can come out under normal usage, but it's pretty uncommon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
DukeCitySC2
DukeCitySC2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

I still don't understand why a burnout would cause the pin to go. The diff pin doesn't know the difference between driving straight ahead at 120 mph and moving at 20 mph with the wheel spinning at 50 mph. The centrifugal force on it is the same. I've never heard of a pin throwing at high speed. I think there must be more to it. I'd bet it has something to do with the spider gears jamming or failing, and taking out the pin.

By the way, Joker, if you were driving home in your car, the diff pin isn't the problem. It would completely grind to a sudden halt, and you would hear noises that would make you wet your pants...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DukeCitySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DukeCitySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DukeCitySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #13
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCitySC2
I still don't understand why a burnout would cause the pin to go. The diff pin doesn't know the difference between driving straight ahead at 120 mph and moving at 20 mph with the wheel spinning at 50 mph. The centrifugal force on it is the same. I've never heard of a pin throwing at high speed. I think there must be more to it. I'd bet it has something to do with the spider gears jamming or failing, and taking out the pin.

By the way, Joker, if you were driving home in your car, the diff pin isn't the problem. It would completely grind to a sudden halt, and you would hear noises that would make you wet your pants...
That would be true if both wheels were turning at the same rate. However, when doing a burnout, both wheels rarely turn at the same rate. It is the difference between the rate the left wheel is turning and the right wheel is turning that encourages the diff pin to come out. This happens when you are going around turns too that's why you have a differential. However, when turning you aren't putting near the strain on the transmission you are when doing a burn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #14
DukeCitySC2
DukeCitySC2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
That would be true if both wheels were turning at the same rate. However, when doing a burnout, both wheels rarely turn at the same rate. It is the difference between the rate the left wheel is turning and the right wheel is turning that encourages the diff pin to come out. This happens when you are going around turns too that's why you have a differential. However, when turning you aren't putting near the strain on the transmission you are when doing a burn out.
I understand that, but the forces on the diff pin when the wheels are turning at different rates would not act to force the pin longitudinally, in fact they are negligible. The spider gears have equal forces on each side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DukeCitySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DukeCitySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DukeCitySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
I have seen posts from those that know that say it can come out under normal usage, but it's pretty uncommon.
That claim is very suspicious coming from anyone that is in their teens or twenties.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #16
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:

IT isn't so much the burnout that throws the diff pin, it's the sudden gain of traction at the end. Happens a lot here in ny when someone gets stuck in the snow, roasts the tires to get out of it, then when they hit pavement the tires suddenly gain traction....no more diff pin.
Also, there are times when you will be able to drive a car with a thrown diff pin. It doesn't always come all the way out and it doesn't always come right through the case. I've repaired some where the pin is onlyu partially out and just barely hitting the case, but enough to cause a fissure and for the fluid to leak out quickly.
Trans replacement isn't necessarily the best route. When you can get a pick n pull tranny for $40, it certainly is, however when we repair them in the shop we replace the case half and the differential and use the other internals from the tranny. Fairly simple repair actually, and MUCH less than a factory reman.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #17
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I understand that, but the forces on the diff pin when the wheels are turning at different rates would not act to force the pin longitudinally, in fact they are negligible. The spider gears have equal forces on each side.
Yeah, but there's not much holding it in to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSC2
That claim is very suspicious coming from anyone that is in their teens or twenties.
If Wolfman says it can happen, I'm not gonna argue with him. If my 17 year old nephew says it did, I'll argue with him.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The diff pin is retained in the differential housing by a rool pin. Abuse of the transaxle (which includes burnouts, or habitual shifting from forward to reverse gears with the car moving in the opposite direction) cause the dif pin to gradually hammer away at the retaining roll pin until it shears. At that point, basically NOTHING is holding the diff pin itself in place and centrifugal force eventually does the rest. (Propels the diff pin out of the housing with gradual or spectacular results depending on the circumstances the car is being operated in when it happens.

NOTE: Even if YOU NEVER have done this, you bought the car USED and have no way of knowing for SURE how it was treated by the previous owner or owners.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #19
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
...or habitual shifting from forward to reverse gears with the car moving in the opposite direction)...
crap.
I suppose it still effects it if the car is moving under 5mph, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #20
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
crap.
I suppose it still effects it if the car is moving under 5mph, right?
The potential cumulative effects are basically the same. It just will take a longer or shorter time frame to reach the same end result depending on the factors involved.

(Sort of like trying to drive a nail with a hammer....you can do it quickly with a couple or even one good wack! Or slowly, with a whole lot of short little ones.)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote