SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Sexy's got a bad case of ECTS?!

I've been reading about ECTS problems and after finding out that the 2000 models still have the plastic tips, I am starting to think this might be my problem!!!! I sure hope it is!!!! This will be one of the FIRST things we change. My car doesn't appear to be running hot, but if the ECTS isn't working right, I guess my temp gauge might be off....my car does blow out some hot...and I mean HOT air when I put the heat on max.....but still, no way to really judge. I'm not really having high idle....think it idles at 700rpm or so. The thing is when I first turn the car on, it hits 2000rpm's then goes down to about 1000 then slowly to 700.....I don't know if the 2000 is normal or not. My car makes weird noises sometimes, as I once said before. The only thing I'm not sure about, is can the ECTS make cylinder 4 misfire.....I'm assuming it can because it might have to do something with timing. It seems like a bad ECTS is like crack to a Saturn, LOL......that's pretty much how I describe my car, it's on crack, because it wants to keep acting different so much, it doesn't keep doing one thing besides the misfire, but the noises change, it seems sometimes it runs better hot, sometimes it runs better cold....it's like a mental patient, LOL......it can't make up it's mind!!!! Although according to the temp gauge, it seems my car will get hot fairly quick if left idling too long (like at a fast food joint).....my other Saturn didn't have that problem.....I mean the engine fan will kick on constantly if it's left idling. Then again I have a coolant leak (leaves very small puddles), so I'm also going to assume the ECTS can make it leak?! I just hope this $30 or whatever part fixes it.....and if it does I'm going to laugh so hard.....it's amazing how one small thing can cause a HUGE problem.....these kind of things always amaze me.

I think I'm going to PRAY this is what's wrong.

Please God, let this heal my Sexy.

Also, if ECTS is the problem (and I know the car is acting very strange) is it safe to drive it for two hours straight.....I have to drive it to my parent's house to work on it....I live in an apartment complex and they have a strict policy about not working on cars here.....besides I have no tools here anyways.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Sexy's got a bad case of ECTS?!

Are you for real? You've been on here *****ing and moaning about your damn car doing this, and that and not driving right, and accusing mechanics of srewing you over, and now you think it's the ********** ECTS!!??!?!?!?!? WTF about this thread, where we all told you over and over again to change it because the 2000s had the plastic tipped one?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac
God Bless The Dead Saturns (And The Ones With Abusive Owners)
Applying this to oneself now are we?
You may not quite qualify as abusive but ignoring so many posts about the ECTS qualifies you as SOMETHING.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Instead of wondering which ECTS you have in there inspect it. You can do this without removing it. Look at the picture to see the difference....

If the connector is green with corrosion replace it, dont try to clean it.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Sorry I ignored you guys about the ECTS. It honestly wasn't my fault. My dad is stupid and said something like an ECTS wouldn't cause a misfire....now that he finally talked to someone at work with a Saturn he realized it could be. I told him time and time again "we need to change the ECTS"....he thought I was stupid for even bringing it up...I told him, he's never owned a Saturn, and I have....and majority of my friends have older Saturns. I'm going to kick his butt if it is the ECTS, because once again I was right and he didn't wanna listen to me just because he thinks I don't know anything because I'm 20 and he's 50. I'm going to kick his butt on behalf of Sexy. I feel so bad driving my car like this. I knew I should've just had my friend help me change it. The reason I got mad about the mechanic is when I tried to ask about the ECTS, they wanted to be like my dad and say it wasn't....if the guy really had been working on Saturns for 8 years, I think he would've seen ECTS problems before. DAMNIT!!!! I knew I should've just gotten my friend Mike to help me with the ECTS!!!! I'm honestly sorry for being such a b!!tch, I didn't mean to take it out on you guys, just I was frustrated because no one wanted to listen to me, meaning my dad and the people at the dealer.....but the people at the dealer are rude anyways.....they kept questioning everything I said....let alone that, the mechanic said the engines don't have a VIN or any labeling on them, which is a lie. So I'll be changing the ECTS and looking at the engine VIN when I get to NC. I just wish my dad would trust me more.....I mean, how many times have I helped him work on cars and given him better ways to do things (which he won't listen to my way until he's tried a million harder ways). I might not be able to rebuild an engine like him, but that doesn't make me stupid. It gets on my nerves, he ALWAYS questions me when I say my car is doing something and tell him what it's doing, like he doesn't believe me until he sees the car do it.

It's like, why do me and my car have to suffer cause my dad doesn't trust me or whatever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

You honestly have named your car Sexy?? You must be lonely....

If it's your car, why are you not changing out a known bad part until you get your daddy's permission? The ECTS is around $15, just replace it and get it over with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

hmm.. why is everybody yelling at SaturnManiac? Normally people yell at me!

Anyway, she doesnt know too much about cars, and both her parents and mine are really anal about getting cars to run right. She doesnt need permission to change it, she just needs her dad's help. I dont really need my parents permission to work on it, but if the repair renders the car unoperable for a period of time, such as removing the ECTS, then they get angry. I just recently swapped a rim because i am getting the other one powder coated, and my dad threw a fit because i had to put the spare on, and he drives at least 30 miles to work going about 75-80 mph. Instead, he had to drive his own gas-guzzling car.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Ok, I can understand the parent going crazy thing but with such an easy to do part replacement that has been gone over way to many times.......
You're the *experienced* saturn person and you're 20.
My dad keeps bothering me about getting the sunroof I don't care about fixed(it dosn't leak but dosn't move either, it'd be way to bright for me if it did open) and with the RKE I got I found the trunk latch button dosn't work either but the key does, so I'm not worried about that...
parents with lots of general car knowledge are not good with saturns (s-series ones at least) as they are unique.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

xsaturnx- Its not the point. I know I told her about the ects and i offered to buy her the damn thing because she said her budget was low. Its a $15 part, and because i have my ways at the parts store i can get it for waaaayyyy cheaper.

So many people have said in so many threads to change it, and shes ignored that, instead going on and on about other things being wrong, taking it to the shop, yelling at people etc.

saturnmaniac- I hope you get some help. For the sake of everyone on this board. SOOOO many people told you what to fix and how to fix it and you told them that wasnt it. The people here have more experience than your dad, the people here know the cars like the back of their hand, the people here have not steered me wrong yet on a single thing (Ok uzzy told me that cana im just kidding) that has been troublesome with my car. To blantly ignore them was like a kick in the teeth, and quite rude.

Your ects does not need to be done at your dads house, go outside, pull the connector, get the ects off, hurry up and pop the new on in pop connector back in , check coolant level and you are good to go. If I could do it before i found this board and before i knew that was the problem well then I am sure you can do it. If you are worried about someone catching you change it in the middle of the night, stick a bucket under your car to catch the coolant.

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agoldslsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
SaturnManiac
Master Member

As much as I'd love to change my ECTS, my dad would probably kill me. He bought me the car, at least until I pay them back, so until then I have to hear their crap about not working on it. I wasn't trying to fuss anyone out, I even tried to get my dad to read the replies on the site, and when he did he just said everyone on the site was stupid and he knew more about cars. So my problem is my dad won't let me work on it. I don't need his help. I have friends and neighbors that could help me if I have a problem. He just thinks I'm totally inept or something. He probably won't even let me change the oil, that's how much he doesn't trust me. And then if I do mess with it, besides checking fluids, and it doesn't fix it, or even if it does, he'll swear I messed something up. But Saturn of W Broad was jerking me around.....they even said ITS NOT THE ECTS....almost yelling at me for even asking. It's been raining here recently so I can't even open the hood. I have to go to NC anyway, pretty much due for an oil change and other stuff......that's why I plan on buying a first gen SL2 because then my dad can't tell me what to do with it because it's mine and I bought it....and I want to modify it too. So I go to the stealership to get jerked around because my dad doesn't want to change the ECTS. And like I said, just because he's worked on other GMs, like GMC and Pontiac, or even other cars, he's never really owned a Saturn, or worked on a Saturn (except my old one, and that was mainly easy stuff like O2 sensor, spark plugs, etc.) Oh, and when we changed the O2 sensor, I asked to do it, and he was like I don't even know where the O2 sensor is and what it does, so to show him wrong, I stuck my finger right down there and pointed to it, and he appeared to be shocked that I actually knew. I'll just be so glad when he actually listens to me, or anyone for once. He thinks he knows it all.....I hate that.

And as for my car being named Sexy, I think my car looks good. And so what if I like my car better than any man out there, one thing I've found, MY SATURN NEVER LETS ME DOWN.....*cough* unlike men *cough*. I don't need to be co-dependent on a man, being independent is much better.

I think I created this thread so my dad would see it and I could throw it in his face, HAHA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #11
andy_95sl2
Master Member

LOL i just took a look at my bank book, and my parents never transfered the money out of my account. WOW, now i know why they dont like me working on it, they paid for it! I could have sworn they took the money out, but i guess they didnt. As soon as we get time, i'm telling them to transfer the money, or i'm disabling the car, so nobody can use it.

BTW, who cares if ignoring people is a "kick in the teeth"!? its the internet for god's sake! I dont take people seriously half the time on here anyway, until i hear the same thing from either multiple members, or a member at TSN. Besides, she stated that she doesnt have any tools to do it yourself, and i know from first hand experience that if you connect the connector the opposite way, you'll have problems. I took off my connector to see if i had a new or old ECTS and i connected it backwards.. and i got the SES light about 2 minutes later. Oh well..

Her dad is probably saying "dont do anything unless i'm there" because she's a girl. My dad does the same thing with my sister, but not with me; not anymore as a matter of fact. I think he is understanding the idea that i'm almost an adult, and i have taken Automotive Training in school for 2 years now, and i know how to do pretty much everything

Everybody just stop yelling at her, she can name her car what she wants, *mine's called "splatty"* she can work on it how she wants, she can even crash it if she wants. She's 20 years old, and her dad is just looking out for her, because by doing something as simple as an ECTS can have bad effects if not done right.

SaturnManiac: My advice is to just relax, and do as much research about the ECTS as possible, and present it to your dad in a nice, professional way. Also add that until 2001, Saturn used plastic-tipped sensors, which cracked over age. That should get him. Im not replacing mine until it fails. I think i should take up my dad's knowledge on the "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" idea. It seems to work out well, cuz i havent worked on my car in a LONG time, except for the manual fan switch, and nothing has happened yet. I'm due for an oil change sometime soon, too. My dad drove it 2.5k miles, and i drove it about 500 or 600 miles already. YAY 46k miles!!

EDIT: i havent seen this much drama for MONTHS now, but THANKS GUYS FOR MAKING ME RELIVE IT! >.<

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

What daddy doesn't know won't hurt daddy.

Change it behind his back or pay the car off already.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
andy_95sl2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
What daddy doesn't know won't hurt daddy.

Change it behind his back or pay the car off already.
i do that to my dad all the time, but i should probably fix something of his behind his back, like the step light in his pickup truck, then have him notice it MONTHS later.. LOL

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #14
SaturnManiac
Master Member

I've done stuff like that, fixed something (not on cars) and had my parents notice it much later, LOL, and wondered who fixed it.

My dad probably knows I know about cars, I don't know. Now as for crashing it, NO WAY, I love my baby, if he dies, I want to go with him My dad is just overly paranoid sometimes....and doesn't like taking other people's advice. Nah, I believed it could be the ECTS, but he's like NO....I even tried to explain the plastic and brass tip thing....and let alone that, I don't want to give a reason to b!!tch out my car...if he isn't b!!tching me out, he's b!!tching my car out, UGH!!!! But, yeah, I don't have any tools, and here is not a good place to work on your car, they don't allow it, and I have neighbors that would rat me out.

I think the name Splatty is kinda cute. Did you name it that for a good or bad reason? Actually, your car is cute

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Um, whose car is this?

If it's yours, REPLACE THE #&@*%+ ECTS.

If it's your dad's, it's his problem. Give him his problem back, get your own car, drive and maintain it any way you want. If he chooses not to listen to both reason and experience, it's his funeral.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 AM   #16
SaturnManiac
Master Member

It's my car, that he paid for......long story. Ok, so I've also screwed up a few things trying to fix things I had no idea what I was doing, I think he gets paranoid I'm going to do that with the car, but nah, I was like 14 when I did that crap....I fried the BIOS on a computer trying to update it.....had the wrong flash....oh well, the computer was free, I got it from a junk pile. I kinda knew how to do it, just someone gave me the wrong thing. But it's fine, I have to go to NC REGARDLESS of the car, I have stuff to do and get there....I used to live there, and also going to look at housing, might be moving back, not sure yet. I'm going Wednesday, YAY!!!! Besides I want to visit the brother I hate....I have to, I'm taking him to Maryland soon.....he doesn't have a license or a car....but most likely I will end up renting a car for that, just to save the wear and tear on mine....hopefully rent a Saturn ION so I can drive one for the first time......might end up buying a Saturn ION later.

Anyways, I'll let you guys know if the ECTS fixes it. God, I hope it does....then once again I'll have been right and he didn't listen, as usual.....but yet when he has a computer problem he can't fix, who does he always come to or call?--> ME!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #17
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

Hey if you are going anywhere near the Apex, NC area, send me a PM. I could change that sensor for you lickety-split, and I have a dealer and all the major parts stores within 5 minutes. I don't mind helping a fellow Saturnist!

And just a recommendation - don't get too focused on it being the ECTS. There is still a possibility that it is something else yet to be diagnosed. The ECTS is the most likely candidate, especially considering that it may not have been replaced before and it will need to be done sooner or later anyway.

You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #18
killogram
killogram is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I got a new ECTS for $8 from the dealer. All you need is one socket to do this replacement. 5 minutes tops. Just do it already!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to killogram's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help killogram reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
killogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #19
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Why do you even bother to post with a problem when you dont intend on fixing it, but instead turn the thread into an ongoing rant and complaining session.

We don't want to hear about you or your family, this ain't Dr. Phil.

Replace the sensor or shut up and go away......

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Not turning it into a complaint, just telling why I couldn't do it HERE. I will be fixing it tomorrow. Why does everyone wanna yell at me?! Sh!!t. I just mainly wanted to ask could ECTS cause a misfire.....I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that. But forget it, everytime I try to get help with a question, someone wants to b!!tch me out......since when did asking for help become a sin?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!