SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
ItalianPenguin
ItalianPenguin is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Issue with speed sensor...I think...

Hello everyone. I found this site about a week ago trying to find a solution to my problem, until i got it fixed...or so I thought.

My car is a 2002 SC2 with a manual transmission. The only modifications are lowering springs and a HKS exhaust system. Both came with the car when i bought it about two months ago.

Whenever it rains, or it is just generally damp outside(like late at night or in the morning in the summer) my speedometer will stick while accelerating. For example, my speedometer will be at 20mph and will jump to 25mph or 27mph while accelerating instead of going smoothly like it should. This has been happening since I got the car, it hasn't just started up.

I took it in to get looked at and it was thought to be the speed sensor. So I had the speed sensor replaced and it worked fine for about three days. It rained, and was damp out, but it worked perfectly. Well now the problem has started up again just as bad as before. Some things to note are that when the speed sensor was removed, the mechanic noted that it had metal shavings on it. The other thing is that it used to just happen between 20-40mph with both sensors, and now it's happening at all speeds.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2002 Saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ItalianPenguin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ItalianPenguin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ItalianPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Issue with speed sensor...I think...

Take a good look at the connector to the speed sensor. Look for corrosion and or frayed wires. Sounds like you are not getting a good connection especially when it is moist out. Clean it well removing any corrosion, reinstall connector then coat with dielectric grease to prevent moisture from entering connection.

Also suggest that you do a trans fluid change and look to see if you find anything unusual in the old fluid. No filter on the manual tranny.

How many miles on your SC2?

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
ItalianPenguin

2002 SC2

Only 21,000 miles on it. I bought it with 17,500 on it. Yeah I've been running it around a lot the past two months. I think the kid before me might of been racin around in it...partially because the front tires were almost bald(but still barely past inspection) and the back ones almost looked like new.

2002 Saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ItalianPenguin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
ItalianPenguin

2002 SC2

Also I contacted the nearest Saturn dealership and they said they have been having problems with the clusters on the cars. I doubt if it's the cluster though since it worked perfectly for three days, and the tach, fuel guage, and everything else works perfectly also.

2002 Saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
ItalianPenguin

2002 SC2

Checked the connector, put dielectric grease on it. Still the same problem but it is a bit better. Since it's not as bad as before im about ready to just give up, i dont have the time to put into it and i need the car all the time.

2002 Saturn SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!