SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
intili
intili is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1999 SL1
Default First time FWD Engine swap

I bought an engine for my SC2 on EBAY, supposed to be low mileage from a 2002 SL2 automatic. I hope to pull the engine trans together from top, install new pilot bearing in crank, and install new LUK clutch kit, my fuel rail and sensors, exhaust manifold and reinstall. I was considering also purchasing the LUK flywheel also. I have read different posts about which LUK kit applies, and would appreciate any feedback. All my previous experience has been non front wheel drive engine and trans work, so this transverse is new to me.
Any tips or feedback appreciated!!
Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intili's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intili reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intili is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default Re: First time FWD Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by intili View Post
I bought an engine for my SC2 on EBAY, supposed to be low mileage from a 2002 SL2 automatic. I hope to pull the engine trans together from top, install new pilot bearing in crank, and install new LUK clutch kit, my fuel rail and sensors, exhaust manifold and reinstall. I was considering also purchasing the LUK flywheel also. I have read different posts about which LUK kit applies, and would appreciate any feedback. All my previous experience has been non front wheel drive engine and trans work, so this transverse is new to me.
Any tips or feedback appreciated!!
Thanks!!

I believe that 2002 will also have the air injection, Did the ebay motor come with the PCM as well? All necessary harnessing. You can avoid the air injection by using a non injection PCM, I know a couple people who have tinkered with it and removed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
intili

2002 SC2
1999 SL1

I was hoping to transfer all related sensors and emissions equipment from my 2002 engine to the donor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help intili reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

As your profile states your SC2 is an '02 and you bought an '02 DOHC, there's nothing to swap from engine to engine other than the flexplate for a flywheel.

Wouldn't hurt to verify the fuel injector connectors are the same as the connector changed sometime between '01 and '02, pretty sure it's only an '02 change.

Worth noting that the flexplate bolts are not long enough to properly hold the flywheel in place, so keep track of the flywheel bolts

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
intili

2002 SC2
1999 SL1

Thanks, believe the donor may not have the intake, and definitely doesn't have the exhaust so I will put everything from my motor on it. My EGR valve has been throwing codes so I will clean it and reinstall. I also bought a new pilot bearing as there was a GM part listed on both rock auto and amazon as an input shaft bearing. Still need to order a clutch kit and was thinking of a new flywheel too, since mine has 143K on it, and the clutch was occasionally slipping dependent on load.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'm going to assume you've done RWD swaps, and your post indicates you know what you are doing - so this might be helpful (it's for swapping out a SOHC engine for a DOHC, so you are just doing part of this):

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...dohc_swap.html

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
intili

2002 SC2
1999 SL1

Thanks! This is a great write up, basically what I planned on doing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

There is no pilot bearing in the crank. The imput shaft bearing is for the transmission and requires a teardown for installation.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
intili

2002 SC2
1999 SL1

guess I wasted 16 bucks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Couple tips I've thought of:
  1. CarSaturn's Plastic Intake Manifold Fix. Much easier to do with the engine out, especially as you'll have to swap the IM over anyway. Video P1 P2 Buy: eBay
  2. Keep 2 of the intake manifold studs from the old engine (with nuts) and put them where the starter bolts are on the "new" engine. The stock location for the bolts is ridiculous and having studs to hang the starter on make starter replacement in the future super easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
intili

2002 SC2
1999 SL1

nice touch on the starter studs, I will look at that! I hope the intake is good, the modification maybe good insurance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!