SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Performance Top Mount

http://sixthsphere.com/showthread.ph...ount?p=1503871

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
madeinUSA
madeinUSA is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1998 SW2
Default Re: Performance Top Mount

That looks sick, Sick....been looking for a mount since my SDA insert came apart from age.
So how many are you making & how much??

'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madeinUSA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madeinUSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madeinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Looks simple enough he's probably making them upon request, appears its out of stock today.
http://sc2sick.com/?product_cat=performance-parts

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
alpine67
alpine67 has a spectacular aura aboutalpine67 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Curious about transmission of vibration to the car - how difficult would it be to use a rubber bushing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alpine67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alpine67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alpine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The power train has 2 rotational axis mounts and the line or axis of rotation must be straight or the mount is useless for damping. The axis runs through the top right mount and the lower left mount. That round bushing mount has the bushing bending the axis down sharply to horizontal. It will vibrate. This is not an issue for what it was originally designed for bit will do nothing for vibration other than amplify it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
alpine67
alpine67 has a spectacular aura aboutalpine67 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Thank you! That's what I suspected. Performance and race applications ok, everyday driver, not so.

It's interesting to see how GM handled many other FWD upper mounts - they seem to be perpendicular to the longitudinal alignment of the engine in the chassis. The lower mounts are also aligned in a similar fashion. Would that be a better arrangement in a Saturn? Seems it would handle torsional rotation forces better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alpine67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alpine67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alpine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you have ever noticed the top and trans mounts provide for limited free motion around the torque axis I described. Torque reaction it handled by the torque axis struts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
madeinUSA

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Thanks Fetchit, nice to know about the website.
Anyone purchased parts before from Sick or is this a first offering?

'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madeinUSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinUSA View Post
Thanks Fetchit, nice to know about the website.
Anyone purchased parts before from Sick or is this a first offering?
Pretty sure he's sold a bunch of window stickers and stuff for sixthsphere. No personal experience, but I've never heard anything bad about him.

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Looks simple enough he's probably making them upon request, appears its out of stock today.
http://sc2sick.com/?product_cat=performance-parts
They're just marked as out of stock as I sent one out to someone to get some feedback before I start producing them on demand. The vibration is comparable to the SDA mount.

Probably in a week I'll start keeping a false inventory of 5 or so at a time and just say that I'll have about a week order to shipment time as they take some time to make and I'm not always free... a week though.. not months or some buy in where everyone is waiting on some last schmuck to send in their payment before it moves forward..

Those asking who I was I don't hang out on this forum as often but I'm admin on 6S if that counts for anything

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I have this friend that has an addiction to spending money he doesn't have on his Saturn. How much does one of these run so I can tell him. If you made other parts, he could probably make you rich.

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
I have this friend that has an addiction to spending money he doesn't have on his Saturn. How much does one of these run so I can tell him. If you made other parts, he could probably make you rich.

$150 for the TAM

Tell him to buy a Windshield sticker for $40

There may still be a coupon code to use for $5 off :

Coupon Code - firesale

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Yeah, $150 is what I'm looking at.. if I have some time this weekend I'm going to make one of the transmission mounts that I modeled up.. I've just been super swamped with work lately.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
madeinUSA

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
Yeah, $150 is what I'm looking at.. if I have some time this weekend I'm going to make one of the transmission mounts that I modeled up.. I've just been super swamped with work lately.
I am a candidate for the transmission mount also.
Glad to hear you are making (and testing) some real performance parts that are not of the +60hp & +25mpg chip style.

Thinking of any other parts that you might develop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #15
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Thinking of any other parts that you might develop?
I started working on a rear strut tower bar but got too tied up in getting the TAM done.. I do this as a side thing so I wanted to get the manufacturing down to a simplified process so that when I do these one at a time orders I can sit down and knock something out in a couple hours...

I'm also going to make a raise TAM and trans mount as well as general spacers at some point but I don't want to fail to deliver on something as a result of spreading myself too thin.. so the TAM is what I'm working on for the moment and I might do a trans one this weekend..

I have to replace my own transmission soon anyways so easy time to install one.

I've had the designs and ideas for a while, I just didn't have a garage until the last 6 months or so..

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
madeinUSA

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
I'm also going to make a raise TAM and trans mount
Can you elaborate on the raise mounts & what that does/improves?

Also, what holds the two pieces of the TAM together....stud?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the raise mounts & what that does/improves?

Also, what holds the two pieces of the TAM together....stud?
Raised mounts is for people who have lowered their car to such an extreme degree that they are destroying axles by putting them at such an angle.. the raised mounts would lift the drivetrain up so that the axles aren't at such a harsh angle.

Holding the two pieces together is a flange type bushing with a steel center sleeve.. the bolt hardware is either 8.8 or 10.9.. I can't recall but both are sufficient for the task.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #18
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

My friend with the Saturn addiction said pretty please make a rear strut tower mount bar. Apparently he wanted an AMR bar but they don't make them anymore

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
My friend with the Saturn addiction said pretty please make a rear strut tower mount bar. Apparently he wanted an AMR bar but they don't make them anymore
It's in the works. I made one but I'd rather focus on the top mount first so that I can get some of my investment back.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Just an FYI I'm going to stop producing these the end of June and probably exit the market as a whole. Of all the people claiming they'd order one when they came out only 1 has so there's no sense in me investing any more money developing parts for the platform.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!