SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Nicoletti Jd
Nicoletti Jd is on a distinguished road

Attention 01 SL1 taat transmission wiring issue ????

Hey guys hope this works I have spent many hours reading in this awesome site and have read many threads all closely related to my issue but I have a limited budget so I hope I can figure out exactly what is going on....so what is going on is I bought a 2001 Saturn sl1 from a guy for cheap cause the tranny was slipping really bad. When I drove it home I had to limp it cause the tranny was slipping super bad it would take about a mile to get it to 55mph the rpm would go way up and not much acceleration would come of it. When I got it home I went right for the valve body one the transmission and the first thing I noticed was someone was in there before and when they screwed the wire plug down they pinched a wire causing it to go bare so I taped it up after I ohmed the solenoids since I was there anyway All checked out at like 5.8 ohms. I noticed the wire plug was burnt a little bit on A and B posts so I cleaned them a bit and I think it was post K that had been pinched by the bolt. There was a lot of atf on the plug so I blew it out with contact cleaner and put it back together jumped in the car and it was like the tranny was all back to normal again it had response and it would shift like it's supposed to but it did slip a little at top end so I drove it home and the next day I went to drive it the car acted like it was stuck in 4th gear I checked the fuses and found that fuse 3/4 was burnt so I took the solenoids out of the valve body to test them better and when I pulled the first cover up I noticed a lot of water condinsation on it mixed with ATF I tested the solenoids with ohm meter and all were good so I put it back together and I have tested all the wires coming from pcm and fuse box all seemed ok ( I got all my info grime this site) I even tested the solenoids with 12 volts and a 10 amp inline fuse and all tested ok so I put it back together and it is the same now as it was where it seems to be locked up it 4th but it is not blowing the fuse anymore . I also borrowed a generic scan tool and the first time I got many codes all saying that the gear ratios were incorrect and shifting between gears malfunction I have the code numbers if anyone responds and needs them it also had one saying tcc ckt performance or stuck off ,and a battery code... All the codes were cleared and now it only has half of them . I am really thinking it's just that plug going into the tranny but wanna know if it would cause all of thes problems even being tested out ok ...help I wanna fix this but wanna make sure if I buy parts that I get them right the first try but I know it's not always that way please anyone ever had this or know what is going on there is more that I have done but I don't wanna make a book of this as my first thread
Nicoletti Jd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 01 SL1 taat transmission wiring issue ????

Is English a second-language for you? Perhaps you can get a friend or co-worker to help you put some punctuation and such in that post. It is too tough for me to try reading that way, without any sentence structure. I'm eager to help, but don't want to give bad advice simply because I can't understand what is being posted.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP's post run through MS Word
Hey guys hope this works I have spent many hours reading in this awesome site and have read many threads all closely related to my issue but I have a limited budget so I hope I can figure out exactly what is going on...

So what is going on is I bought a 2001 Saturn sl1 from a guy for cheap cause the tranny was slipping really bad. When I drove it home I had to limp it because the tranny was slipping super bad it would take about a mile to get it to 55mph the rpm would go way up and not much acceleration would come of it.

When I got it home I went right for the valve body one the transmission and the first thing I noticed was someone was in there before and when they screwed the wire plug down they pinched a wire causing it to go bare so I taped it up after I ohm’d the solenoids since I was there anyway.

All checked out at like 5.8 ohms. I noticed the wire plug was burnt a little bit on A and B posts so I cleaned them a bit and I think it was post K that had been pinched by the bolt. There was a lot of ATF on the plug so I blew it out with contact cleaner and put it back together jumped in the car and it was like the tranny was all back to normal again. It had response and it would shift like it's supposed to but it did slip a little at top end so I drove it home and the next day I went to drive it the car acted like it was stuck in 4th gear I checked the fuses and found that fuse 3/4 was burnt so I took the solenoids out of the valve body to test them better and when I pulled the first cover up I noticed a lot of water condensation on it mixed with ATF I tested the solenoids with ohm meter and all were good so I put it back together and I have tested all the wires coming from PCM and fuse box all seemed ok ( I got all my info grime this site)

I even tested the solenoids with 12 volts and a 10 amp inline fuse and all tested ok so I put it back together and it is the same now as it was where it seems to be locked up in 4th but it is not blowing the fuse anymore. I also borrowed a generic scan tool and the first time I got many codes all saying that the gear ratios were incorrect and shifting between gears malfunction I have the code numbers if anyone responds and needs them it also had one saying TCC circuit performance or stuck off, and a battery code... All the codes were cleared and now it only has half of them.

I am really thinking it's just that plug going into the tranny but want to know if it would cause all of these problems even being tested out ok ...help I want to fix this but want to make sure if I buy parts that I get them right the first try but I know it's not always that way please anyone ever had this or know what is going on there is more that I have done but I don't want to make a book of this as my first thread
Put a 5spd in it. Solves every single automatic related problem, guaranteed, on the first try.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Give us the codes you still have, see how much voltage your Alternator is putting out and make sure your ATF level is correct . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...9&d=1372471450
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

I have now read the original post twice. While shorter sentences would aid comprehension, I think I have the gist.

Pins AB are for the 3rd gear solenoid. If the electrical connection across those pins is unreliable, as is implied by the burnt pins and the blown fuse, then it seems reasonable that the car wouldn't be able to downshift out of 4th gear, though I am a little puzzled as to how it would still be able to row up to 4th gear in the first place.

I have never heard of a connector with burnt pinholes being repaired otherwise than by replacement of the entire connector, with all ten connections being soldered and insulated with heat-shrink tubing. However, I wonder why there is so much ATF in the connector at the top of the transmission. Is the transmission overfilled? I would check this before I soldered in a new connector, since ATF acts as an insulator.
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Another curious thing is that if Pins A & B had a bad connection, I wouldn't think that would cause that Fuse to blow. And if the Pin K wire was shorted to ground, I think that would just keep the TCC on. We have seen some bad gaskets on top of the Bus Plate that will let ATF into the Connector.

Some tips on Connector replacement . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=99
Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Nicoletti Jd

Hey guys sorry for my long sentences. I was tired and wanted to get my question out there before I fell asleep. I have noticed after I clear the codes that only some codes came back up. Here are the codes I got the first time I scanned it. These are generic codes...

V1301 / class 2 short to battery

P0783 / 3-4 shift malfunction

P0782 / 2-3 shift malfunction

P0741 / torque converter ckt performance or stuck off

P0734 / gear 4 ratio incorrect

P0733 / gear 3 ratio incorrect

P0732 / gear 2 ratio incorrect
Old 04-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoletti Jd View Post
Here are the codes I got the first time I scanned it.
So which of these came back?
Old 04-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Nicoletti Jd

I have checked the tranny fluid level and its good, I am getting 14 volts at the battery when car is running. I also had to replace the tps because it would idle at 2 to 3k rpm. The car idles fine now.

There was a thread I had read where when the guy put the car into neutral the car would move forward a little bit, well mine is doing the same thing I don't know if that info is useful at all.

Another thing is I don't get any difference in the gears when I move the shifter from drive to 3rd or 2nd it's all the same like it's in 4th Gear the whole way thru the gears
Old 04-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Nicoletti Jd

I believe 782 and 783 I am gonna go clear the codes and take it for a ride and I'll let u know what codes I get. Would it be possible if the wire plug is bad that it would throw different codes each time I move the connector? I haven't tried moving it and scanning it yet but I will today
Old 04-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
There was a thread I had read where when the guy put the car into neutral the car would move forward a little bit, well mine is doing the same thing I don't know if that info is useful at all.
Do you know if the End Cover has ever been off that tranny? I remember this happening to someone who distorted the 1st Clutch Pack while replacing the Input Shaft Nut.

Btw - good resistance readings don't guarantee a Solenoid is perfectly fine. When you had them out, did you put each one back in the same position where it came from?

I think I would try changing that Connector since you said it was a little scorched.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Nicoletti Jd

Ok thanks for the input when I pulled the solenoids out i did them one at a time so I wouldn't mess up the order. I don't know if the side has been tempered with. I have seen a lot of posts talking about the shaft nut being loose and causing fluid to pass where it's not supposed to. should I maybe take a look into that. do I need to drain the fluid out first?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Ok thanks for the input when I pulled the solenoids out i did them one at a time so I wouldn't mess up the order. I don't know if the side has been tempered with. I have seen a lot of posts talking about the shaft nut being loose and causing fluid to pass where it's not supposed to. should I maybe take a look into that. do I need to drain the fluid out first?
I was hoping you DID mess up the order. That might tell you if you had a Solenoid that was mechanically bad. But if your Connector is suspect, that 3rd Gear Solenoid is supposed to be energized for 1st Gear. Don't go into the End Cover if you don't have any issues with Reverse.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Nicoletti Jd

Yeah so I am going to get a new wire plug and go from there. Does anyone know where I could get one? I got four of the same codes I had before which are

I feel like the wires are what's causing my problem and thanks for the input on the side of the tranny, I was hoping to hold off on that job
Old 04-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
Nicoletti Jd

Oh and I forgot to mention the 3/4 fuse blew again
Old 04-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Oh and I forgot to mention the 3/4 fuse blew again
Yup - you definitely have a wiring problem. If the Solenoid resistance is good, you probably want to look for a short to ground, between Pin A or C and the Fuse. You definitely want to get this fixed before doing anything else.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
Nicoletti Jd

Hey chazberry I was wondering what solenoids need to be energized for each to work. I am thinking of moving the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids to a different spot to see if I get a new symptom. Can I maybe swap 3rd gear solenoid with tcc solenoid to see if I can get gears 1 thru 3?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Hey chazberry I was wondering what solenoids need to be energized for each to work. I am thinking of moving the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids to a different spot to see if I get a new symptom. Can I maybe swap 3rd gear solenoid with tcc solenoid to see if I can get gears 1 thru 3?
Here's the chart . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...5&d=1327325301
They are normally open valves, so when they are de-energized they are sending pressure to the respective clutch. You can definitely try swapping some around.
Have you found out what was blowing that fuse?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #19
Nicoletti Jd

No I haven't replaced the wire plug yet I been trying to find one. I opened up the wiring harness and found nothing wrong with all ten wires. Thanks for the diagram I'm gonna try that next and I'll let u know what I find
Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #20
Nicoletti Jd

Ok so I haven't replaced the pure plug yet but, I pulled the solenoids out one by one and found that they all worked but !!!!! Gear 3 solenoid still opened when I applied power to it. but it started smoking, and burnt the 10 amp inline fuse that I had in the wire I was using to test it. so I will be ordering one of them. My question is I had swapped Gear 3 solenoid for the tcc solenoid and when I test drove the car it changed nothing with the shifting problem. It did how ever blow the tcc fuse which I figured it would. Now I thought if I switched gear 3 with Tcc it would have shifted till the torque converter kicked on. The fuse didn't blow until the torque converter tried to lock in. So now where should I look? should I wait to get my new solenoid and see if that changes anything ?