SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
SL2nitsua
SL2nitsua has a spectacular aura aboutSL2nitsua has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2
Default best headers?

which headers would be better to throw on? OBX or pacesetters? only brands ive seen so far. are there more? which would give the biggest gain? this is for an SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2nitsua's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2nitsua reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2nitsua is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2
Default Re: best headers?

Stock 92 Headers are the cheapest bang for the $$$ for your 98 engine

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
SL2nitsua

1998 SL2

im not too worried about cost but would any other brand throw out any gains the stock header would not? other than sound that is

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2nitsua reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

I've never had one... someone might chime in but Have a Read on what was said a couple years ago

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
SL2nitsua

1998 SL2

well thanks for the info! i appreciate what you were able to tell me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Just an FYI, on my 98 SC2 I bought a set of brand new OBX stainless headers and they would not fit correctly! I ended up sending them back and had to eat $65 in the shipping charges ($30 to me, $35 to ship them back) for my troubles.
Others on here have them so fitment might just be a hit-n-miss issue.

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The OBX is all that is out there as new now and possibly a Chinese copy as well. There is a Chinese copy of the Thermal R&D cat back exhaust system. eBay is where I would start looking. Then http://www.obxracingsports.com/index.php and http://thermalrd.com/category-single?pid=66

OBX fit can be an issue. Do not pitch the lower engine-transmission support bracket to get it installed either.

If you buy from eBay get an email from seller that it will fit your car. With that you will win a buyer protection dispute.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I've got the OEM '91-'92 down-pipe hanger...hanging around. Kept it figuring someone would need it, the down-pipe is easy to get/find but the hanger is darn near impossible. Looks simple enough to make, though not as simple as the '93-'98 down-pipe hanger.

The OEM header performs the same as OBX, bolts in with no issue and you don't have to worry about the welds breaking like OBX. Technically it's a stock part so events like SCCA "stock class" should be fine with it

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

All you have to do is find a OEM 91-92 in good condition. Plan on spending some time inside of it cleaning up the machine welds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #10
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Hey Rich would I still need to get a spacer for my exhaust if I had an Oem 91 header? Or would the bracket fit?

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you find a 91-92 header it all fits. You will have to find the 91-92 headpipe as well as any aftermarket will promptly rot away. Try your local pick and pull yards. If you are pulling it be sure to get the bracket that supports the 4 bolt flange in front of the cat, and the bracket that bolts to the block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you find a 91-92 header it all fits. You will have to find the 91-92 headpipe as well as any aftermarket will promptly rot away. Try your local pick and pull yards. If you are pulling it be sure to get the bracket that supports the 4 bolt flange in front of the cat, and the bracket that bolts to the block.

You're not really going to see "Big gains"

If you use a header 4-2-1 Design, whatever it may be, cat delete, high flow exhuast, cold air intake, bored throttle body, and 93 octane gas, you may see a 7hp gain

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:57 AM   #13
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I have a thermal r&d exhaust and box header, but shop that installed it threw away stiffener bracket that goes between engine and transmission. Old uv was gracious enough to send it to me along with bolts that are stuck in like a mothertrucker, but I would still need a spacer to gain enough clearance etc. a project very far down the road. Soon I will be putting like 2k miles on my car per year and it will not matter much. This is slowly becoming my "project car" for when I get rich enough to restore it completely

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:04 AM   #14
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2nitsua View Post
im not too worried about cost but would any other brand throw out any gains the stock header would not? other than sound that is
in that case, it's best to go to a metal fabricator and have a header custom made to your exact specifications based on your application and driving needs. you're probably looking in the neighborhood of $1500 or so for that kinda work. take pics...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote