SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Still Not Running

I am really annoyed at this whole ordeal with my car.. I can't necesserly blame the mechanic, but I dunno...

It still won't start, zero spark.. I know it gets fuel and hes tried a number of things, i have tried a few things and so has another mechanic including the throttle body and such....

Could the Body Control Module cause a no spark issue? Has new coils and everything.. I am soon going to go fiddle with it my self again

Ilove the car, but im done.. I don't have time/patientce now to deal with it and no one in the PNW is equipped to handle a 3.0 VUE... If i felt i could trust it I would keep it, but the problem has frustrated my mechanic, me and now a second mechanic...

You guys have been helpful and please keep throwing ideas out... I need it RUNNING...

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travlincub321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Still Not Running

While my comments may sometimes seem flippant or condescending, its not. All EFI systems are relatively the same; fuel is injected in synch with ignition/spark timing as the engine rotates to open and close intake/exhaust valves to suck fuel and air into each cylinder for burning to make power. The electronics in EFI systems are just another refined version of older technology using distributors and carburetors. What you may be witnessing, without knowing it, is the fact that there are many mechanics that are not skilled in EFI systems as technology evolved in the transition from old school carburetors/distributors to totally electronic fuel injection using small computers. There are many repairs shops that don't spend any money on training to keep mechanics informed to learn a whole new field - electronics. Electronics separates the old school car mechanics from everyone else that grasped electronics and how its used in EFI systems. Some mechanics can learn as they work and remember a 'before and after' scenario but if they're not familiar with electronics and engine computers, the heart and soul of EFI systems, they're lost.

I can say the same generalized troubleshooting is still used whether its old technology or new; either a fuel or spark issue is the problem. The smart person that knows EFI systems can separate one from the other and troubleshoot from there. Half the problem is eliminated just from this point. Understanding how to separate a fuel issue from a spark issue may be what's troubling most mechanics that aren't fully trained/familiar with electronics that runs the fuel and ignition system.

Add factory theft deterrent systems like Passlock or PassKey-3 and it gets complicated. Electronics and how sensors works as well as how engine computers operate are the main concepts that are difficult for many to weave together into our EFI systems.

The bcm has the Passlock theft deterrent system to disable the vehicle from running - when enabled and active, Passlock (from the bcm) sends a digital signal to the ecm/pcm to disable injectors. No injector pulses, no engine running. That's all Passlock does with the bcm. The bcm doesn't interfere with the ecm/pcm but does watch the vehicle if a theft is in progress and tells the ecm/pcm not to allow the engine to run. Passlock indicates this by the security indicator and which way it flashes. No security indicator ON during starting, no Passlock to prevent engine running.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 07-11-2013 at 03:33 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlincub321 View Post
I am really annoyed at this whole ordeal with my car.. I can't necesserly blame the mechanic, but I dunno...

It still won't start, zero spark.. I know it gets fuel and hes tried a number of things, i have tried a few things and so has another mechanic including the throttle body and such....

Could the Body Control Module cause a no spark issue? Has new coils and everything.. I am soon going to go fiddle with it my self again

Ilove the car, but im done.. I don't have time/patientce now to deal with it and no one in the PNW is equipped to handle a 3.0 VUE... If i felt i could trust it I would keep it, but the problem has frustrated my mechanic, me and now a second mechanic...

You guys have been helpful and please keep throwing ideas out... I need it RUNNING...

Thanks
I've attached two service manual extracts - one is table with a few Crank But Does Not Start candidates and the other is description for main relay - I included primarily to give you idea of fuses to check.

Please let me know if you need any of the files mentioned in either document. Either by sending PM (comes to my cell) or posting on forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.0 Cranks But Does Not Start.pdf (21.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 3.0 Main Relay.pdf (116.7 KB, 4 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks Far2Grumpy! Another idea to check

The biggest concern to my mechanic was the metal fragments on the CPS, but from what I have read, this is common on cars with about 200K

I don't think that is a reason to be concerned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travlincub321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlincub321 View Post
Thanks Far2Grumpy! Another idea to check

The biggest concern to my mechanic was the metal fragments on the CPS, but from what I have read, this is common on cars with about 200K

I don't think that is a reason to be concerned
The CPS is a magnet. Having it attract metal bits isn't a concern.

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote