SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Qwkjimmy
Qwkjimmy is on a distinguished road

Default L300 issues... please help

Ok first of all i am new to the forum I would like hello to all...

I just purchased a 2001 L300 with 143k on it..

Here are my issues
-Once You drive the car around for a while (45 min) or so... and park it. It wont start back up immediatly. It has to sit for a while. Then it will start.

- Second issue is the dash lights. Sometimes when I turn the lights off the cluster lights wont go off... tach speedo etc. .. If I unplug the battery and plug it back up they will work properly.

Suggestions please....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qwkjimmy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qwkjimmy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qwkjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: L300 issues... please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkjimmy View Post
a 2001 L300 with 143k on it..

Here are my issues
-Once You drive the car around for a while (45 min) or so... and park it. It wont start back up immediatly. It has to sit for a while. Then it will start.

- Second issue is the dash lights. Sometimes when I turn the lights off the cluster lights wont go off... tach speedo etc. .. If I unplug the battery and plug it back up they will work properly.
Welcome to the Forum! I've found it a very useful place and believe you will also.

I can't speak to the starting issue, but it might help others who'd consider responding if you add some more detail. When the engine won't start up immediately after the drive, does the engine crank normally or does it crank more slowly? How long do you wait before the engine will start again? Additionally, what do you know of the car's service record, i.e., when were spark plugs last replaced, has the ignition module or coil packs ever been replaced, has the fuel filter been replaced, etc....?

As for the dash lights, this is an odd problem. It seems like an issue with the switch to me. Perhaps an internal contact is remaining in an "on" position relative to the dash lights while other contacts are fully off.......just a guess. It might help to specifically confirm whether or not any parking lights remain on at the same time as the dash lights......wish I could be of more help.

324,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

The starting problem sounds like vapor lock caused by the fuel pump not holding residual pressure after being switched off. Fuel drains back to the tank, heat causes the line to be filled with vapor, and the lock occurs. After the vapor condenses, the car will start. Root cause would most likely be a cracked fuel pump, but it is costly to assume anything. Get a Haynes manual and a fuel pressure gauge and you can test.

I agree with Pierrot to look for other things that might be staying on with the dash lights. Could be connected with the ignition switch circuit. Worst case is a failing body control module. If you search the L tech forum you will learn more about its idiosyncrasies.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

The no start after shutting off could also be a failing crankshaft position sensor caused by a hot soak. As for the light issue, that could be a sign of a bcm concern. Both of these could be related to the bcm too. If you have access to a scan tool that reads live data, watch the engine rpm while you are cranking(during the no start). If you have rpm, most likely crank sensor is ok, if not it's toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote