SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #1
jasons56
jasons56 is on a distinguished road

Default Help me find reverse/valve body fix!

My 94SW2 has the well known problem with the long delay when shifting into reverse. Now it has developed a ratcheting sound that occurs sometimes when you put it in park. It sounds like some kind of pawl skipping across some gear teeth. It usually eventually engages.

I heard that Wolfman posted a fix for the reverse problem, but I just can't seem to find the post.

So what is the trick?
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasons56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasons56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #2
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Welcome to the board.
Don't quote me, but I believe you put blocks behind the wheels and leave the car in reverse for about 20 minutes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

It can *help* but will not cure the problem totally.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Guess I better repost it...DO NOT make up your "OWN VERSION" follow the instructions exactly.

The "works nearly everytime" cure for the reverse "slam"

1. Change the transaxle fluid and filter (use "conventional" not synthetic fluid)
2. Add your choice of automatic transmission fluid additive (transmedic, Lucas etc...personal choice, Prolong auto transmission additive)
3. Start the car firmly set the parking brake, chock the wheels and or back it up against a firm immovable object (A brick wall works well)
4. Put the car in REVERSE and LEAVE IT THERE, RUNNING, IN REVERSE, for about 20-30 mins at idle.

What this does is use the clean transaxle fluid and additive to flush out the reverse passage in the valve body by simulating driving in reverse for about 10 miles. IT WILL NOT HARM THE TRANSAXLE OR ENGINE IN ANY WAY. After completing this proceedure, (99 times out of 100) your reverse slam will vanish for at least several months and maybe forever (actually usually forever is a better description) Maintain the transaxle correctly from that point forward. If it initially does not work for long, you can REPEAT the proceedure without changing the clean fluid and sometimes net good results BUT if after 2 tries thing have not improved you are probably looking at valve body replacement. YOU MUST CHANGE THE FLUID FIRST! Doing this with "dirty" fluid still in the transaxle may actually make it WORSE. Also "normal" transmissiopn "flushes" WILL NOT cure this problem, as they don't feed enough "warm" clean fluid through the valve body for long enough.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread