SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
CrazyAmazing
CrazyAmazing is on a distinguished road

Question 2007 Saturn Aura XE Satellite Radio Install Question

There are a number of threads regarding installing satellite radio in Aura's but I haven't been able to find the information I need specifically. I have an Aura and have (so far) searched endlessly for the ability to put factory satellite radio in my Aura. I think I've found all of the parts that I need but I have no experience installing electronics in cars. From what I've found it seems easy to look up, the main problem being the rarity of the Saturn Aura.

Here's what I have so far:
I found the factory satellite radio module online as well as the sharkfin antenna and base on the GMPartsDirect.com website.

The Antenna is #10374577 and the Base is #25869496. This seems to be everything I need (aside from any wires to connect them, but those seem universal.

I've found diagrams for dashboard removal and a few pictures of some connectors but I would hate to spend around 200 dollars for a bunch of parts that don't work.

Would those things be all that I need? Or would I potentially need more or to do something else? I have the satellite radio ready head unit (with the CAT button that give me the "XM Feature" message).

What I would really love are pictures of how the satellite radio came factory installed in a Saturn Aura (especially where the wires are run) as well as contrast pictures of the two different antenna.

Any help is appreciated. I also promise to cover the process 1000% including pictures and instructions as soon as I get a bit more information on the whole process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyAmazing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyAmazing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
servodave
servodave is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Aura XE Satellite Radio Install Question

On a 2009 xr with onstar/xm, the wires come into the space above the front dome lights. I read somewhere once that they all do. You can easily pry the middle part of the overhead console off with a thin flat bladed screwdriver and see the underside of it. There are a few clips that hold it on all around.

There are two wires that head toward the front passenger pillar above the headliner. Looks like they are coax of some sort I but can't tell for sure. A single bolt holds the whole assembly to the roof. There is a location pin toward the back of the base to keep it from rotating. The wires feed through the center of the main bolt, which is hollow.

I would love to know where these wires terminate. Not sure if they go all the way to the radio or there is some connector in the pillar. I've not had that pillar cover off the car in a long time and was not looking at those wires the last time I did.

A week ago, I ordered what I thought was the whole antenna off ebay for an antenna modding project I am working on but it seems to not include the base, just the little antenna part. Does anyone know if there is anything inside the base (perhaps a gps antenna coil?) or is it hollow?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to servodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help servodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
servodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAmazing View Post
There are a number of threads regarding installing satellite radio in Aura's but I haven't been able to find the information I need specifically. I have an Aura and have (so far) searched endlessly for the ability to put factory satellite radio in my Aura. I think I've found all of the parts that I need but I have no experience installing electronics in cars. From what I've found it seems easy to look up, the main problem being the rarity of the Saturn Aura.

Here's what I have so far:
I found the factory satellite radio module online as well as the sharkfin antenna and base on the GMPartsDirect.com website.

The Antenna is #10374577 and the Base is #25869496. This seems to be everything I need (aside from any wires to connect them, but those seem universal.

I've found diagrams for dashboard removal and a few pictures of some connectors but I would hate to spend around 200 dollars for a bunch of parts that don't work.

Would those things be all that I need? Or would I potentially need more or to do something else? I have the satellite radio ready head unit (with the CAT button that give me the "XM Feature" message).

What I would really love are pictures of how the satellite radio came factory installed in a Saturn Aura (especially where the wires are run) as well as contrast pictures of the two different antenna.

Any help is appreciated. I also promise to cover the process 1000% including pictures and instructions as soon as I get a bit more information on the whole process.
There's a guy in this 2010 thread that has actually done what you are attempting. I would try shooting him a PM. Maybe the harness is already in place & you just need the new antenna & XM module. You'll need the dealer to update the BCM with the new XM unit's ID.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=radio

Last edited by greenman; 05-04-2011 at 09:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1304559776

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the rear widow shelf trim panel. Refer to Rear Window Shelf Trim Panel Replacement .
Program the digital radio receiver after replacement. Refer to Control Module References .

Digital Radio Receiver Assembly Bolt (Qty: 2)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tighten
3 Nm (26 lb in)

Digital Radio Receiver Assembly

Tip
Do not interchange digital radio receivers between vehicles. Interchanging digital receivers between vehicles will activate the digital radio Theftlock, XM Theftlock will be displayed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XM.jpg (99.0 KB, 47 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
greenman

2009 AURA XE

As for changing out the sharkfin, you can reach the fasteners through the map lamp hole. It's tough to do this kind of work without a service manual. Suggest that you get one. They will pay for themselves on first use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Also, IIRC the dealer had a complete XM kit-in-a-box with everything you needed to add it for the 07MY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

The xm receiver itself if I am not mistaken is on the rear deck where the speakers are. The antenna wire gets back there somehow. I would assume once you get the tuner installed and wires run there would still be some programming involved of the radio to enable the xm function. I guess you could look if the harness is there for the receiver. I don't know how to get the back part off otherwise I could check. Mine came with factory xm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
gregh2000

2007 AURA XR

Oh and if you look for my bluetooth install thread there are pics of how to take the dash apart and you can see some wires with a purple connector in the side thing. The part where you can pop the panel off in the passenger door jam. I think those might be for onstar though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
CrazyAmazing

So far you guys have helped immensely but I do have a few more questions. I'm not really confident on all of the exact meanings of some of the words used.

Quote:
Maybe the harness is already in place & you just need the new antenna & XM module.
I'm kind of new at this, so that is all I thought I would need, a new antenna and a new module. What exactly do you mean by harness? Was that what the second post with the picture was about?

Quote:
XM kit-in-a-box with everything you needed to add
Also, do you know any more about this? Where exactly I might find something like this? While I would like for it to be stock, as long as it connects to my current head unit, I'm cool with it. I've searched and searched but having only a very basic understanding of how it all works, nothing seems to be completely compatible with my car.

Quote:
Do not interchange digital radio receivers between vehicles. Interchanging digital receivers between vehicles will activate the digital radio Theftlock, XM Theftlock will be displayed.
I also saw this note...does this mean buying a used module off of eBay is going to destroy all future plans of having XM? Does this mean I should figure something else out?

Also, thank you very much ServoDave for explaining where the wires are run (I wasn't so sure about this part) as well as Gregh2000 for the great pictures of the dash breakdown.

I also sent a PM to kcarter2515, the other person that seems to have managed doing this, to collect as much information as possible.

Thank you all so much for you time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyAmazing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
CrazyAmazing

Okay, so VWCarCrazy showed me this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XM-GM...e33d#vi-ilComp

which seems to be easier than trying to get a new antenna and trying to install a used modulator that a dealer might not feel like programming for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular unit (The XM-GM4)? Will I still need a dealer to program it to my car (and potentially end up paying them all kinds of money)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:

I'm kind of new at this, so that is all I thought I would need, a new antenna and a new module. What exactly do you mean by harness? Was that what the second post with the picture was about?
Wiring harness. All the necessary wires. Sometimes optional extras are prewired into the standard harness & sometimes there is an an add-on harness needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:

I also saw this note...does this mean buying a used module off of eBay is going to destroy all future plans of having XM?
No. It just means a dealer has to connect his tech 2 to your car & tell the car's computer the code number of the replaced device. Dealer will charge something for his time. You'd have to ask them how much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Okay, so VWCarCrazy showed me this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XM-GM...e33d#vi-ilComp

which seems to be easier than trying to get a new antenna and trying to install a used modulator that a dealer might not feel like programming for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular unit (The XM-GM4)? Will I still need a dealer to program it to my car (and potentially end up paying them all kinds of money)?
This will give you a separate small antenna that sticks to the body magnetically. You could paint it to match but there is a small wire that requires a hole in the body large enough to squeeze the connector thru.

I suspect you will need to pay a dealer a programming fee. Call one & ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
CrazyAmazing

It's looking more and more like this is the route to go. When I go in for my next service I'll ask lots of questions and find out which way will be easier/cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
gregh2000

2007 AURA XR

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...84%A2/KOS-A300

I saw this the other day, they are on sale at crutchfield. It is an aux input adapter that plugs into the factory aux jack. Then you can plug in your ipod, usb stuff, or sat/hd radio. Looked kinda cool, it has the screen readout on it too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pMJ3bQl...de-System.html

Then you get different stuff to plug into it. They have bluetooth kits that hook in too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
kcarter2515
kcarter2515 is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody! Many of you know that I have successfully completed a "factory-like" install in my 2007 Saturn Aura. I went back out to my Aura and pulled the dash apart to take pictures and write up a tutorial. In this PDF tutorial, I also included a list of parts that you'll need and links to where you can purchase them! Just PM me and give me your email address, and I'll be happy to e-mail it to you! I don't know how to write up a tutorial with pictures on here!

Also, to answer some quick questions and comments from above, the $230.00 XM kit from eBay through Integration Solutions does in fact work - that's what I used! There is NO ADDITIONAL DEALER PROGRAMMING REQUIRED! Nothing will lock up on you.

A wiring harness is simply a form of cable connector in which things are spliced into. The XM module is a tuner that receives the data from the antenna.

As far as the part numbers for the two-part shark-fin antenna are concerned, those are the same part numbers that I have from my invoice when I purchased them from my local Saturn dealership.

As to where an XM module would be on an Aura that COMES with XM from the factory, it's underneath the carpet-like material between the back two speakers above the trunk. Don't bother installing your aftermarket module there, it would take too much wire, not to mention how hard it is to get to the module!

You guys are very close! Hopefully my tutorial will help!

Last edited by kcarter2515; 08-01-2011 at 09:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kcarter2515's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kcarter2515 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kcarter2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #17
marginal
marginal is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Wrench Re: 2007 Saturn Aura XE Satellite Radio Install Question

Hi kcarter2515.

Could you please share your experience with installing that satellite radio kit?
I bought the same, but separately.
Now, I don't know which component is connected to which exactly, as I didn't buy them from that eBay seller, therefore I don't have assembly instructions.
That info might help others that are in my situation.

Thank you in advance..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marginal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marginal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marginal is offline   Reply With Quote