SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Mike1969
Mike1969 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Temp Gauge & Rear Defroster Issues

I recently picked up a 95 SL2 on Craigslist. After an engine swap and various other items I have the car on the road and it runs nice. Only a couple of issues left.

I have been over the forums looking but perhaps I have missed it. The temp gauge in the car does not work. At start up the needle with twitch up very slightly but will not move from that point. I picked up the correct 95 temp sensor today and installed it and checked the wiring. I'm getting 6.3 volts give or take at the plug at the sensor but the gauge will not budge. I have let the car warm up and checked this but nothing. Could the gauge in the dash be bad? Thoughts and other checks would be appreciated.

The rear defroster switch goes on but not off. I'm going to check the chime and fuses and relays for that but is there anything else I should check.

I appreciate everyones feedback.

Thanks

Mike

97 SL2
95 SL2
98 GMC Yukon
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee
07 Suzuki Boulevard C90T 1500cc

I'm Not Tailgating.. I'm drafting!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike1969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike1969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
jcasekim
jcasekim will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Temp Gauge & Rear Defroster Issues

Some models have two temp sensors, one for PCM (2 wires) and other for the gauge (one wire?). If have two, maybe you checked/replaced PCM ECTS and the problem is with the other one?

For the rear defroster, assuming it is actually defrosting the rear window but wont' turn off, there are only 3 possible problems: switch, relay, or CHIME module. It can't be the fuse or it wouldn't work at all. Relay is in the front right (passenger) footwell fusebox, new one costs like $9 or $11 at the parts store. Try swapping in an identical relay from something else you're not using at the moment, maybe power windows or fuel pump, or whatever uses the same relay down there.

Don't know how to diagnose CHIME module. Mine stopped chiming around the same time the rear window defroster stopped working, which is how (with help from Saturnfans.com) I figured to replace it. Bought mine from a dealer, but you might be able to find one on eBay or in a junkyard.

In case you need a switch, I happen to be selling one that might fit your car (definitely fits 1996-1999), as long as you don't have fog lamps or traction control. I'll sell it cheap! Send me a PM if you're interested. But check relay first--you don't want to be like me and buy a new defroster switch only to find your current one was fine after all. And I suspect your problem is relay or CHIME, not the switch.

'98 SL2 w/slushbox; Prothane dogbone inserts; eBay front STB; Progress springs 1.8" drop; Progress 19mm rear swaybar; KYB GR-2 struts; 3/8" rear hub spacers; rear disc brake swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcasekim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcasekim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcasekim is offline   Reply With Quote