SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
elmteacher
elmteacher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Road Trip

Just got back from a 3200 mile trip to the Great Smoky Mts, a wedding, and Atlantic Beach, NC. The car was loaded-you know crap stacked to the ceiling and a Thule 1600 box on the roof. We averaged 26.35 mpg over the trip with a high of 27.9 and a low of 24.65. I have always wanted to get rid of this car, but my wife wouldn't let me and it does nothing but work. I know there are bad Vues out there, but I have no complaints with mine. 80k miles, oil changes, 2nd set of tires, new hood(damn hail)-everything else original.

I'm edumacated, now what?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elmteacher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elmteacher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elmteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Road Trip

Thats pretty good considering all the extra weight!

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line
Happy Re: Road Trip

I have a 2005 Vue not very long but I like the car a lot and good to see such good gas milage. I average 24mpg US mixed driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linx3566's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linx3566 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
elmteacher

2004 VUE 2.2L

I guess the Vue just needed the monotony of 10-12 hr drives. The drive east I had a healthy tailwind, but after that it was pretty hard driving. I figured the mpg was a fluke at first, but it wavered only 3 mpg over the whole trip. Of course, I always wanted the extra power of the v6!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help elmteacher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I recently went on a similar trip:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140469

Overall mpgs for the trip was 24.24 mpgs. Not bad considering the speeds we were going, the amount of weight in the VUE, the wind we had at times and almost constant AC use.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
elmteacher

2004 VUE 2.2L

you practically drove past my house! I too have been searching for minivans-actually I am always searching for the next car, but a van would have made it all a lot smoother. No more crap up to your elbows after two hrs of driving and several hunts for toys/snacks/dolls! Funny thing, we went from a VW beetle thinking the Vue was huge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
scott2683
scott2683 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I live in Indiana, and last weekend I took a trip through the smokey mountains, down around the gatlinburg area. I have the 3.5 AWD and I was very impressed with the performance up and down the mountains and with my gas mileage. my worst mileage was 22, which included over an hour in stopped traffic, and my best mileage was 29 mpg, on my way home. I typically averaged 26mpg. I didn't think that was bad at all with 3 passengers and luggage. As far as performance goes, it went up the mountains flawlessly. Even when it down shifted at 75mph my RPMs were barely at 2800.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scott2683's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scott2683 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scott2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

On every car I driven if you keep the rpms under 3000 the highway mileage will be acceptable.

Good mileage considering your load and the mountains.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Good mileage considering your load and the mountains.
From my experience driving in the mountains (I live in Colorado, so I have a fair amount of mountain driving experience), driving up the mountains isn't nearly as taxing on the fuel economy as driving down the mountain is good for the fuel economy. A tankful of gas that contains mountain driving in either one of my cars will be 1-3 mpgs better than a normal tankful.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2683 View Post
I live in Indiana, and last weekend I took a trip through the smokey mountains, down around the gatlinburg area. I have the 3.5 AWD and I was very impressed with the performance up and down the mountains and with my gas mileage. my worst mileage was 22, which included over an hour in stopped traffic, and my best mileage was 29 mpg, on my way home. I typically averaged 26mpg. I didn't think that was bad at all with 3 passengers and luggage. As far as performance goes, it went up the mountains flawlessly. Even when it down shifted at 75mph my RPMs were barely at 2800.
When I drove to southern California from Washington earlier this year, 4 people plus luggage, I average about 26 also. My best was 29 and my worst was 21. My rpms stay roughly around 2000 on the flat roads

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
scott2683
scott2683 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm glad everyone else is getting good mileage on theirs too, I've mostly had pick up trucks and haven't gotten gas mileage like this before. I just find it impressive that a mid sized suv has the ability get mid to upper 20's mpg. Gotta love the honda engines i guess!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scott2683's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scott2683 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scott2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

[QUOTE=elmteacher;...I have always wanted to get rid of this car, but my wife wouldn't let me and it does nothing but work. I know there are bad Vues out there, but I have no complaints with mine.[/QUOTE]

I second that. I am only on my third set of tires and second set of rotors after 120,000 miles. These I'd consider well within "normal wear". The only thing I have replaced out of pocket for mine other than normal wear items is an odometer bulb at about $8.

Clutch is still original, motor runs great...

Only complaint is rattles. Dang, it rattles and squeaks like no other. I tried for a while keeping up with them but have given up. I can only laugh when I hear a new one now. It is an SUV and I payed as little as possible for it so I consider every trouble free mile I get out of it a bonus at this point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Two Shoes
Two Shoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmteacher View Post
Just got back from a 3200 mile trip to the Great Smoky Mts, a wedding, and Atlantic Beach, NC. The car was loaded-you know crap stacked to the ceiling and a Thule 1600 box on the roof. We averaged 26.35 mpg over the trip with a high of 27.9 and a low of 24.65. I have always wanted to get rid of this car, but my wife wouldn't let me and it does nothing but work. I know there are bad Vues out there, but I have no complaints with mine. 80k miles, oil changes, 2nd set of tires, new hood(damn hail)-everything else original.
I'm curious: does your Vue have a manual tranny? If not, and it's a VTi auto, is it FWD or AWD?

Cheers,
Two Shoes

2004 VUE 2.2L VTi AWD - ditched, Fall '09
2008 RAV4 2.4L I4 FWD - been driving ever since
A pat on the back, though only a few vertebrae separate from a kick in the pants, is miles ahead in results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Two Shoes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Two Shoes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Two Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote