SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
noanoxan
noanoxan is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default stealth antenna...tip

hello world. I have been lurking these forums for a while, learning what I can about saturns and what neat tricks I could and couldn't do..glad I read up on saturns and their differential. I wanted to burn up those cheap ass tires too...

anyway, I was looking at the how-to for the stealth antenna mod. the pics and how-to were based off a 96 sl2, but I guess the sc's are a little different. didn't see any way to mount the antenna in the a-pillar, so I put it in the fender.

a little tip for those with a 96 sc2: unscrew the 3-4 (can't remember exactly) 10mm screws on your quarter panel, but leave the one buried in the front next to the marker light. makes it easier to get your hands in there, and it seems the panels are keyed or something, so realignment is pretty simple. just snapped back for me.

oh, and to keep the antenna from vibrating, I cut up some of a double-wall bike inner tube into 3-4 little squares, cut a little slit in the center, and push them onto the antenna, spacing them out..

not too hard a mod, just took a sec to figure out what screws needed to be taken out, since I had no access to the a-pillar.

question! where would I be able to get a replacement weather seal kit? I'm not leaking or anything yet, but I noticed that some of the trim/seal..whatever's around the rear windshield; is starting to come loose. my mom's cutlass used to leak water in the rear and it killed our nice new pioneers..bad times. not to mention the rest of it is all dry-rotted looking and gray. pretty sure it's sure it was black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noanoxan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noanoxan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
noanoxan

1996 SC2
Default Re: stealth antenna...tip

oh yeah, one more thing...

who's the wise-ass that thought it'd be funny to attach body panels with flimsy, brittle, proprietary plastic snap things?! wtf. my man archimedes invented this nifty little doo-dad to hold things together. he called it the screw. well, it wasn't meant for holding things together at first, but it wasn't too hard to see the potential.

saturns should come with a little club card that gets you free plastic snaps. of all 400 types..

[/rant]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Your '96 coupe was an "oddball" in that it has a gen-2 dashboard and gen-2 engine (OBD-II, composite cam cover), it retained the body from gen-1; it looks like a '91-'95. A '97 would, I believe, have a provision for the antenna under the A-pillar trim panel. Your in-the-fender idea would be a good one for any gen-1 (sedan, wagon, coupe) owner.

Awesome, another innertube "second chance" reuser! Ingenious use for it. A gazillion uses; my most recent is a piece behind the rear license plate frame on the tailgate, to keep it from "buzzing" against the tailgate panel when I turn the back speakers up.

Threaded fasteners are usually reserved for fastening parts with enough weight to require them, or for attachments that have to be tight. Those inner fender panels aren't really "body" panels, and they don't weigh enough, and don't need to be so tight, as to require screws. Those center-pin rivets go on pretty quick on the assembly line. They're not the least bit proprietary. They're WAY expensive at the dealer, kinda expensive in the little Motormite "HELP" blister packs, and pretty cheap in bulk. Once you know how they work, they're quicker than screws.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noanoxan View Post
saturns should come with a little club card that gets you free plastic snaps. of all 400 types..
Theres only three or four different types in the car and I never damage them when removing them.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
SL2_Gold
SL2_Gold is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

"saturns should come with a little club card that gets you free plastic snaps. of all 400 types."

"Theres only three or four different types in the car and I never damage them when removing them"

BURN! lol

Ya man just dont be dumb and try to muscle your way through take your time and be careful.

Only black 1st gen SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2_Gold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2_Gold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I've broken a few. But they are cheap and therefor I have a bin with a couple of each type in my garage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
noanoxan

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2_Gold View Post
"saturns should come with a little club card that gets you free plastic snaps. of all 400 types."

"Theres only three or four different types in the car and I never damage them when removing them"

BURN! lol

Ya man just dont be dumb and try to muscle your way through take your time and be careful.
I'm not exactly a monkey, so I'm pretty good at figuring simple fasteners out. and that's not the problem. I was annoyed at them because after 100k miles, I'm missing a few random fasteners on the exterior and the gauge cluster bezel. when combined with a cracked dash panel (that will be replaced soon), the buzzing is quite annoying.

screws aren't expensive..

also, I'm used to screws. I don't care how easy the fasteners are, they obviously don't hold as well as screws. that's all I'm saying.

since I got another answer to a question that I was going to pose later (how much are the fasteners), I'm just going to go around with $20 worth of machine screws and loctite. fix that problem.

btw, 400 is an exaggeration as to type, perhaps. but I wonder just how many they used to clip my car together..

so um, go burn yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmWt5BYvsOE

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Title of FIRST "related video" link: "Alien Speech Found in NASA's Saturn Radio Signal". Coincidence?....

There's NO way those rivet fasteners just came out on their own, even after 100,000 miles, unless they're not reinstalled correctly. You can lose a screw when you remove it just as easily as a plastic rivet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #10
noanoxan

1996 SC2

I like how you say there's "NO" way those fasteners can come out on their own. you're so sure of their infallibility. they did, and I'm done arguing.

oh and nice touch with the video. you obviously missed the part where I said I knew how to remove them.

look, I didn't come to this forum to argue about petty nonsense like this. I was just asking why, but I guess that's just another mystery of gm. oh well. not like it really matters..

if screws won't/don't work, then rivets will. it's not like I'll need to remove my trunk panel anytime soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noanoxan View Post
I like how you say there's "NO" way those fasteners can come out on their own. you're so sure of their infallibility. they did, and I'm done arguing.
Sorry; I guess I should have said they're no more likely to come loose than a threaded fastener (see the recent thread about a member's visor SCREW coming loose).

Quote:
but I guess that's just another mystery of gm.
This car has very little GM design influence. Moreover, I've never seen a car that uses screws in the places where our cars have rivets. Esp. interior trim and fender liners. Not saying there aren't any, but the Chryslers, Fords, Mitsus and occasional other import I've seen use very similar fasteners. Maybe it's a mystery, but not of GM.

One fastener inherited from GM on our our cars that is just plain dumb is the horseshoe clip for the window handle. A perfect example of where a screw would have done the same job, and been MUCH easier to service. Someone at GM in 1951 must have had some vanity hangup about a screw-head showing in the center of the crank handle, and we're paying for it to this day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

noanoxan-

Thanks for the tip! I did the mod today and I am very happy with it.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ya, I've had the phantom antenna done since I joined this forum, I always forget about it... i guess cause I can't see it...

But it looks so much cleaner than the cars with the antenna.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote