SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
2vuesup
2vuesup is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default 3 Baby car seats in VUE? Can it be done?

I am having my 3rd child in less then a month.
One is in a booster seat, one in a toddler seat, and now another infant seat.

we tried yesterday to use two car seats on each side but then the booster for our daughter would not fit in the middle. Our daughter still needs that booster.

we also tried putting the two car seats side by side but then still, the booster would not fit.

Has anyone been in this dilemma before? Any recommendations for what type of car seats we could buy?

And no, we cannot afford a Relay or an outlook .
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Life is short, buy a VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2vuesup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2vuesup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2vuesup is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 3 Baby car seats in VUE? Can it be done?

Tough situation there. I have an infant seat and a toddler seat in my VUE and I don't see how there's room for anything else. My Protege might be on the chopping block as they get older and bigger- but we'll see.

I guess I would go to the store with a tape measure and measure out the narrowist seats I could find. Hopefully you have a Babies R Us close by with a big selection or something similar.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

I fit three in the back of my Protege5, and did this earlier in a Ford Contour. It can be done. Quite easily in the Protege, actually.

The booster you might need is the Graco TurboBooster. It's the narrowest out there. Comes in a few different models. I needed this model in the Contour, but not in the Protege. Two regular boosters plus a Britax Roundabout fit fine in the Mazda.

At one point I had a rearward facing Britax, a forward facing Britax, and a Graco all in the Contour. Barely fit.

Rule of thumb is to look at the rear hip room. 45 inches is the bare minimum, that's what I had in the Contour. The VUE has 52.7.

Contact me for a little trick that can make buckling and unbuckling easier.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

I recently had a Recaro "Young Sport" child seat on the right and a Graco "Comfort Sport?" convertible seat, with infant harness attached, in the middle position. I did have to remove the cupholder from the Graco seat.

There was still plenty of room for an adult to sit behind the driver. Both seats are fairly tall and narrow. We have another Graco seat that is more of a rounded shape and it would not fit in the middle position with another seat in an outboard position.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

I've struggled with this one as well to no avail. The rear seat is about 52 inches wide, each car seat is about 18 inches wide (54 inches total). For this reason, my next car will probably be an Outlook (61 inches wide) as we often need space for a third in the back seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
mkaresh
Advanced Member

You might just need a smaller seat. It's a lot cheaper to buy a new car seat than a new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Yeah, we did it for grandkids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

We used to have one toddler seat, and 2 booster seats back there. They fit very snug, but still fit. We had the toddler seat on the passenger side, and the 2 boosters in the middle and left seats. The kids could not buckle themselves in, the seats were too close together. But we made it work. Now that we have 3 booster seats, it is much easier. It's still sometimes a chore getting the buckles all buckled, but we make it work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Same issue as you, 1 toddler and 2 harness style car seats didn't fit in our Vue.

Hello Relay!

We squeezed them into the Vue once, and the car seat handles were overlapping, the seats were not level and had to jam the door closed.
Not very safe, but we were in a bind. Just think of the lack of crumple space if we were broadsided. Or if the side airbags deployed.

Anyhow, we traded our 3 year old Vue in on a Relay, Both vehicles actually had remarkably similar MSRP's. Our payments went up about $50 a month due to the negative equity of the Vue. But insurance went down by $30 a month I think I recall.

Honestly, I think a new vehicle is in your future. GM (Saturn) vans have probably the lowest resale around. 1 year old vans typically take a 33% hit.
There are pretty good deals to be had on those vans. Who knows what the current incentives on New Relays are right now. I'm sure they have massive incentives with 0% interest.

You'd be surprised what a good dealer can pull off.
My long time Saturn dealer worked miricles when we needed to swap our Vue for a Relay. At the time money was tight, wife not working, 2 new kids in under a year. They found incentives, loyalties, boosted trade in values to make the numbers work. Honestly, if they made $100 bucks on the whole transaction, I'd be surprised. However, they have retained me as a customer that does all my servicing at their store and where am I going to go first when we need another new car. There's big bucks for dealers who build a loyal customer base.

I know you said you cant afford it, but until you ask you never know what they can do for you. If you truely cant afford it good luck with the car seats.
I hope you can find a solution.

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BradJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
M7Mayberry

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJK View Post
However, they have retained me as a customer that does all my servicing at their store and where am I going to go first when we need another new car. There's big bucks for dealers who build a loyal customer base.
Glad you found such a great dealer. I have one, too. But it's the Chevrolet dealer where I bought my trucks. LOL

2007 Vue 5-speed manual

Last edited by M7Mayberry; 07-21-2007 at 02:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

This should work. Put an adult in the back seat along with two of the child seats, and put the other child seat up front. Probably not the most comfortable situation for the adult sitting in the back, but if you ALL have to go somewhere at the same time in the same vehicle, splitting them up like that should work. Put the biggest car seat up front, so there's more room for the adult in the back...

Good luck!

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Unless yours has some kind of sensor in the seat to deactivate the airbag (do VUE's even have that?) I'd be very hesitant to put a car seat up front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #13
M7Mayberry

2007 VUE 2.2L

The 2007 Vue has an air bag sensor for the passenger seat, don't know about the '05. Depending on MinnEsota law, it may be illegal to put a child in the front seat. In California, it depends on the age, weight and height of the child.

2007 Vue 5-speed manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #14
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

I'll accept that the 2007 VUE may have a seat sensor but I can almost guarantee you the 2005 won't.

My AURA has such a sensor but I still don't think I'd put my preschooler in the passenger's seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
I'll accept that the 2007 VUE may have a seat sensor but I can almost guarantee you the 2005 won't.
I'm pretty sure 2005 cars had this. To tell, put a briefcase or something on the seat that is about 20 pounts and turn the car on and drive around the block. There will be a light that comes on the dash to tell you that the passenger's airbag is off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I'm pretty sure 2005 cars had this. To tell, put a briefcase or something on the seat that is about 20 pounts and turn the car on and drive around the block. There will be a light that comes on the dash to tell you that the passenger's airbag is off.
I know my 2004 doesn't have this, and as far as I know, the seats in the '04 and '05 are the same. I didn't know any Vue had an airbag sensor for the passenger seat, honestly.

I know at least one other member on these forums has had 3 car seats in the back seat. They had to shop around for the narrowest seats they could find, but it worked for them. It's all about seat selection.

The other alternative is roof rails, of course.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #17
mkaresh
Advanced Member

One thing I didn't mention earlier: it helps if the middle seat sits higher than the others, so that the bolsters can overlap. The Britax I have in the middle sits well above any boosters.

Some European families have three children. They generally get by without three-row vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #18
2vuesup
2vuesup is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Thanks every one for such good replies.

We bought a teddy bear booster and its 16inches across.

Were going to implement that along with one toddler seat and one infant seat.

As soon as we do this and if it works ill reply back with our final outcome .

I liked all ideas on this board and I hope this one works.

Thanks again

Life is short, buy a VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2vuesup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2vuesup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2vuesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I have 2 toddler race seat style boosters and now an infant rear facing cradle with seat in the back of my 2004 Vue. Really tight back there. LOL We need a new car... LOL

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04SilverVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Haven't even tried it, but then again the only baby that sits in my Vue is the big one that sits between the driver's seat and steering wheel.

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote