SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Oil Change Timer

What part of the VUE does the oil change calculation? And if I had to disconnect the battery for a while and shut down power to this unit, would the oil change timer be reset?

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Oil Change Timer

The GM OLS (Oil Life System) calculated many different things to determine when to change the oil. Check out these articles.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle...fe_system.html

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...or_041603.html

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ow_041603.html

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...qa_041603.html

It also does state that if you think the system might be comprimised (ie unhooking the battery ect) that you should change the oil at the regular 3,000 miles interval and reset the system . Then follow the OLS light after this.
Personnally I would think that when you disconnect the battery it would reset your OLS thus requiring a oil change at 3K. I mean that if the radio cannot keep its stations then I would not expect the OLS to keep its settings. But just some info for you.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Probably didn't reset it, although I can't say for sure as I haven't tested this theory, it dosen't seem to affect mine. Unfortunately they took a set backwards with the oil light in the Vue. it goes by how many times you turn the key in the ignition. Estimates it at a certain mileage per engine start. i.e. every time you start your car it counts 50 miles. which makes it innacurate as hell. it took my light almost nine thousand miles to turn on the first time because I was regulaly driving 100 miles in a trip twice a day. They keep saying that they will release a software update but i doubt it will ever fix the problem. my L-Series was the best, it calculated by engine rotations and my driving patters, along with a viscosity sensor and it was always right on the money. But when it comes to the sensor in the vue. just ignore it. I'm going to pull the bulb one of these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
My 1st Ute
My 1st Ute is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Actually, if you read the second article posted above, the graph seems to support that your long highway runs will yield approximately 9000 mile intervals. My timer turns on at approximately 6000 miles, and I only run about 30 mile trips twice a day. That's too much of a difference in intervals vs. miles to be just when you turn the key.

9000/100 = 90 turns
6000/30 = 200 turns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to My 1st Ute's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help My 1st Ute reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylenThunder
my L-Series was the best, it calculated by engine rotations and my driving patters, along with a viscosity sensor and it was always right on the money.
I would love to see where that viscosity sensor resides.
Can you show from the parts book?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

There is no viscocity sensor. It's all an algorithm..probably from run times, engine revs, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #7
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I have always changed every 3k miles, and use a synthetic blend. It is dirty when it comes out after 3k miles, so I don't feel bad about it. I'd rather pull that dirty oil out at 3k miles than let it sit in there for another 3k or so... Even if I wind up doing twice the oil changes over the life of the car, I'll still come out ahead, so far as I figure... (getting your oil and filter at wholesale helps too. )

I am going to send a sample to Blackstone labs next time I change my oil (in 1k miles), and I'll see what they have to say... if they say I'm good for another 1k or 2k, then maybe I'll switch to 4k intervals, send in another sample, and if they say it's still good, switch to 5k (and probably start using full synthetic Mobil1).

Having a lab analyze your oil is the only real way to know if it should be changed or not. I recommend sending in a sample after 9k miles and see what they have to say about it.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
I have always changed every 3k miles, and use a synthetic blend. It is dirty when it comes out after 3k miles, so I don't feel bad about it. I'd rather pull that dirty oil out at 3k miles than let it sit in there for another 3k or so... Even if I wind up doing twice the oil changes over the life of the car, I'll still come out ahead, so far as I figure... (getting your oil and filter at wholesale helps too. )

I am going to send a sample to Blackstone labs next time I change my oil (in 1k miles), and I'll see what they have to say... if they say I'm good for another 1k or 2k, then maybe I'll switch to 4k intervals, send in another sample, and if they say it's still good, switch to 5k (and probably start using full synthetic Mobil1).

Having a lab analyze your oil is the only real way to know if it should be changed or not. I recommend sending in a sample after 9k miles and see what they have to say about it.

Which synthetic will you be using? Is there a substitute for the 5W-20? Last I checked, Mobil1 didn't make oil in this viscosity...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tollag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Estimates it at a certain mileage per engine start. i.e. every time you start your car it counts 50 miles.
I'm curious, where did you get this information?

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollag
Which synthetic will you be using? Is there a substitute for the 5W-20? Last I checked, Mobil1 didn't make oil in this viscosity...
Well actually Mobil recently dropped the 0W-20 and added 5W-20 to there lineup. You can get it at Autozone.

Mobil 1 0W-20 was the substitute for the 5W-20 and specifically said "Made for Honda & Ford engines requiring 5W-20." Well I guess they got into some legal trouble with this and dropped the 0W-20 after a lawsuit and started making an exact spec 5W-20 to smooth over the manufacturers. So you should start seeing it showing up in stores real soon if it is not already. My Autozone got it about a month ago but Wal-Mart has yet to get any. Just FYI.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Probably didn't reset it, although I can't say for sure as I haven't tested this theory, it dosen't seem to affect mine. Unfortunately they took a set backwards with the oil light in the Vue. it goes by how many times you turn the key in the ignition. Estimates it at a certain mileage per engine start. i.e. every time you start your car it counts 50 miles. which makes it innacurate as hell. it took my light almost nine thousand miles to turn on the first time because I was regulaly driving 100 miles in a trip twice a day. They keep saying that they will release a software update but i doubt it will ever fix the problem. my L-Series was the best, it calculated by engine rotations and my driving patters, along with a viscosity sensor and it was always right on the money. But when it comes to the sensor in the vue. just ignore it. I'm going to pull the bulb one of these days.
"The GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short-trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil change to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GMOLS will indicate an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. GM data shows the OLS extends oil change intervals without risk to the engine. "

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante

I too ordered a couple of kits from Blackstone Labs. I recently switched to Mobil 1 and starting using the OLS. So this is my first "extended drain interval". I will be sending samples in at 3K, 6K, and when the OLS goes off just to see what testing shows. I have seen other testing done on the Vue from Blackstone and even at 6K the Mobil oil was still going strong. So I will see.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

The OLS has never activated in my '03 VUE V6, and I've pushed it to 6500 once. I use Mobil-1 5W30 (the L81 V6 requires 5W30), and previously used Royal Purple 5W30. The Mobil-1 is far superior to Royal Purple. I base this on comparing engine noise and sludge formation. Neither oil resulted in any leaking or consumption, even at 6500 miles. I will not exceed 7500 miles on a change because that is the rating of the OEM filters that I use. Even with the Royal Purple, the oil coming out (I change my own) appeared to have much more life in it, as it was still translucent. I just checked my Mobil-1 last night at 3000 miles, and it looks like basically fresh oil on the white paper towel. Mobil-1 is cheaper and much more readily available than Royal Purple, and the 5 qt. jug works out just right for the L81.
BTW, the OLS cannot tell what kind of oil you have in the engine, so if you use synthetic and are comfortable with extended drain intervals, you might consider just resetting the oil alarm light when it goes off. Otherwise it will probably drive you crazy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk
I'm curious, where did you get this information?

John

That's what the dealer in Spokane told me when I asked him why I was at 9,000 miles and hadn't had my light turn on yet.

And as for the viscosity sensor, I read that in an early press release on the L-Series before I purchased it. I never doubted it because the light would blink when my oil started to turn color and go solid when it was time to change, and it was always right on. Never failed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

i have heard various stories about the OLS; when i first had my Vue i asked about it and the service manager told me that he'd do what i always do-change the oil every 3000 mi. And that's exactly what i do. i have the service plan, so every 3K she goes in for the oil change and gets a bath too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #16
King1679
King1679 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I am using AMSOIL Synthetic XL in my Vue and will be changing the oil every 7,500 or six months as the call for (They do state that if using a factory installed oil mointering system that it may go longer). In my Hyundai Tuscan I am using their premium oil that can go to 1 yr. drain intervals or 25,000 miles. I plan on sending my oil in for testing to make sure it lives up to their claims. I will post what I discover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to King1679's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help King1679 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 AM   #17
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by King1679
I am using AMSOIL Synthetic XL in my Vue and will be changing the oil every 7,500 or six months as the call for (They do state that if using a factory installed oil mointering system that it may go longer). In my Hyundai Tuscan I am using their premium oil that can go to 1 yr. drain intervals or 25,000 miles. I plan on sending my oil in for testing to make sure it lives up to their claims. I will post what I discover.
As a user of oil analysis for many years, DO NOT guess at this!!! Spend the $$ and get an idea of what the oil is REALLY capable of, NOT just what the manufacturer claims. Your engine MAY be different than what the test engines showed from the mfg. Don't assume that the Tuscon and the Vue can go the same number of miles on the oil. The internal clearances and metalurgy may be completely different. Good Luck with it!
DH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #18
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I second David's advice. It's relatively easy to take a sample every 3k miles and have Blackstone labs analyze it. If they say it's toasted, then you best change it as soon as you get your results back! I can't imagine going 25k miles on the same oil. Perhaps if we were burning propane for fuel, but gasoline simply has too much blow-by gunk and by-products that damage your oil to let it go that long. It's not that the oil has lost it's viscosity or ability to lubricate, it's just DIRTY and no filter in the world can change the chemical makeup of your oil. Filters can only remove particles (down to a certain size), which mostly means dirt and dust and bits of your O-rings that are getting flaked off as they are being disolved by the incredibly acidic oil that's been in your oil pan for the last 24 thousand miles. :P

Seriously, best of luck. I hope you don't mind replacing half the engine parts in the Tuscon (that's an o, not an a, btw) at some point. There's something to be said for preventative maintenance. Seriously, get your oil analyzed every 3k-5k miles and make sure it's not toasted and dirty before just blindly leaving it in for 25k miles. 25k "normal" miles is probably less than 15k real world miles.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #19
blaz
blaz is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Before OLS, towing a trailer was considered "severe service" and required more frequent oil changes. Now, according to the VUE manual, "server service" only requires more frequent transmission fluid changes.

I guess the OLS calculations take into account the "severe service" somehow,
Like maybe the engine is running hotter or at higher rpms ?

Nevermind - Just read the links to GM websites posted above and they mention trailer towing as raising the engine temperature. And it also monitors rpm.

Last edited by blaz; 04-06-2005 at 10:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #20
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Er, I mean Tucson. *I'm an IDIOT!!* LOL Sorry for being an ass.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Vehicles/Tucson/Main.asp

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread