SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
tusharriv
tusharriv is on a distinguished road

Default Flat tire. What to do?

Last night at 1 a.m. while driving home 150 miles from a concert, something must of come off the road and it tore a hole in the sidewall of my tire in the middle of nowhere. We have a 2004 FWD V6 VUE with the 17" duelers. The jack that came with the car is a joke, but I got the donut put on and we made it home. My dilema is, I don't know what I should do about this tire situation. We have 19,000 on the original duelers. So the questions are: 1. Can I get by just replacing the one dueler at $135 from the Saturn dealer? 2. Should I get 2 duelers to keep either the front or back even? 3. Should I just get 4 better tires even though I don't necessarily have the money right now to do it? If I go for different tires, what should I get and what price can I expect to pay. Thanks, as always, for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tusharriv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tusharriv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Flat tire. What to do?

How did the tire go flat? Nail, or blow out? If it's just a nail, i'd purchase a seal kit for something like $5.00 at Wal*Mart.

If it was a blowout, then I'd just replace one... You don't need to pay $132 either... Clicky Clicky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tollag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

With 19K on the others I'd get two new tires for the front and the two best exsisting tires on the rear and save the extra tire.

I wouldn't want a half worn tire opposite a new tire.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I would replace two tires and if possible, save the remaining good tire for future use. Also, spring for roadhazard insurance through an authorized Firestone/Bridgestone dealer.
A puncture or tear in the sidewall is unsafe to repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Tollag

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotted73
I would replace two tires and if possible, save the remaining good tire for future use. Also, spring for roadhazard insurance through an authorized Firestone/Bridgestone dealer.
A puncture or tear in the sidewall is unsafe to repair.

Wowzers. I guess I didn't read the post closely enough. Yes- you can't safely repair a sidewall.. My apologies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
tusharriv

It was a blowout on the sidewall pretty close to the wheel. It is about an inch and half tear. I guess I will replace the two. Time to call around and see if I can get one close to the tirerack price locally. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tusharriv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
mhzjnky
mhzjnky is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
With 19K on the others I'd get two new tires for the front and the two best exsisting tires on the rear and save the extra tire.
I acutally just repleaced two tires on my wife's car at Discount Tire. They had the results of a study that said it's safer to put the newer tires on the back if you have a front wheel drive car.

Here's a link to there study:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/broc...wTiresRear.jsp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mhzjnky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mhzjnky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Man, so Bridgestone Duelers are like the only things out there for the Vue V6, that sucks.
Just replace two of them.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Tollag

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwill
Man, so Bridgestone Duelers are like the only things out there for the Vue V6, that sucks.
Just replace two of them.

Thats not the only option.. Check out the tirerack.. there are a few different options there... Also check out 1010tires.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I did check tirerack, they only listed 2 tires, and they were both Bridgestone Duelers.
1010tires listed quite a few more though.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #11
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

There are very few replacement options and they are hard to find or special order. That is why tirerack doesn't show them. I had to special order my Michelin Pilot LTX (215/70-16). I think the main options are Bridgestone Duelers, Michelin LTX, and Michelin Pilot LTX's. Not many other tires in a 215/70-16.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:57 PM   #12
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The 2005 Honda Odyssey uses a 235/65-16 tire as well. The original equipment tire is Michelin Energy LX4 all season tire and is load rated above the Duellers. They are $124.00 at Tire Rack, but you may find them at a lower price elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L

tusharriv mentioned that he had the 17" tires and there are not many options to be had in the 235/60/17 sizes. Tire rack lists the duellers and 2 goodyear tires. If he has a sears near him I beleive that they carry the duellers for around $85 but they will charge extra for balancing which has to be done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
tusharriv

I called around to many places, and discount tire got me a new dueler for $90 installed. They balanced them all out. They said the tread on my other 3 was good enough that I didn't need to get 2. I hope there are more 17" tires out when it is time to replace them all. Thanks for all of your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Replacing a pair is always better, and putting them on the rear is recommended. Since you're only replacing half your tires, stick with the same size and brand and tread pattern. If you're replacing all four, you can vary a bit on the width and even the sidewall ratio. For example, if your stock tires are 235/60/R16, you can probably find a 245/55/R16 or 245/60/R16, which will be a bit wider (and taller in the latter case). You are NOT locked into the exact factory size. After all, the RL suspension is an inch lower, and they put 245/50/R18s on there stock, so you can certainly go up to 245 width.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #16
tbl01
tbl01 is on a distinguished road

Mine, my wife and my newborn daughters life is priceless. Ditch the tire repair idea and buy 2 new tires.

If it costs you $200 (plus or minus) dollars you will still be way ahead of the game!!

Worst place to be cheap or penny foolish is on something you use every day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tbl01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tbl01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread