SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
bendrexl
bendrexl is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Wrench Retro-fitting factory fog lights

I'm working on retro-fitting some OEM fog lights into my 07 Ion 2.

I've got the lights, bulbs, and replacement lower-grille coming (less than $100 total on eBay, and they gave me a $20 off coupon!). Now I'm working on the switch and harness.

For the harness, I'm going to buy one of the generic HID-relay kits all over eBay for $5-10; they include a relay and bulb connectors too.

I really want to use a factory-looking switch that fits well, but the OEM switch for these things seems to be $50+ on eBay. I don't know what's so special about it, but the much more common switch GM used on the Cobalt (and many others) is $10 and looks to be the same diameter, though the mounting looks different.

Any experience or suggestions? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bendrexl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bendrexl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bendrexl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
bendrexl

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Retro-fitting factory fog lights

... or should I just forget about the dedicated in-car switch and tie the relay straight into the parking lights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bendrexl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Tweedle_Dee
Tweedle_Dee is on a distinguished road

I have no answers but just wanted to say that I'm very interested in doing this for my 2005. I'd be interested to see/hear about the finished project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tweedle_Dee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tweedle_Dee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tweedle_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
bendrexl

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Post Re: Retro-fitting factory fog lights

Cool! I'll take photos as I can.

My shopping list so far:
ebay:
  • $50 - Saturn GM OEM 03-07 Ion-Grille-Lower 22684300
  • $6 - Xenon HID Conversion Kit Relay Wiring Harness H8 H9 H11
  • $50 - 05-07 4 door sedan Saturn Ion fog lights:
  • LEFT SIDE GM CATALOG NUMBER 15258859
  • RIGHT SIDE GM CATALOG NUMBER 15258858

amazon (or ebay):
  • $23 - Generic 35W AC HID Ballast (x2)
  • $13 - 3000K Yellow HID 35W H11 bulb (x2)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
bendrexl

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I had to return the bulbs, as I should have ordered 880-sized bulbs.

Here's all the parts test-fitted and powered on - the HID 3000k bulbs seemed a bit green on first ignition, but warmed up quickly and are decently warm. Not exactly "golden", but were very good-looking for $11.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160316_212305.jpg (209.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160317_005242.jpg (148.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrexl View Post
I had to return the bulbs, as I should have ordered 880-sized bulbs.

Here's all the parts test-fitted and powered on - the HID 3000k bulbs seemed a bit green on first ignition, but warmed up quickly and are decently warm. Not exactly "golden", but were very good-looking for $11.
Have you looked in a junk yard for all of the parts? That's what I'd do, unless you have a coupe. The coupe parts, at least in my experience, are hard to find.

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zosozeppelin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:12 AM   #7
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

my ion originally did not come with the fogs also, and was able to get the lens and bumper grill insert at a local pull-a-part for next to nothing.
i then also ordered the HID wire harness.

as for power, i added a generic toggle switch in place where the OEM would go, and then for a power source, i spliced off of the positive of the rear power outlet, since that outlet turned off with the car, and i would not have to worry about them staying on with the car off, and then of course grounding onto the chassis.

my HIDs however are the 6000k bulbs, with 35w ballasts.
another thing too, which i didnt notice until after i bought the lens was that the little chrome piece that covers the bulb inside the lens are missing, so my fogs act like mini high beams.
i cant open them to paint them black either since they appear to be permanently glued shut, so baking them will do nothing.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 AM   #8
bendrexl

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosozeppelin View Post
Have you looked in a junk yard for all of the parts?
Yeah, I didn't find any local wrecks with fog lights... that would have been ideal, and should be the first thing to check for anyone wanting to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
my ion originally did not come with the fogs also, and was able to get the lens and bumper grill insert at a local pull-a-part for next to nothing.

as for power, i added a generic toggle switch in place where the OEM would go, and then for a power source, i spliced off of the positive of the rear power outlet, since that outlet turned off with the car, and i would not have to worry about them staying on with the car off, and then of course grounding onto the chassis.

my HIDs however are the 6000k bulbs, with 35w ballasts.
another thing too, which i didnt notice until after i bought the lens was that the little chrome piece that covers the bulb inside the lens are missing, so my fogs act like mini high beams.
i cant open them to paint them black either since they appear to be permanently glued shut, so baking them will do nothing.
Good suggestion on the power source - I often use my lighter outlet for fast-charging RC car/plane batteries or running an inverter, but with 35w ballasts I guess I should still be under 15A.

I'm not sure what you mean about the bulbs/lenses though - mine didn't have anything covering the top of the bulbs either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Finkle
Finkle is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I can't help but jump in as I am doing the same thing on my coupe.

From what I read, the switch is just a signal to the BCM. It doesn't actually do anything with the Fog lights themselves, just tell the BCM you wan them turned on or off. The switch itself is a momentary contact switch, the BCM remembers if the fogs were on or off last time the care was driven, and returned them to that state when the headlights are turned on. That being said, the factory switch would need a logic ciruit to control a relay for the fogs, and the BCM would need to be programmed to use the fog switch for factory like operation. I am planning on putting a locking push button switch in place of the hole where the factory one would go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Finkle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Finkle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
bendrexl

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle View Post
From what I read, the switch is just a signal to the BCM. It doesn't actually do anything with the Fog lights themselves, just tell the BCM you wan them turned on or off.
Thanks for sharing that info! I tried to dig up info on the factory switch myself, but didn't find much of anything.

I'm probably going to just tie my relay into the parking lights for now. With bulbs as cheap as these are, I don't mind them being on all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!