SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #21
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2
Default Re: Thermostat.... or?

So, I've been driving around the city today, some stop and go, and some moving along at 40mph or so. And my gauge has been living around here, maybe right at half while moving. Temperature outside is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this normal gauge position from a 1993 DOHC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-11-17 13.03.36.jpg (31.4 KB, 12 views)

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 205,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #22
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Maybe. That's about where my '94 runs now, after a new t-stat. Mine is closer to "1/2", but what you show is probably only 5F or so higher. I can look at OBD1 live-data, have seen that just 5-10F makes a lot of difference in the gauge reading. The gauge, by the way, is reading from the separate 1-wire sensor, that may not be too accurate...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
So, I've been driving around the city today, some stop and go, and some moving along at 40mph or so. And my gauge has been living around here, maybe right at half while moving. Temperature outside is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this normal gauge position from a 1993 DOHC?
Yes, that is a reasonable indication for a new thermostat. As the thermostat elastomer seal conforms to the housing throat it will drop slightly to about right at 1/2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #24
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
You are right about that hose, it's kind of a nuisance. Those screws weren't all that hard for me, but the plastic splash-shield behind the air-dam was missing on the car I recently did. Having the shield gone gave pretty good access, I think it would be worth the time to remove it. With that off, nothing else has to be removed (except coolant!), just the two t-stat housing screws. The hoses can stay on the housing.
It might be worth dropping the radiator baffle, but (at least in the 1993-1994 cars) factory OE has it held in place with center-pin pushpins. I assume (but have not checked) that they can accept the same type of pushpin that is now specified for the air duct. When I had to re-hang my air deflector recently, I was relieved to be able to do it with the baffle still in place.

It is actually possible to reach the lower thermostat bolt from below without removing the baffle. That is how the previous owner of my car did the thermostat 12 years ago. It was a very awkward way to do the job and probably made it take twice as long as it should have, but it allowed belt-driven accessories to be left alone and was the obvious approach for someone not used to dealing with pushpin-type fasteners in the engine compartment.

Quote:
What kind of markings would an OEM have? I'm curious, still have the old one I recently removed.
Besides branding, I'd look for an eight-digit part number and the words "MADE IN GERMANY."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
I did my thermostat 15 months ago and it was also my experience that the gauge read slightly higher with a fresh unit (I'd say about 1/16) than it does now, under similar operating conditions. However, in smooth traffic it hung mostly at 7/16 regardless of temperature instead of just past 1/2. My thermostat is not the same as yours (Delco OEM replacement, part of a thermostat kit, rather than a Stant 14279, since I didn't have an OEM outlet); also, I suspect traffic is just more soupy in metro Boston than it is here in Wichita. I wouldn't worry about this reading.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #25
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Mine sits just a hair under half to a hair over, but in the driving conditions you specify it would be in the position shown in your picture.

Here is a recent shot from a late night highway run

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...6&d=1447579842

1999 SL2 A4 -86k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 11-17-2015 at 05:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #26
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Just changed my thermostat. I suspected it was bad, temp gauge has been a little wrong here and there. I was right, here is what I pulled out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.6 KB, 99 views)

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #27
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
What kind of markings would an OEM have? I'm curious, still have the old one I recently removed.
My OEM thermostat

All originals that I've ever seen confirmed as original "as shipped" units by owners have these markings.

They also have the words "Made in Germany" stamped on the tabs, as well as what appears to be a date code. I've never taken a photo from that angle, but I think I've seen one floating around on the forums.

The originals ran a little cooler than almost all of the aftermarket units. Easy to see on the gauge on the '95 and earlier cars, probably hard to notice on the later cars.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Yep, that's the marking one my old one, with "Germany" on the locking tab.

More curiosity: in the pictures posted the t-stats look so nice and shiny-clean, is that because of glare from the camera flash, or does everybody else scrub their old ones clean? Mine is tarnished, like it has been in engine coolant for 20 years...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #29
KSabo
KSabo is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Am I dealing with the same issue as the OP, or something different?

1. It's a 2002 SC2 manual DOHC 186,000 miles.

2. I'm in SoCal where cold is 40 degrees.

3. Vehicle has been very consistent - within a few minutes of starting in the morning, temp gauge comes off of 0 to 1/8 or so, and within a few miles - say 3 - it's at 3/8. It cycles w/ fan on just past 1/2.

4. I think this is the original thermostat but am not certain.

I work 5 miles from home so no rush hour traffic for this car.

HOWEVER - yesterday, I had an appointment elsewhere so I ended up in rush hour traffic idling mainly for an hour, and the temp gauge took 20 minutes to creep up to 1/8 and then it never went past 1/4. I returned home late and it never crept up higher than 1/4. All completely abnormal behavior for the car.

Yet today, back to work near my home, and it went back up to 3/8. I took it for a little drive and got it hot enough to cycle at just past 1/2, as normal.

Nightime low temps both days were 44 F give or take a degree. High yesterday was 75 and today will be near 90.

What was happening yesterday? Do I have an intermittent issue?

Black 2002 SC2 manual 1.9L DOHC - 210,000 miles (July 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KSabo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KSabo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KSabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #30
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Never replaced the t-stat? Replace it. You're describing the same symptoms and you won't know until you remove it to see if the rubber seal disintegrated the way others showed theirs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #31
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Past 1/2 is normal for you? I am running the most coolant in my mixture ever and i noticed it hotter than before, but still slightly less than half.

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #32
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
Past 1/2 is normal for you? I am running the most coolant in my mixture ever and i noticed it hotter than before, but still slightly less than half.
There are a host of undefined random variables that impact the indication of the gauge. If that indication is causing your undies to bunch up then get a good long stem meat thermometer and thread it back so the actual stram of coolant from that small hose no 0ne cares about until it plugs up and monitor the meat thermometer vs the gauge indication. The bottom of the top hose right at the radiator will get rapidly hot when the thermostat first cracks open and that should be 190F +/- 2F.

Or you can stay in this thread and blather on about a thermostat that has not been manufactured since the late 90s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #33
KSabo
KSabo is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Never replaced the t-stat? Replace it. You're describing the same symptoms and you won't know until you remove it to see if the rubber seal disintegrated the way others showed theirs.
Symptoms are the same.... so will do. Just ordered the thermostat. Gracias.

Black 2002 SC2 manual 1.9L DOHC - 210,000 miles (July 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KSabo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KSabo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KSabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:43 AM   #34
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Yep, that's the marking one my old one, with "Germany" on the locking tab.

More curiosity: in the pictures posted the t-stats look so nice and shiny-clean, is that because of glare from the camera flash, or does everybody else scrub their old ones clean? Mine is tarnished, like it has been in engine coolant for 20 years...
Mine bit the dust at about 13 years old, but was not cleaned up before the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
Coolant won't change the fact that if you put in a warmer thermostat, it will run warmer. That photo of the unit you took out sure looks like one of the original type units. It's not a huge difference in temp, but enough to notice.

There is a chart floating around that was made with a sampling rate of one, claiming correct temps. You can use that as a guide in the realization that hotter temps are hotter, and not all gauges will read the same.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote