SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #21
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Default Re: Yup, my '93 Saturn Sc1 is up for sale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Well, now I don't have to go find that section in the FSM again. One of the things that makes for twitchy closed throttle operation is a pressure regulator that has failed and is leaking through. From experience rebuilding did not fix it. Fuel pressure test might be in order as well.
Yup, Did the Fuel Pressure test with the old Fuel Pump, came out good. Then (because I already purchased the Fuel pump and strainer) replaced the Fuel pump, strainer and Fuel Level Sensor, and the Fuel Filter..... same issue.

Went through the vacuum lines one by one
New Map Sensor, twice
Purchased a new EGR Valve
Picked up a replacement EGR Valve from the Salvage Yard
Replaced the EGR Valve vacuum controller, twice
Replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, twice
Replaced the Fuel Injector
Rebuilt the Original Throttle Body (Now I have two additional Throttle Bodies, which can be rebuilt as well, from the Salvage Yard)
Picked up Intake and Exhaust gaskets
Pulled the Intake plenum, cleaned it, checked for any obvious leaks - none
Replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, twice
Replaced the Air Intake Sensor, twice
Replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor
Checked the wiring from each sensor to the computer - checked ok
Replaced the Computer - did the same thing

Ya know, I don't think I did a dance in the driveway around some chicken bones.....maybe that would do it....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You know the history of TBI injection don't you? They did not win any prises for user nice. Might want to just clean up a JY pick and see if it works as is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

common now, price has been reduced. I need tires for my other car....

$2600, that's a steal with all the parts and work put in this car....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #24
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I have a 94 TBI that you can have for the shipping cost. Was a spare for our long sold 94 SL1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TvSteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TvSteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #25
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
common now, price has been reduced. I need tires for my other car....

$2600, that's a steal with all the parts and work put in this car....
If I had an extra space in my garage and a couple thousand bucks to spare, trust me I definitely would.

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #26
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Gone.....

to a dealership that may just end up scrapping it....

if we peons had the ability to edit our threads, I'd put this up on the first post....but, we are not to be trusted with ourselves.

Dealer gave me 4k for the car. I'm happy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #27
Dennyj1992
Dennyj1992 has a spectacular aura aboutDennyj1992 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

So will you be buying another Saturn then?

Or at least lingering around the forums?

13' Chevy Spark, 4 speed CVT. Wife's car. 67k.
02' SC2, DOHC, 5 speed M/T. Current DD. 232k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dennyj1992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dennyj1992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dennyj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #28
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennyj1992 View Post
So will you be buying another Saturn then?

Or at least lingering around the forums?
lol....yeah, I'll be getting another Saturn..... I don't think so. While it's been interesting, and a great learning experience, I won't be going back to the Saturn.

However, I will be posting up my manuals for sale to those who may want to delve into their cars with a little more foreknowledge at their fingertips.

I may pull some other parts off the car as well, spark plug wires, etc. Maybe somebody here will be interested in the parts...maybe. Then again, maybe it's just not worth the time to box up items and ship them to other Saturn enthusiasts....

My account will stay active, should anybody have questions about my past work....as long as Charlie doesn't close it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #29
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Gone.....
to a dealership that may just end up scrapping it... Dealer gave me 4k for the car. I'm happy.
I was just wondering about your car this morning (random thoughts that pop into my head at odd moments ).

Wait, so a dealer paid $4,000 for your car just to scrap it? Was this a trade-in? That's the only way that makes sense to me. Heck, I'd hand over both my Saturns for $4k

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #30
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I was just wondering about your car this morning (random thoughts that pop into my head at odd moments ).

Wait, so a dealer paid $4,000 for your car just to scrap it? Was this a trade-in? That's the only way that makes sense to me. Heck, I'd hand over both my Saturns for $4k
I've been looking for a Tacoma T|X Pro for a while, and I came across one at a close NM dealer. I called to ask the price and that's when I learned that they had the "IF YOU CAN PUSH IT, PULL IT OR TOW IT IN, WE'LL GIVE YOU 3 THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR YOUR TRADE!"......you, know, always yelling at you like it's the greatest deal on the planet. since I have a 97 Saturn that barely runs, and the 93, I figured I'd press them to see if they would really deal to sell the truck. After some back and forth, they agreed to give me $4500 for both Saturns. I'm towing the 97 down to them, and driving the 93 to them with all of the spare parts. Im going to talk to the used car sales manager and try to impress upon them that this 93 should go to one of their Mechanics, hopefully the Mechanic that is making the least amount of money. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'll go talk to the service department and find out which Mechanic needs a good running car. Then I'll talk to them directly about this incoming car, that they need to get their hands on. I'm sure a Mechanic can appreciate the amount of work and parts that have gone into the car. So, $4500 for both Saturns, that was a deal I could not pass up. Literally, the 97 is worth $500, which is salvage rate. I paid $750 for it with the intention of rebuilding the DOHC engine, then swapping all of the fitting parts from the 93 onto the 97. But that requires a lot more time in the garage. My wife was sick of seeing me in the garage, so she suggested I unload em both......

Currently I'm commuting in my wife's 2001 corolla, which we purchased for $300. The engine locked up due to oil starvation. So, I rebuilt it and now I'm pulling in 34MPG on my commute. PLUS, it has more power than the DOHC saturn, and tows my trailer just as easy.

So, I came out ahead in the deal. I happy with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Good deal! <thumbs up>

Yeah, that '93 is a good runner, should go to someone that needs a car and will maintain it.

I occasionally get tempted by "push, pull or drag it in" trade offers, but I'm really enjoying not having payments and carrying minimal insurance. Going on year 6 of driving the SL2, and I've done minimal work on this thing.

Not including gas and oil, but including purchase price, taxes, plugs and wires, filters, etc., I'm probably less than $400 a year into this car

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #32
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Yeah... I was liking the no payments thing too. however, during a trip to Silverton, Colorado the 93 was really struggling to pull my trailer with my bike and camping gear. I had to really watch the temp gauge on the long mountain climbs. Getting a truck is something we could really use in our household.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #33
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Yeah... I was liking the no payments thing too. however, during a trip to Silverton, Colorado the 93 was really struggling to pull my trailer with my bike and camping gear. I had to really watch the temp gauge on the long mountain climbs. Getting a truck is something we could really use in our household.

With you in it, plus your family? Plus 600+lbs trailer + stuff, lol I'd imagine it was sweating.

Something of this sort :

On a side note, I envy your mechanical skill and comfort in taking apart that motor and tranny, and wish I had the know-how to do such a thing to my 95' and really freshen her up.

Last edited by SuperGreen; 04-24-2015 at 02:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #34
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreen View Post
...On a side note, I envy your mechanical skill and comfort in taking apart that motor and tranny, and wish I had the know-how to do such a thing to my 95' and really freshen her up.
Become a dirt bike rider. Learn you will. A mechanic you will be.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #35
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreen View Post
On a side note, I envy your mechanical skill and comfort in taking apart that motor and tranny, and wish I had the know-how to do such a thing to my 95' and really freshen her up.

Thanks.

The best thing I can say about it is to research it, and just do it. Research, research it more, then watch videos on it, then do it. Of course having a FSM helps tremendously, but once you get into it, it's not that bad.

On another note, I've picked up a really nice 2012 T|X Pro TRD Tacoma. It's a really nice truck. I've got a few enhancements to make, such as a stronger tailgate, and a tailgate lock, and a mild lift, but....I'm loving it thus far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #36
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Become a dirt bike rider. Learn you will. A mechanic you will be.
Speaking of dirt bike rider.....

I rode SingleTrack on Saturday with some really fast guys.....it was great chasing them, as this forces me to stretch my skills more and makes me a little better each time we get out there. Then on Sunday I went out again with another guy to a different area. With a little bit of snow and mud on the ground, it was a little more than slick. Having mud stick to your tires, and then trying to climb rocks....that is challenging.

I'm currently researching on how to properly change the springs in my forks. I know the basics, and I've collected the proper tools, but I want to be sure that I have the proper amount of fluid as well. Since I'm a little heavier than a 140lb kid, I'm moving up to some heavy duty springs. Plus, carrying 5.3 gallons of fuel puts more weight on the front end when Dual-sporting....

Yesterday and today I'm struggling to walk, as my entire body is really sore. It is at this moment that I realize that I'm not 17 any more.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #37
buddy1234
buddy1234 is on a distinguished road

Is the car still available?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buddy1234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buddy1234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buddy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote