SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default What mystery compound do you fill Dog bones with

So I've purchased decent aftermarket Dog bones (DEA)...

...I know I know...OEM or bust... whatever. They need to be replaced and Its proven too difficult and costly to purchase OEM ( I've already replaced the TAM with a genuine GM mount and it set me back 75 bucks and I'm trying to replace all mounts without breaking the bank)

ANYWAY... I've heard of fine results with these mounts as long as you fill the remaining gaps in the rubber with a Polyurethane material. What is said material, and what particular hardness is required/best to use.

Thanks for the input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: What mystery compound do you fill Dog bones with

Looks like McMasterCArr and 3M have 2-part polyurethanes.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

What's the mystery? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTHANE-TOR...-/271833842431

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

I paid 30 for both mounts, not going to spend close to 40 on inserts, I'm not road racing, just want the motor/acceleration feeling better than it does now ( most definitely ****ty dog bones).

I think doing a solid job at filling these will suffice, they seem to be decently built.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tremco-10...-202267308-_-N

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

THat's a one part sealant made to be flexible- you want it stiff.

Windows/doors, yes, dogbones, doubtful.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

SuperGreen--no 1997-2002 OEM dogbones at the junkyards near you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
SuperGreen--no 1997-2002 OEM dogbones at the junkyards near you?
honestly dude I have such little time outside work, and ****. My mounts are bad, my motor moves a decent amount when going over the mutliple speed bumps at my apartment complex ( at very slow speed) and when accelerating,shifting,stopping. To set aside the time to go to the junkyard, remove the necessary parts, and then have the time to install them, would be too long of a process, I ordered the DEA ones on amazon for $30 bucks shipped (for 2x) and i'm going to replace them today after work with the couple hours of daylight left after 5pm.

I'm going to drive easy on the car, I don't road race or dump on it, every so often I drive it spirited, but I can't afford repairs so I drive her easy. I don't see these being an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

They will be fine for short term. I have Anchor dogbones on my car currently. The poly inserts I put in my OEM dogbones resulted in too much vibration for me to be comfortable with even with a new OEM trans and engine mount (these are now in a box on a shelf).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGreen View Post
honestly dude I have such little time outside work, and ****. My mounts are bad, my motor moves a decent amount when going over the mutliple speed bumps at my apartment complex (at very slow speed) and when accelerating, shifting, stopping. To set aside the time to go to the junkyard, remove the necessary parts, and then have the time to install them, would be too long of a process, I ordered the DEA ones on amazon for $30 bucks shipped (for 2x) and I'm going to replace them today after work with the couple hours of daylight left after 5pm.
It's your decision, of course, but if you later find reason to revisit it, I think you could easily be in and out of a junkyard with a pair of serviceable OEM dogbones within an hour. My last visit to a junkyard took about two hours and I was pulling battery straps and an IATS connector as well as the dogbone. My skill level working on these cars is such that thermostat jobs other people describe as taking "20 minutes" take me about three hours.

Good luck getting the new dogbones installed. I personally wouldn't bother with trying to fill the webbing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

what is used is windshield-urethane.. get it at most parts stores, spray good to clean with carb or brake clean,let dry, fill em up and let cure for 3 days.. did the ones on my Neon..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
So I've purchased decent aftermarket Dog bones (DEA)...

...I know I know...OEM or bust... whatever. They need to be replaced and Its proven too difficult and costly to purchase OEM ( I've already replaced the TAM with a genuine GM mount and it set me back 75 bucks and I'm trying to replace all mounts without breaking the bank)

ANYWAY... I've heard of fine results with these mounts as long as you fill the remaining gaps in the rubber with a Polyurethane material. What is said material, and what particular hardness is required/best to use.

Thanks for the input.

3M Window Weld is one of the common things used. 55-60 durometer.

Marine Adhesive 5200 (also 3M) I think it falls in the 65-70 hardness durometer rating. Probably higher sheer strength than the Window Weld stuff.

Sticky stuff, use with gloves and have clean up stuff on hand. Neither is cheap, but they work. And don't put the 5200 on anything you want to remove it from. You have been warned!

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #13
Zephy
Zephy is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Not to give you any crappy ideas, but some of the older fashioned guys in the racing community here make their own bushings out of hockey pucks. They're cheap and made of a very hard polyurethane. I haven't tried it myself though, so if you're gonna try it lets just pretend you thought it up on your own

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zephy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zephy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
Not to give you any crappy ideas, but some of the older fashioned guys in the racing community here make their own bushings out of hockey pucks. They're cheap and made of a very hard polyurethane. I haven't tried it myself though, so if you're gonna try it lets just pretend you thought it up on your own

That's a darn smart idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #15
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
I've read about guys on the Infiniti G20 forum doing this as well. Also, have not tried myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #16
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Seems like a hockey puck wouldn't be far from a solid mount. Then again, anything that hits you in the shin at high speeds often feels solid.

I've seen other forums where people are rebuilding different mounts using the various types of urethanes and such. Really it's probably reasonably cheap compared to buying new mounts, but you have to find the right stuff to use for each application.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
SuperGreen

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Seems like a hockey puck wouldn't be far from a solid mount. Then again, anything that hits you in the shin at high speeds often feels solid.

I've seen other forums where people are rebuilding different mounts using the various types of urethanes and such. Really it's probably reasonably cheap compared to buying new mounts, but you have to find the right stuff to use for each application.
I have my original first generation solid aluminum mount, I wonder if I could remove the original rubber and bolt pass through, cut out a fill with a hockey puck on a band saw, and drill out a hole for the metal sleeve for the bolt, lol would be so ghetto, but those original mounts are beefy as **** compared to these aftermarket mumbo jumbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #18
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
I have my original first generation solid aluminum mount, I wonder if I could remove the original rubber and bolt pass through, cut out a fill with a hockey puck on a band saw, and drill out a hole for the metal sleeve for the bolt, lol would be so ghetto, but those original mounts are beefy as **** compared to these aftermarket mumbo jumbo
First gen aluminum mounts were changed for a reason... brittle if I remember right.

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote