SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Used BCM-Bad or Good Idea?

So, we are still scratching our heads with my car.. Still no start and we've gone over the engine/transmission with a fine tooth comb

I need the car gone ASAP, so now I am to the point of throwing **** at it until its fixed... (literally and figuritivly).. Absolutley no one will work on it here EXCEPT 1 dealership and they flat out told me that no Vue repair comes in under $800... SO, I have to try and do this my self

I do have a dealer wiling to try and replace my BCM, which i am gonna start with.. I found a used one on ebay for $70 (below is the link)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161069160656...84.m1439.l2649

IS this the BCM? It says Aisin on it... Can a used bcm be put in and the miles put to the correct spec??

I am so frustrated.. Never had I had a car that couldn't be fixed
I can't even trade it in, sell it or anything.. I can't just junk it... Goodwill and 2 other car donation programs won't even take it

I liked this car when it ran... But.. F%^&*... I wanna strangle GM..

Until this is fixed you may see a couple more pitty posts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travlincub321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Used BCM-Bad or Good Idea?

I am sure I bought the wrong thing... But the dealer can't order them and the other dealer quoted me $1300 to replace it.. Not gonna happen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlincub321 View Post
I am sure I bought the wrong thing... But the dealer can't order them and the other dealer quoted me $1300 to replace it.. Not gonna happen
Have you called these guys?
http://www.autocomputerecm.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

I noticed in another thread you were looking at the "CPS".
Was this the 'Cam' or 'Crank' sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If the pix was correct for part offered its a 3.0 transmission control module (TCM), which works with ECM and auto-trans for gear changes but has no BCM functions.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 08-09-2013 at 10:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
travlincub321

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I noticed in another thread you were looking at the "CPS".
Was this the 'Cam' or 'Crank' sensor?
Crank Sensor.. Ill give those guys a call and I need to double check.. Ughh.. Frustration with a car leads to isses

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Crank Sensor.. Ill give those guys a call and I need to double check.. Ughh.. Frustration with a car leads to isses
A test for proper CKP (crank sensor) on many vehicles is to observe tachometer while cranking (starting) engine - you normally expect to see around 200 RPM if the CKP has proper output.

I can't confirm this is true for the 3.0 (don't have) but perhaps someone can.

In short - if you see significant tach movement you could probably remove CKP from suspect list.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Bryanyoung88
Bryanyoung88 is on a distinguished road

I did the BCM in my 02 Vue not to long ago.n The part alone was about $500 and not to hard to replace. It is just behind the temp controls in the dash. The problem i ran into is that i still had to pay someone $75 to program it. I think it maight be able to be done with a TECH 2...but dont quote me on that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bryanyoung88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bryanyoung88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bryanyoung88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
madmtnmotors
madmtnmotors is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanyoung88 View Post
I did the BCM in my 02 Vue not to long ago.n The part alone was about $500 and not to hard to replace. It is just behind the temp controls in the dash. The problem i ran into is that i still had to pay someone $75 to program it. I think it maight be able to be done with a TECH 2...but dont quote me on that.
Just had the BCM replaced on my 02' Vue. All the classic symptoms: security alarm would trigger randomly, security system would not respond to the key fobs, got to the point where the car would not start, and actually got a BCM diagnostic code at one point. I could disconnect and remove the BCM, pop open the case, wave the board around in the shade for a few minutes (gets hot here in Florida), plug it back in and the car would start. Now this could be a result of poor or broken solder connections on the board and the act of disconnecting then reconnecting might have been enough to re-establish continuity across the compromised connection(s), so waving the board around in the shade to "cool it off" might have been just for fun. The BCM in the 02' Vue is located behind the heater controls above the center console. The BCM housing "snaps" into place with the most inaccessible tabs I have ever seen. I would free one side, then when the other side popped free the first tab snapped back into place! I worked this back and forth for about twenty minutes... freeing one side only to have the other snap back, to the point that I was on the verge of breaking something. Once freed from its perch, I just left it loose (along with the corresponding trim/dash panels) so removal/reinstall was a snap (literally). Debated about the reconditioning service on Ebay, considered trying a used BCM, thought about wiring a "hot" bypass to the fuel pump (since car would fire on first crank but then sputter and die) because a failed BCM will not pass the "all clear" to the ECM to start the fuel pump.

Since a used BCM might not be in much better condition than the one I already had, and due to the mixed reviews I was seeing about the reconditioning of your existing BCM, I finally settled on purchasing a new BCM from the dealer ($400), which then requires paying them another $100 to program it. And it comes with two new key fobs! Oooooo.....

Now they made it very clear that since this was "Self-diagnosed" that there would be no warranty since they were not the one performing the diagnosis. This really didn't sit well with me, especially for a $500 repair! I didn't have $500 to spend, let alone another $500 for them to tell me what I already knew, so I threw caution to the wind (flashing computer code can go wrong, even with good parts), bought the part, scheduled the service (programming), arranged for the service department to pick up the part from the parts department (part does me no good unless it's programmed), dropped off the car, watched TV in the dealer lounge for about an hour, and the Vue is roadworthy again. Even let them off the hook and told them not to bother putting the dash back together, since I took it apart, I would put it back together. Everything was loose so all they had to do was read/unplug the old, plug in and program the new. Not very happy about the proprietary nature (and expense) of these critical control components. The fact that a private shop cannot perform these repairs will make me look more closely at ALL control systems on my next car PRIOR to purchase. Between the BCM, ECM, PCM, and TCM makes for FOUR proprietary control computers on the Vue, not one of which can be used to surf the internet!

The 02' 3.0L V6 AWD Vue is a freak of mechanical (computational?) nature, but runs like a scalded dog (when the computers can be bothered to tell it to do so) and I've always been happy with the way it runs, just wish they weren't so compelled to try and "monopolize" the repair and service process.

Are you listening GM?

And while we're on the subject of repairs... the drivers side rear door electric locking mechanism has failed. According to the local GM dealer this part is no longer available (it is part of the latch and requires replacing the entire latch inside the door).

Thank you for your continued support there GM....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madmtnmotors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madmtnmotors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madmtnmotors is offline   Reply With Quote