SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
3Saturnguy
3Saturnguy is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Oil Filter Cap stuck on 2002 L300

What is the best tool to remove a stuck/stripped oil filter cap on a 2002 Saturn L300?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3Saturnguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3Saturnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3Saturnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oil Filter Cap stuck on 2002 L300

Welcome to Saturnfans!

Search past threads..........................

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
3Saturnguy

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I did. I'll try it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 3Saturnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Large vise grips if necessary. You'll come across quite a few posts about 'gorillas' . Be prepared to buy a replacement cap.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Large vise grips if necessary. You'll come across quite a few posts about 'gorillas' . Be prepared to buy a replacement cap.
"oil changer" was a sure gorilla in my situation

took me a ratcheting socket wrench (those ones that look like spanners but the end ratchets, and a mallet to break the oil plug free.

for the filter cap like you said i used a large vice grips to grab a hold of the plastic nut on the top and twist it off, when re installing i did it hand tight with a little turn of the vice

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
3Saturnguy

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Awesome, thanks guys. I have a new cap already due to not being able to get the old one off. It being stripped I'm sure as heck not gonna put it back on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
3Saturnguy

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I know it's been a while, but I just got around to getting the old, stripped one off. Wow was that a job and a half! I had to drill a couple of holes through the old one and hammer a hole in it, then put a wrench inside the hole and use a hammer to bang the wrench to unscrew the filter cap. Holy hell was the filter dirty and messed up. It didn't even look like a filter at all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You da' man!

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

If you saved the Filter... I'm sure there'd be some Nerds here (me) that'd like to see what it looks like. Not to mention if you happened to monitor your vehicle's Oil use/condition and even performed or sent the Oil in for testing...

A lot of valuable info. to be had here.

With that said... My 2003 ION's Cap (which I assume is still original... not sure about the O-Ring... but the Cap is still an "old" (Pre-2004) Style.)... and I've noticed some leakage around that area... So it's due time I splurge for a new Cap/Filter combo. Will take extra care not to strip it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
dondono63
dondono63 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had this same problem on my 2003 l300 a few months ago. The one time I didn't do the oil change my mechanic must have had Tony Atlas tighten the cap down.

I ended up having to remove the exhaust pipe that runs past the oil filter cap. If I recall correctly it goes from the manifold to the large catalyctic converter and it has a pup catalyctic converter with an O2 sensor. I just let it hang there on a block of wood rather than risk trying to remove the sensor.

Removing that exhaust pipe allowed me get a good grip on the outside diameter of the cap with a medium size pipe wrench and turn it to the right. To my suprise I was able to loosen the cap without turning the oil filter housing. Getting the bolts to loosen on the exhaust pipe was very easy with WD40 and a little patience.

BTW, I drove close 20,000 miles on the same oil filter an let me tell you it was ready to disintergrate

Don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dondono63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dondono63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dondono63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondono63 View Post
BTW, I drove close 20,000 miles on the same oil filter an let me tell you it was ready to disintergrate

Don
You mean to say it hadn't already? What brand/type of filter did you use? Myself, I was going to ask my Dealership to check the condition of my Filter (AC Delco) this morning when they did my Oil/Filter (plus a new Cap) today.

It'd probably only been in the OLM range of 6K-9K but it'd be nice to know how well (bad) your filter looked. I assumed it'd puffed up rather badly with sediment/insoluble debris...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Went 10,000 on last oil filter due to gorillas over-tightening the cap a couple of oil changes ago. Lube Stop did a free oil change for me as they said they could not get it off, so the last 4,000 miles were on them. I have been using full synthetic, btw. Even so, the filter was pretty gunky when I got it off Easter morning, first nice day I've had available.

The housing wanted to spin, so I used a strap wrench to apply counter-torque and removal was not difficult. Tightened the socket bolt holding the filter housing to the block with a 12mm hex key and all was well again.

I think the gorillas may be confused by the torques spec of 25nm. My 1/2" torque wrench is graduated in deca nm, so 25 equates to about 80 foot pounds.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
64waves
64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just cracked my housing a couple months ago due to over tightening. I had a spare housing and cap available. Grabbed a couple from the junk yard to have on hand. Have a box of things just in case. Coil packs, switches, visors, side mirrors. So cheap from the junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 64waves's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 64waves reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
64waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The best was when the shop that did my oil change and over tightened had to call a neighboring shop to tell them how to remove it. What a joke that place was! I had free oil changes for life for doing some computer repairs, I guess it was good until I realized how stupid they were.

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote