SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Whats a good tire to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
That was $200 for 4 tires well spent?? What type Falkens do you have?
Around here it's about $160 per tire!
Details from the link:
Quote:
Just got a fresh set of Falken Sincera SN-828 (185/65/15, 60k mile warranty) for $205 installed, after the rebate
free lifetime spin-balancing and rotation
It was $305 before the $100 rebate, which I was able to apply for online and received quickly. Now, all the rebates look like prepaid cards rather than a check

Currently, it's 4 tires @ $264 as their "out the door" price if you don't get the warranty
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...FetDMgodIWgAsg but from what I've seen, they'll do a $100 rebate about once a year on any set of 4 tires... though it also looks like they might bump prices slightly before they do that

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Roll Eyes Re: Whats a good tire to buy?

Quote:
That is what my sister has, two Good Year Viva's from Wal Mart.
My condolences.

Never again for me. I have never had another set of tires (including semi-bald ones) that would skid so easily even on dry pavement, much less wet pavement. They won't even stay properly balanced for more than 1500-2000 miles. As they are on my commuter car I have to re-balance them every few weeks. I'll put up with them until they wear out which will be by next summer at the rate they are going, and then I will bid them (and probably their maker as well) goodbye forever.

My experiences with Pirelli tires have been exactly the opposite, they grip like glue, but don't last long at all. That is sort of to be expected of course. Michelins are somewhere in between. If you want maximum dry pavement performance, get Pirellis (at least that's been my experience). I had them on my 911 and wore through two sets of them on the beemer before putting the Pilots on it (wonderful tires!).

BTW, I do not drive like a maniac, take 90mph corners, do weekend slaloms, full throttle accels and burnouts or lockup braking (except for accident avoidance of course), etcetera. But I definitely do recognize and appreciate the feel and handling of good tires and the differences they can make to almost any car.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
QCubed
QCubed is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Packrat1,

I have always had great service and advice from my local Goodyear/Fountain Tire store. A few years ago the owner there reccomended Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds for my wife's van for all weather, year-round use. Even so, I did a lot of research before having them put on the van. I have been so impressed by them that I now have the van, my car, and dad's car all running on the Tripletreds. They give me confident handling in all weather/road condition combinations and may be the best wet traction tires out there. And a 120,000 km warranty to boot. They aren't cheap, but I strongly recommend them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QCubed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QCubed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
termite
termite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

I recently put on Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread All Season tires. The tread design has changed since I got Triple tread tires 7 years ago.

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #25
SkippyThorson
SkippyThorson is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
I've always been a fan of the BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. Can't comment on the impact on mpg's but I do know they are fantastic in wet/snow

Highmile
'95 SL1 1/2 million miles and counting
Completely agree! I love these tires, and I am most certainly putting them on the car for Winter. Not to mention, I love that Goodrich makes a nice clean looking sidewall. Good looking tire, but even better handling. I love them - I'm most excited to have a Saturn again so that I can get back on these tires.

Are they Winter tires? No. Do they handle well in the Winter? Haven't had a problem with them. Of course, never got stuck on any tire, but these have fantastic grip in any weather. BF Goodrich Traction T/As all the way!

02 SL1 - Blue, 134K - 5/17 - FOR SALE*
02 SL1 - Blue, 70K, bought new, accident
02 SL --- Blue, parts car, sold
95 SL2 - Gold, 163K, sold
*saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2243080

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkippyThorson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkippyThorson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SkippyThorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Toyo to help you drive like a maniac

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Tires are getting thin on my car and the road noise is driving me nuts. Anyone know of a good replacement? I'm currently running firestone firehawk ......
Funny you should say firehawk and noise.
My firehawks double as a sort of a deer whistle to warn of my approach - They also work on joggers, bike riders and people working in their front yard.

I think those tires are horrible unless your suspension geometry is perfect...and no way is an alignment shop going to get it that close.
(if your car squirms on longitudinally saw-cut pavement, alignment ain't perfect)

After much suspension messing, I believe the funky wear was mostly my fault, but not entirely my fault. eg.: they weren't round to start with.

My next tires will have a more forgiving tread.

Reading and learning...<animated eating popcorn icon>

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
schan2464
schan2464 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Anyone try low rolling resistance tires? They cost more, but wonder if they improve MPG enough to justify the premium.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schan2464's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schan2464 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schan2464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan2464 View Post
Anyone try low rolling resistance tires? They cost more, but wonder if they improve MPG enough to justify the premium.
I would not touch them on a bet. Gotta be like driving on bowling balls

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
Packrat1
Packrat1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Would have to agree on Michelin. I put the Michelin X on daughter's 2002 SL and it's quiet and handles winter well. Another that has been very good and lasts forever are General Altimax HP. Silly me I went for the quieter smoother Pirelli P4 and it's just OK. Not a good match for Saturn because it's only got one one circumferential groove and larger ones have 2. They NEED 2. I did have them siped and it helped a lot but they are still not in the league of Michelin Xones from Sam's or the Altimax HP.
BTW for reference my tires stay at or very near stock pressures. In winter I run about 2 psi over.
You know your tires sir. I've been reviewing tires all week. Looking at customer reviews and prices online at walmart, sams club, farm and fleet, etc. The only 2 tires that still have my attention are General Atimax HP and Michelin MXV4. Oddly enough, I saw a tire comparison somewhere showing a better snow traction rating for the mxv4.

1995 Saturn SW2 5speed (retired @ 350,412 miles)

2001 Saturn SW2 (work in progress)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packrat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan2464 View Post
The few reviews I've seen here were negative, based primarily on felt handling characteristics. Don't recall if it helped mpg or not... consensus was, "my life isn't worth the extra mpg"

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
jhall02sc2
jhall02sc2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

I am running 195/65/15 bfgoodrich g-force super sport tires, handles amazingly on dry or wet payment, idk on snow yet. The life of the tires last awhile, if easy on the take offs ,as its easy to roast, but around Sharp fast curves i've only got loose once in the rear at 45 around a 15mph curve. At a 130mph they still feel well planted! i paid 120 a tire and has been the best between The ****ty ass goodyear viva "never gets these" and the set of Cooper sport, which lasted the longest and still handled dry /wet ,not so much the snow but still did ok. I will probably stay with the bfgoodrich gforce ss tires for they have been the best tires i've ever owned on any of my vehicles, not the cheapest but for that someone who likes curves more then the straights there perfect!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhall02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhall02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhall02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #33
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Glad we reached a consensus on another tire thread. Could someone post the formula to show the cost/benefit ratio for each tire?

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

best bang for the buck.....falken ziex912

i have a set on my toy...and just bought another set for my sw2

#1 consumer reports tire

92 SL2 A/T white
93 SL1 man burgundy
93 SL2 A/T turquoise
94 SL1 man medium blue
94 SL2 A/T gold
95 SW2 A/T white (daily driver)
97 SL2 A/T gold
99 SW1 A/T green
95 SW2 man gold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #35
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

i wont ever buy anything other than toyo tires new screw em all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #36
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptnjack View Post
best bang for the buck.....falken ziex912

i have a set on my toy...and just bought another set for my sw2

#1 consumer reports tire
Bought a set of these a couple of months ago, and they were the price leader at that time.

Good tires, with very nice ride, handling, noise. Wet performance is funny in that they will slip on takeoff but stop well. Ratings for wet performance are no worse than for other similar tires. I would definitely buy again.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #37
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

i have to agree on the BFG's i have them on both my SL2's. they r quiet, nice ride and the handling aint bad, plus as is stated above they are a good looking tire as well. got them at BJ's all 4 were like $330 with mounting and balancing. but for the last few years my tires dry rot before they wear out.

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #38
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

The best thing I ever did, EVER! - was to buy one of these tire plugger kits 13 years ago for less than ten bucks. I have plugged at least 4 nail holes in the family tires since then and I have 2 (still gooey) rope plugs left before I need to look for refills.

.....................................That's my tire advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TirePlugger.jpg (120.2 KB, 7 views)

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #39
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

You know it is against federal law to use those on road use don't you?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Got a citation for that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote