SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Dealer Tranny Flush & Fill...

OK I have a 2004 Vue 3.5L V6 with 75K on it. As has been beaten to death by just about everyone I wanted to get a Flush and Fill with the GM/Saturn ATF-Z1. So I went to my local dealer, Saturn of Hurst, even though I usually do maintenance myself. I figured I need to get my A/C fixed while I still had warranty so... Everything looked great. As soon I arrived I popped the hood to make sure the tranny fluid "looked" new (I am always paranoid about people screwing me.). I then went home. At home I started looking over the invoice and noticed that under the Transmission Flush & Fill that it said Dexron I N. At first I thought maybe this was GM's coding for there ATF-Z1. So the today I call up the dealer and get one of the Reps. He pulled up my invoice in the computer and said if the computer said Dexron then they put Dexron III. I told him that the Honda Tranny in the 04 Vue should have ATF-Z1 and the Dexron will mess up the tranny. He then said he would have his Manager call me.
So about an hour later I get a call from the Manager who says that he checked into this and that anytime they put a Trans Flush & Fill it adds the Dexron wording at the botton. They were working on getting that changed in the system. But rest assured they put the Honda ATF-Z1 in my Vue. He then went into how he was a Honda tech for over 15 years and he knows what Dexron would do to my tranny. Blah Blah Blah....
In the end I have to take there word on it. I have no real way of knowing what they really put in my tranny do I? Should I just go buy the ATF-Z1 from honda and have NTB do the flush again? God I hate dealers!

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04SilverVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
original007
original007 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Dealer Tranny Flush & Fill...

They have packages set up on the computer that sort of generalizes the services from a labor stand point. It really is up to the tech and parts guy to makes sure they have the correct fluid which I'm sure they do. Its one of those things you make sure of, they do not want to buy you a new trans. Just a vote of confidence from your hated dealer tech. By the way I'm sure NTB knows way more about your Saturn then the guy who works only on that brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to original007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help original007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
original007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

You are definitely right about the dealer knowing more but I can watch the guy at NTB. They will let me stand next to the car and watch everything he does so I know he did the correct job. But I just hate not knowing. My extended warranty ends in 2K miles so I don't want to come out of pocket for a new tranny because the dealer put the wrong fluid in.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04SilverVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SilverVue View Post
...I don't want to come out of pocket for a new tranny because the dealer put the wrong fluid in.
Then don't throw away the receipt. If you do have trans problems, it will show up pretty quick. The receipt is your protection in that instance (that and a snifter of the fluid they put in for lab analysis should it come to that).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

I would say cross reference the fluid part number they used for the flush and fill with another dealer and see what it comes up with in the computer. If the # on the oil bottle is listed as Dexron III in the computer then it's likely Dexron III and not Z1. I hate stealerships!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
I would say cross reference the fluid part number they used for the flush and fill with another dealer and see what it comes up with in the computer. If the # on the oil bottle is listed as Dexron III in the computer then it's likely Dexron III and not Z1. I hate stealerships!
Very good idea... Just call up the parts dept @ Saturn of Hurst and ask for "part # ...." and then ask the guy what comes up for that part... If it comes up Dexron, then you've probably got a case, pardon the pun.

I'm always leery of anyone touching my cars too. My wife had the maint. plan on her SL2 and I always verified that 1) the oil cap was on, 2) the filter was on, and 3) the oil looked clean when I picked up the car.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Could be that the manager was being straight with you about "the system" just not showing the correct fluid in the service description. Could also be that they screwed up. This is why I just don't let the dealer touch my car unless there is some non-trivial warranty issue to deal with. If I do the service, at least I KNOW it was done correctly and with the fluids/parts that I want.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote