SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Autozone Parts??

I was looking to do some maintenece to my 97 SL2. Don't have a Saturn dealer to close or the time to get to one. They have the ECTS and PCV valve in stock. I had read that it is best to only use real Saturn parts. Is this true? Should I not use Autozone parts? Why?

Here are the parts:
http://www.autozone.com/R,1128887/ve...ductDetail.htm

http://www.autozone.com/R,2365688/ve...ductDetail.htm

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04SilverVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Autozone Parts??

Past experience by a lot of very senior forum members that have probably forgotten more about Saturns than I will ever learn.

Order them from saturnparts.com or saturnparts.net They only sell OEM parts.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Aftermarket PCV Valves (Bosch especially) get clogged up real fast. I know from experience. Spend the $7 for the PCV Valve and $15 for the ECTS from an online Retailer.

Some parts that are aftermarket are prone to failing too soon. Best to pay the money for the OEM part and be done with it until it needs replacing again.

Especially with the ECTS.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The ECTS from Autozone is usually okay. If they can get you the AC Delco PCV that should be okay. That's what I got from the dealer.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

I never really understood saying that aftermarket parts are not as good as OEM parts when most of the time the same companies make both. I mean I know certain companies make cheaper stuff than other but...
Anyway I just got this car and want to get the gas mileage up alittle more. I am only getting about 26 mpg now and should definitely be higher.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
shadestalker
shadestalker is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Is that 26mpg mixed, city, highway? My '95 SL2 gets 28 consistently, mixed driving. I think you'll be lucky to get close to 30 unless it's all highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadestalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadestalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadestalker View Post
Is that 26mpg mixed, city, highway? My '95 SL2 gets 28 consistently, mixed driving. I think you'll be lucky to get close to 30 unless it's all highway.
I guess it is mixed as I drive to work and back. There are a couple of lights but it is mostly highway.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

OK I bought the parts from Autozone. The PCV valve was an exact match. Even the writing on the side of the parts matched. The old one was quite nasty. I will try to replaced the ECTS and clean the EGR later this weekend.

Another question... The hose that is S shaped that goes from the Intake tube to the engine... Can it be replaced with any tubing with the same diameter. Autozone gave me 6 inches of Goodyear black tubing but it is not preshaped in the S design. Does that matter? It fit nice and snug just like the old OEM one.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

Last edited by 04SilverVue; 08-08-2008 at 06:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
97sl2DOHCaut1.9
97sl2DOHCaut1.9 is on a distinguished road

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97sl2DOHCaut1.9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97sl2DOHCaut1.9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97sl2DOHCaut1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SilverVue View Post
OK I bought the parts from Autozone. The PCV valve was an exact match. Even the writing on the side of the parts matched. The old one was quite nasty. I will try to replaced the ECTS and clean the EGR later this weekend.

Another question... The hose that is S shaped that goes from the Intake tube to the engine... Can it be replaced with any tubing with the same diameter. Autozone gave me 6 inches of Goodyear black tubing but it is not preshaped in the S design. Does that matter? It fit nice and snug just like the old OEM one.
The PCV that was on there might not have been original. Or, you got lucky and AZ carries one made by the same company as OEM. I myself have some aftermarket PCV I picked up when my old one blew.

ECTS I would be more cautious using aftermarket.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Kal
Kal is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I rarely buy from the dealer, they are always overpriced. I shop at Autozone frequently, and never have had a problem with any of the parts they sell me. However, parts guys at those kind of stores and Checkers are always Know-it-all, and retarded. Which is pushing me more and more to buy from the dealer. But in all honesty, either or should be fine. You'd probably get better customer service at the dealer, and they'll know what they are talking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Carl26
Carl26 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2

I have been working on cars as a hobby for about 10 years and have worked as a heavy machinery maintenance mechanic for 12 years. (This doesn't make me an expert by any means). I use aftermarket parts 95% of the time and I've rarely had problems.

Yes most of the time OEM dealer parts are going to be your best bet, but don't buy parts from the dealer just because someone tells you to. Most of the time the dealer and aftermarket parts are in fact the same part made by the same company. After years of working on cars, you'll be able to spot a lower quality part. I try to avoid the parts made overseas when there is a USA made part available. I buy from NAPA just because they are nearby and I usually have good luck with their parts. Except for the EGR gasket I bought recently which had the large and small holes in the wrong locations. They were reversed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carl26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carl26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl26 View Post
Yes most of the time OEM dealer parts are going to be your best bet, but don't buy parts from the dealer just because someone tells you to. Most of the time the dealer and aftermarket parts are in fact the same part made by the same company. After years of working on cars, you'll be able to spot a lower quality part. I try to avoid the parts made overseas when there is a USA made part available. I buy from NAPA just because they are nearby and I usually have good luck with their parts. Except for the EGR gasket I bought recently which had the large and small holes in the wrong locations. They were reversed.
We were doing wheel bearings on a truck. We were just going to do one, so we picked one up at Schucks. Realized we should do the other, and we were at a NAPA, so we paid the ten bucks more for the bearing. Compared the two, exact same manufacturer and model number. Just some food for thought...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Autozone Parts??

I am running an AutoZone ECTS, IAT and my extra fan controller sensor (all the same part), with no problems at all.

I bought my PCV from the dealer if for no other reason than that they gave me a nice new connector hose and pair of molded rubber elbows with it all for only about $7.

I have had very good luck with aftermarket parts in general except do not buy a Wells brand TPS from AutoZone. It is poorly designed and built and may fail on you quickly. Mine failed just a little bit out of the warranty period (of course). Buy OEM for that part (or at least anything other than Wells).

Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
As long as it's not kinked, it'll be fine. What some people do is to get a little longer hose and loop it at the turns to avoid kinking.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #16
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I did the exact same thing as you this past weekend. The "S" shaped intake hose on my engine was showing some signs of cracking and dry rotting so I replaced it with new 11/32 reinforced hose I simply cut to length. It works fine as long as you give yourself enough length to avoid kinks at the bends, but not so much length as to be up against something that gets hot or would tend to chafe the hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohioguy98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohioguy98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
Faly RockAuto
Faly RockAuto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was looking to do some maintenece to my 97 SL2. Don't have a Saturn dealer to close or the time to get to one. They have the ECTS and PCV valve in stock. I had read that it is best to only use real Saturn parts. Is this true? Should I not use Autozone parts? Why?

Here are the parts:
http://www.autozone.com/R,1128887/ve...ductDetail.htm

http://www.autozone.com/R,2365688/ve...ductDetail.htm

In the future, check out RockAuto.com -- www.rockauto.com

We have a great selection Saturn parts! Our prices are certainly less expensive than the dealer and most likely less expensive than AutoZone (even with shipping).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Faly RockAuto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Faly RockAuto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Faly RockAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faly RockAuto View Post
In the future, check out RockAuto.com -- www.rockauto.com

We have a great selection Saturn parts! Our prices are certainly less expensive than the dealer and most likely less expensive than AutoZone (even with shipping).
Sorry, don't mean to take this thread off topic, But while I got you here, Rockauto, I do have a problem with your shipping. I recently put together a small order, some gaskets, a few bearings, sparkplugs and a radiator hose. No more than 2-3 pounds. UPS ground shipping $28.00!!!!!!! Your mutiple warehouses are fine for you but not for the customer. $48.00 order, $28.00 shipping. Not for me.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TvSteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TvSteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #19
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I backed out of about half of my Rockauto order today because at checkout it showed the items were going to be shipped from two different warehouses, at double the shipping costs. I really needed the items shipping from warehouse A, so I dumped the "might as well get 'em while I'm at it" items I had tacked onto the order that were all coming from warehouse B. Otherwise, the combined shipping charges would have made the order cost prohibitive. I'd bet Rockauto has lost quite a bit of business that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohioguy98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohioguy98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Snipew4
Snipew4 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I order from Rock Auto often, and I like them, but I always prioritize the parts I need with the multiple locations shipping cost. I adjust my orders accordingly. Some things just end up cheaper going to Autozone, NAPA, or AA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Snipew4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Snipew4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Snipew4 is offline   Reply With Quote