SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
dalejrfan71
dalejrfan71 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Dizzy Good & Bad News

The good news is that my car passed emissions testing, because I had a new catalytic converter put on. The bad news is that when I went for an oil change at a GM dealership I found out that my radiator is split on the left side and is leaking slowly & the ball joint on the drivers side front end is going south as well. How much will it cost to have both fixed as a garage?

1994 - 2008
1995 Saturn SL1
R.I.P. old girl, you will be missed
280,350 KMs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I love my Malibu !!!!!!!

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dalejrfan71's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dalejrfan71 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dalejrfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Good & Bad News

Totally depends on the labor rate at the garage (both their per-hour and what they rate the job at, since most garages don't charge real-time, but have a standard # of hours for each job, whether it takes them that long or not).

It's not that hard to replace a radiator with basic tools...

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Radiator- couple of hours. Kind of awkward but there are worse jobs on Saturns. New radiator is in the $100 range for the part.

Ball joint- couple of hours. Might be tough to get the hardware loose, depending on how rusted it all is. Cost unknown. Could get at Autozone.
A shop would probably add on an alignment. You could get away without one if you were careful.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Just replaced the radiator on my SL2. I priced the parts and for the radiator alone it is $185 at Autozone. So I had a local shop do it. Whole replacement for $310 at the shop.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04SilverVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You can get a radiator at www.rockauto.com for $80.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

^ +1 !!!!!!

I replaced my radiator thru a parts store off of ebay back in 2005 for my 94 SC1.

Total cost---$85, and about 2 hours worth of work (never had done a replacement radiator before.)

All is well!

The radiator crack is one issue on the S-series that was never perfected due to the fact that the plastic tanks on the sides were probably not the best choice for radiator construction.

Replacing is not that difficult. I would suggest that if you have an automatic; that you replace the upper/lower trans cooling lines as well that lead from the radiator into the auto trans (if your car is automatic). These can be purchased from the dealer (3 years ago each of these lines were $15-$20 a piece...preventative maintenance as you don't want old trans cooling lines feeding into a new radiator.)

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
fquan59
fquan59 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

The process of changing out a radiator isn't too painful, but it is time consuming. It took me about 4 hours to change mine out a couple of weekends ago. I can't find Richpin's video on pulling it out, but here's a link with images.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42028

1997 Saturn SL2, 5-speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fquan59's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fquan59 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fquan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
dalejrfan71

1995 SL1

Should my car be safe to drive to my brother's house? He said that he'll do the work for me.

1994 - 2008
1995 Saturn SL1
280,350 KMs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I love my Malibu !!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dalejrfan71 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
dalejrfan71

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
^ +1 !!!!!!

Replacing is not that difficult. I would suggest that if you have an automatic; that you replace the upper/lower trans cooling lines as well that lead from the radiator into the auto trans (if your car is automatic). These can be purchased from the dealer (3 years ago each of these lines were $15-$20 a piece...preventative maintenance as you don't want old trans cooling lines feeding into a new radiator.)
Thank you 2NDSOUT for mentioning the trans cooling lines, I never enev thought about it. Can you buy the cooling lines from a parts store such as NAPA?

1994 - 2008
1995 Saturn SL1
280,350 KMs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I love my Malibu !!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #10
dalejrfan71

1995 SL1

While I'm on the subject of repairs, should I have the tie rods replaced while having the ball joint replaced?

1994 - 2008
1995 Saturn SL1
280,350 KMs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I love my Malibu !!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejrfan71 View Post
Thank you 2NDSOUT for mentioning the trans cooling lines, I never enev thought about it. Can you buy the cooling lines from a parts store such as NAPA?
I don't know but for some reason I ended up getting mine at Saturn...probably because if they do sell them they would have to order them, but being it's more of a specialty part, you might have to just get them from Saturn.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

dalejrfan71 -

I think I had the same radiator crack recently :

New Radiator at 154K Miles ...
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116133

I paid $360 total, but was back on the road within 4 hours.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
I don't know if you can get them at NAPA or not. It may be best to get them from the dealer, as Saturnmaniac mentioned, I think these are more of a specialty part. Otherwise you will be rigging something up with loose hose that you have laying around and that isn't something that I would suggest.

When I removed the radiator and cooling lines from my 91 project car, the radiator supports weren't even factory (they were rigged with 10 MM nuts/bolts and washers ) and the cooling lines were just regular hosing held in with C-Clamps, It's no wonder that the car only ran "fair" when I bought it. The guy that owned it before me didn't take care of it.

Save yourself trouble down the road.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
While I'm on the subject of repairs, should I have the tie rods replaced while having the ball joint replaced?
If the inner tie rod ends are worn out, then yes. After removing the outer tie rod end you can tell if the inner is worn out also by checking it for slop the same way you checked the outer joint. They usually are in OK condition though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #15
dalejrfan71

1995 SL1

Should I have my brother check the shocks & the brakes as well?

1994 - 2008
1995 Saturn SL1
280,350 KMs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I love my Malibu !!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
valinor
valinor is on a distinguished road

I recently had my daughter's radiator replaced in her 96 SL1. It had the same problem. It was cracked on the left side. I was in a hurry so I took it to a shop that I know. The total bill was ab out $330.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to valinor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help valinor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
valinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Wow these shops are outrageous compared to what I paid...I paid $100 for the radiator and $100 for getting it installed. I could've done it myself but was too lazy. It's not that hard of a job at all, just time consuming.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The hardest part is removing the A/C condenser off of the front of the radiator and replacing it. If you are careful you don't even get your hands dirty. Its 80.00 for an aftermarket radiator and an hours work. That works out to about 230.00/hr which is good $$ as far as I can tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote