saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
girlubsherion
girlubsherion is on a distinguished road

Default Taking it apart...

Hey you guys..
I was just posting a lil update..My ION 2 did that steering wheel thing..Where I'm going along driving...this time I had only been in the car for abotu 10 minutes or less..and then it locked up..I couldn't turn or anything...Unless it was using alot of strength..When it first locked up I was turning..and my brother had to help me...They were supposed to have fixed it..it was short in the fuses or something..and they replaced the fuses and fixed the short...well I'm took it into the dealership for weatherstrips..about 3 days ago...and I told them to go ahead and check it out again because I do so much traveling. I didn't want it to lock down on a busy road...Maybe they could find out it was powersteering or something..Well..they said they couldn't get it to do anything funny...def. not what I wanted to hear...I told'em..it doesn't happen all the time..look on your files..you 'fixed' it about a month and a half ago...and said if it happen again ya'll would go on from there looking for another reason....the tech got real quite..and then he had the nerve to say...well..if it happens again...bring it in and we'll rip it apart...and see..but as of right now..I don't whats wrong with it..Needless to say..I was already upset because of Saturn's lack of cooperation..I was supposed to have that death insurance reinbursementfrom my previous Saturn...come in 3 months ago..then they said for SURE the 20...Liars...insurance said Saturn had it..Saturn said they didn't..Liars..lol...$400.00 is a car payment..and extra..I need that cash!! Enuff of that rant..I'm taking my car up there today..and they are going tio "rip" it apart..They said it would take a couple of days...Well I asked for a loaner or rental..and they were..very..hesistant..He was like uhhh um...Well if we have to..*****...I have made like 5 trips at about..80 miles (round)..in the last week to them..for nothing..they ordered the wrong piece..it doesn't fit..tinting guy wasn't there..check was in...but lady wasn't..yada yada yada...
I'm so sick of my dealership..I wish there was a closer one to me..
Ok..I'm done..I don't wanna bore ya'll more than needed..
-Raquel
P.S.; anyone else have this shutting down/locking up problem fixed?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Are you talking about LOCKING or stiffening?

Locking as in the wheel lock feature kicks in, or stiffening like the electronic power assist goes out?
*Drive it like you bought it.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Hopefully it is the electric assist, because at that point she would still have minimal control. If the car locks the wheel and you lose all control that would be really bad.

This is one of those issues that really concerns me because it can lead to accidents, injury, and God forbid - death.

It's worse than having your fuel pump go out and stall the car, but ANY random situation that causes loss of power or control is a major concern.

I really hope that dealership finds out what is going on and fixes this.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
ant
ant is on a distinguished road

i hit a nasty drop in the road the other day and the electronic asst. turned off.
i couldn't move the steering wheel.
so, i just slowed down, turned the car off, and restarted it.
drove fine from then on.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:18 PM   #5
Jaseball
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ant
i hit a nasty drop in the road the other day and the electronic asst. turned off.
i couldn't move the steering wheel.
so, i just slowed down, turned the car off, and restarted it.
drove fine from then on.

That's scary though. We need to find out why the EPS would just shut off like that. Is it a software problem? Does the electric motor just quit out of the blue?

My guess is software because of how the EPS comes back on after the car is turned back on. This also explains why it is hard for the techs to spot because it isn't setting any codes or warnings.

I hope no one is hurt because of this issue.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
ant
ant is on a distinguished road

yea it was pretty scary.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
girlubsherion

Well..I couldn't turn it at all...But..the engine and everything was still running fine..I could continue to drive straight for as long as necessary but...no turns...
But..I'm not sure..my definition of stiffening didn't apply to my car...I think it was more or less locking down..Because I think when it stiffens you can still turn but...you have to use ALOT of force..with me..I couldn't turn at all...But when I turn the ignition off and completely restart my car..its fine again..
I took my car to the dealership..they agreed the other day..that I would have a rental...But guess what? When I arrived..the guy that was in charge of the service department...said..if they cannot see the problem..and get it to reoccur..to prove their is a problem..then I have no rental..But...They need to keep my car all day...I had no ride..or anything...So I call my brother...and he deciedes to threaten them..and say he would file a complaint..and the ocean seemed to shift..they told him he could call the Saturn Co. and try to get an approval for a rental..and of course..they approved me a one day rental in order to get my car checked out..So this is the 3rd attempt to find/figure out the problem..
My brother is scared to death I will crash..and it could result in a serious injury because of this problem..
Either way..they are going to spend the whole day driving my car (and wasting my gas)...in order to try to 'recreate' the scanio..is the term he used..like I was lying or something? Shoot..I love my Ion..why would I like about something that major?
He said if it doesn't lock...then they cannot fix it..because there is not a problem..HUM..
OH yah..I got a crappy rental too..Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining..its a Saturn L200..It's oil hasn't been change in 5000 miles..and when I speed up to pass a guy..it was smelling like burning...something..Not my problem though...
Old 07-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #8
girlubsherion

BTW:...they tried the..its a short in your fuses thing...I told'em check your records!! those were replaced the first time I brought'er in..Then..he questioned my on after market..I said I do have undercarriage lights..and as soon as I said that..he jumped on that and was sure that those were the cause of this problem...But..They problem occurred before I even had the lights installed..I onced again told him to check his records..and I could show him my installation reciept to back it up...Gr...I'm so frustrated
Old 07-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
Jaseball
Master Member

Is there another dealer you can go to near you? Have them check this website. There are a few owners with pure stock Ions that have had this problem.

I think something is causing the ECM to wig out or cut power to the EPS motor.

The jolt ant mentioned appeared to cause that experience. When it happens to you have you been driving for awhile or is there anything that you can think of, such as running a cell phone charger or something that triggers this problem?

If the steering wheel is really locking, perhaps there is something wrong with the ignition cylinder that is causing the car to lock up like that.

Does it get really cold in winter over there? There were problems with Ions refusing to start in cold weather and needing new ignition cylinders and I wonder if this is the case with your car?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
girlubsherion

Well...see..I read that about..the Ion 2...shutting down after 2 or 3 hours of driving...I was in my car maybe 10 minutes and it happened..It was midday..So I had nothing running..my undercarriage lights were off..no cell phone charger was in...I didn't even have the radio going because my brother was talking to me..so I don't know..
This is the closest dealer to me..Although I am considered a 4 hour drive to get her checked out..
I told the dealership of the problems I had been reading about...There have been a few posts on this particular problem..they seem to look at me like I'm crazy..Then they say..well..If we can't make it happen for us..then we assume there is no problem..Which..makes me really mad...We bought 2 cars off of the same dealership..I basically sold them to my brother..This is our 3rd and final purchase from our local dealership...IF I decide to trade my Ion in..I'm driving that extra 4 hours...
I have had my car since..April..I think..the very end..and I live in West Texas..There really isn't such a thing as winter...I think the coldest its been around these parts (esp. since it's summer) has been...80ish...
Old 07-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #11
Jaseball
Master Member

I'd suggest the following:

Write a very detailed, calm, and factual letter to the regional manager of Saturn in your area. CC the local service and sales manager. Find out the district manager's name and address and mail it directly to him/her and send a copy to your dealership. Mail one to yourself as well.

Be sure to include your prior service visits. Mention how you know other owners have also experienced this issue. Tell them you realize this problem may be hard to reproduce and the techs may not be able to re-produce it, but this doesn't mean the problem isn't there and won't happen at any time.

Explain how scared you were with the steering locking up and your fear of an accident being caused because of the nature and severity of the problem and how this is a major safety issue.

Make no threats, don't mention lawyers or lawsuits. Just document the facts and experience. Now you have a written record and documented what has been going on and you have escalated the problem to a higher level within Saturn.

God forbid you get into an accident, but if the steering locks up and you get hurt or someone else gets hurt you have a crucial piece of evidence against Saturn and proof that you took action and gave them ample time to find and resolve a problem that could cause an accident.

If it were me, after the letter is written and sent I would ask them to check and replace the ignition module.

Best of luck, stay safe, and keep us informed of how things are going for you.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
girlubsherion

Thank you very much...I pick up my car tomorrow so..I will see what they say..My next step will be to write the letter..Thank you for the advice..i'm sure tommorrow will just be another..We couldn't reproduce the problem..So we see it as there isn't one...I will be asking a copy of my record..So I can see what actual work was done to the car...and I think I will put a copy in the letter I do write...We attempted to talk to the dealerships General Manager..but he is no where to be found...He is also the guy that needs to sign my 400.00 check...He was supposed to come in today but...He hasn't been in all week is what their sec. said..So who knows..I will post any updates..
Closed Thread