SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
owl_dyson
owl_dyson is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Question Interesting speedo things

So as many people probably have i've used the time off work due to COVID-19 to work on my saturn. The main thing being the transmission fluid leeks. so i replace the passenger seals successfully, pulled the drivers side cv shaft and seal, then realized i didn't actually have the drivers side seal. So since all the parts stores are closed i can't get a new seal. Anyway so the car has sat for 2 weeks without use so started it up today. A little rough but as to be expected but then came the interesting part. The hand brake started beeping like it does when you drive with it still on. kinda weird, but then i also noticed that the speedo was reading at 20kph. double checked that the car wasn't in gear, (its a 5sp) and the speed still read 20kph. The speedo would also read higher as i built the revs up. i'm assuming that this has to do with no cv shaft? i'm not to sure just want to learn, especially with not much to do these days.
owl_dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Interesting speedo things

Years ago, following oral surgery, & due to the horrid facial swelling I could hardly even chew down solids.
Lots of idle time ahead.
I did not own a TV back then, nor since.
So: It took me 7 full days to read the Bible from Genesis through Revelation.
I have been eternally glad since 1975.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I expect the differential was being spun by friction in the gears. With no wheels to restrain it, it spun up.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I agree with Waiex191 on the free wheeling driver side axle since it isn't restrained on the ground with the engine idling (or revving) while on a jack stand.

If local auto parts stores are closed, did you try searching on rockauto.com? They just posted today with a 5% discount. I presume they're still operating during this COVID-19 interruption in everyday life. Call and check. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...68#post2343068
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I agree with Waiex191 on the free wheeling driver side axle since it isn't restrained on the ground with the engine idling (or revving) while on a jack stand.

If local auto parts stores are closed, did you try searching on rockauto.com? They just posted today with a 5% discount. I presume they're still operating during this COVID-19 interruption in everyday life. Call and check. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...68#post2343068
I just placed an order with Rockauto today, but I suspect the OP is in Canada, which may change things.

I didn't realize we had a code provided to us on this forum. I normally use one from another forum I'm on.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
FridgeOfCanada
FridgeOfCanada will become famous soon enough

2001 SL2

I am from Canada, and I can confirm rockauto.com is awesome. Now they calculate shipping, duty and taxes at checkout. No surprises now!
FridgeOfCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
owl_dyson
owl_dyson is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Interesting speedo things

I kinda assumed it would be something along those lines. Yeah for whatever reason i didn't think of ordering from rockauto, but they do have the seal its just gonna cost a ton in shipping but won't be here until the 20th. but doubt the stores will be open by then so its worth it! thanks for letting me know about the discount!
owl_dyson is offline   Reply With Quote