SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default 1998 SC2, MagnaFlow Exhaust Question

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Heavy Metal Grade Federal vs. the O.E.M. Grade Federal ?

I know the Heavy Metal has more catalytic material, but is there any other difference?
What makes me wonder is the fact that the “better” HM catalytic converter costs less than the “worst” O.E.M. catalytic converter.

Is one more restrictive to exhaust flow than the other?
The images appear to be CADD drawings, so differences might not be apparent.

HEAVY METAL

O.E.M.

This could be a dumb question because I submitted it to MagnaFlow thru their contact question form and have received no reply....
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1998 SC2, MagnaFlow Exhaust Question

The OEM one is likely California/CARB compliant and has more catalyst material for better emissions. Fed spec is more than enough for the other 49 states. Both will be stainless steel, I don't think Magnaflow even makes mild steel components.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
The OEM one is likely California/CARB compliant and has more catalyst material for better emissions. Fed spec is more than enough for the other 49 states. Both will be stainless steel, I don't think Magnaflow even makes mild steel components.
That sounds plausible, but both the HM and the OEM website images have a disclaimer, “Not for sale in California”.
Maybe the HM is for California-type emissions requirements in states like New York, yet the HM doesn’t meet the current, ever-stricter CARB requirements. That seems to agree with what I could find on the MagnaFlow website...but it would be nice if they would come right out and say it.
Thank you
Old 03-18-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I guess it is possible that the HM has to be connected to the MagnaFlow HM Manifold.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
It seems like there is an emissions penalty built into the price.
Meeting only the Fed emissions costs $69 more than meeting California/CARB.
The O.E.M. costs $69 more than the HM.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #6
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I've spent a few hours looking around the net for my car, which will get a new exhaust.

I detect bullxxxx. My guestimate is that the Saturn OEM cats have rectangular honeycomb matrix in the canister. Walker sells replacement cats with such a matrix, and that was the Saturn OEM in my '97 DOHC.

The Sat OEM 'precat' on the Ex Man of a '99 also has that rect matrix honeycomb.

I THINK the later LEV CARB compliant employ another type element, which
has Slightly higher resistance to flow... which consists of American-made cannisters with an interior material filler that is a COIL of corrugated
metal sheet with ceramic substrate deposited thereon.

I think the Sat OEM is probably imported- it requires precision manufacture.
The corrugated coils are just wrapped up and slid into place … thus not-so-precision.
Where the Sat OEM & Walker rectangular matrix have equidistant square 'holes' for exhaust flow,... the newer stuff - corrugated - is fit in a wrapped
coil; the 'holes' are curved shape like almonds, but compressed-- so the flow will try to stay in the middle of a tapering elliptical aperture.

They probably both work. The HM may just refer to the heavier gage of the sheet metal comprising the tubes/cannisters, which might resist corrosion longer. JUST GUESSING. I got a used ExMan with precat from one wrecking yard, and I want to inspect some parts from a LEV CARB compliant vehicle before I buy my replacement.

iT JUST OCCURRED TO ME THAT THE REASON WHY THE JUNKYARDS DO NOT USUALLY SELL THE CATS <ASIDE FROM LEGALITY>, IS THAT THEFT WAS A PROBLEM, AND THE LEGISLATORS DON'T WANT THE WRECKING YARDS TO BE A GOOD MARKET FOR STOLEN CATS.

ANYBODY ELSE ?

Too bad the customer service has not replied in transparent fashion.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Thanks for the good information.
I wonder if MagnaFlow’s O.E. and HM both have the same corrugated coils and the only difference is the amount of catalyst deposited on the coils. It doesn’t seem likely that there is more than one type of corrugated coil.
Customer service: I looked more closely at the specifications on MagnaFlow’s website, and the over-all length is the same for both the O.E. and the HM. So maybe my “fit” question was not a good one

The Walker sounds good, but it is the pipe forward of the converter that fails first. I am shopping for a stainless steel system from the converter forward to the exhaust manifold. The MagnaFlow system looks good in Magnaflow’s CADD drawings.

My 1998 original converter had AC Sparkplug stamped on the shell. I remember being in the AC Sparkplug model shop and seeing ceramic extrusions for converts sitting on a shelf. I think they were for diesel...
(That place had a 5-axis E.D.M. that could cut to 4 decimal places; Could have been 5 decimal places if the machine’s foundation would have been more substantial. 4 was good enough for their purposes, ...I was told...if I remember correctly...Walking into that place had the feeling of walking into Mission Control at the Kennedy Space Center)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
TomM96

> The Walker sounds good, but it is the pipe forward of the converter that fails first.

10-4 on that; I've replaced three

I wonder if the 'OEM' designation means just that: from the car manufacturer.

It's possible that some of the aftermarket items are functionally superior to the OEM... but, lacking the (OEM) designation … they are Illegal.

Maybe allowing aftermarket competition would mean maintaining a testing facility to qualify aftermarket entrants/products.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #9
TomM96

> seeing ceramic extrusions for converts sitting on a shelf. I think they were for
diesel...

The filler material of the cat for my '95K3500(6.5L hi output diesel) was exactly
same as my '97SW2 (to human eye) square box honeycomb.