saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Arrow Should I drop oil pan and clean sludge from my oil pickup tube

Just curious if it is easy to drop my oil pan on a 04 2.2 ecotec with a automatic tranny? As some may know my 207,000 mile Saturn has engine sludge due to neglect from the prior owners daughter lack of maintence. Car runs great but I have been concern about oil sludge accumulating around the screen/filter of the oil pick up tube down in the oil pan. Would you guys reccomend me servicing this oil pickup tube or just leave it alone. Any known to work engine flush additives to use before an oil change?

Im looking for facts not just what you have heard about oil cleaning additives. I know theres no real way of cleaning an engine w/o dissasembly but something to help prolong the engine life and help with oil circulation. I have been changing my oil/oil filter every 3,000-3,500 miles with 10 -W30.
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Should I drop oil pan and clean sludge from my oil pickup tube

If it has oil pressure now, and isn't seizing, just keep running synthetic oil.

Does it burn oil? quart/miles?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

It doesn't burn alot of oil just a small amount. Nothing a 207,000 mile engine wouldn't burn.
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

THen just keep running synthetic( or switch) if not.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Couple of Questions.

First I'll agree with the previous Posts. Stick with the regular Oil Changes and an Full Synthetic would be best to help clear out and keep any remaining Oil Sludge from getting worse. (If the Drop in Oil Filter Cartridge is showing signs of Build Up... you could easily change it or inspect it half way through your change Interval)

How long have you been changing your Oil on this car? Have you been getting any Oil Pressure,Overheat, or other warnings? Has the Oil you've been changing been looking "chunky" or particularly thick or sludge like?

Which brings me to ask why are you using 10W30?

Your Profile location says "Midwest"... So not exactly sure what kind of weather/conditions you drive in but it's FALL in my part of the Midwest and soon Winter. I've NEVER used 10W30 for a Regular Interval in my Saturn at any time of the year. Its almost always been (usually Synthetic) 5W30 (maybe occasionally 0W30 if I have it and will be putting on some harsh Winter Miles).

If you don't have a specific reason for the 10W30... (See your Owner's Manual) you might find the ION will perform better with 5W30 (Conventional or Synthetic) for virtually all your Driving Conditions, in the "Midwest".

As for "Sludge" Control Additives... You might try adding something like Seafoam to your Crankcase a few hundred miles before your next Oil Change... Drive Normally and Change the Oil as usual.

If you want to have the "Facts" about your Engine's current state of repair before you start using Additives... you might consider taking an Oil Sample at your next Change and send it in for testing at a place like http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ . You can request they send you a free Sample test kit... You can then fill out the form with a brief summary of your concerns and they can give you a report seeing if the sample(s) you submit are performing as it should and if they have any suggestions to address any problems found.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote