SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default question an help with headlight!

Well i been having a problem with my driver side headlight, about a month or 2 ago my high bean went out (didnt really worry about it cuz i never use my high beams anyways, usually just use my fogs when i need it brighter!) An then the last couple days i been having problems with my low beam coming on an off (not really with bumps) an then today it just stayed out but i can hit the headlight housing once or twice an it woild come back on witch made me think it was the wiring but later on when i got time to look at it i jiggled the hell out of the wires to it an nothing at all happened so then it led me onto the socket, i realized its been replaced before cuz of the wires (see pics) you can see where the wires at the socket are different then the ones further back in the harness an the passenger headlight socket is the one the car came with an everything else is OE, an i have had this car for almost 2yrs now with no problems with it. I have tried other bulbs an they all work fine on the passenger side but not the driver

So im going to get a high temp socket tomorrow but what im asking is what caused this connector to get burned up in the first place, i dont wanna fix it before figuring out the cause! Could it of just got to hot or the aftermarket connector was just crappy ect...

Also i had a problem with my inner drls before where 1 blinker would work an the other running light would work an it ended up being the sockets werent right even tho everything fit perfectly!

So any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 22.02.17.jpg (91.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 22.03.07.jpg (75.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 22.03.36.jpg (167.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 22.03.49.jpg (139.9 KB, 15 views)
support your local 81!
oxyhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
Mja1831
Mja1831 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: question an help with headlight!

I wonder if the rubber seal is poopy and let moisture in. I have no idea
Mja1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I had similar problems with one of my Headlight sockets overheating which required me to splice in a new one. As I recall it was on an Aftermarket Headlamp (replaced after the original was destroyed by a Deer running into it). So always demand quality parts when repair work is done.

May not be related but is your ION up to date on any recalls or TSBs relating to the DRL or lighting systems? I know the 03-04 ION did have a recall on its DRLs.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
I had similar problems with one of my Headlight sockets overheating which required me to splice in a new one. As I recall it was on an Aftermarket Headlamp (replaced after the original was destroyed by a Deer running into it). So always demand quality parts when repair work is done.

May not be related but is your ION up to date on any recalls or TSBs relating to the DRL or lighting systems? I know the 03-04 ION did have a recall on its DRLs.
Yea i did all the recalls when i got the car a few years ago, the oroblem ened up being the wiring 2ft back which was the ground wire messing it up, looked like it was cut then sliced but wasnt done right, i redid it with heat shrink an havent had any problem, even using the same socket i just had to make the metal clip on the messed up part a lil tighter so it wont have a problem if moving
support your local 81!
oxyhydro is offline   Reply With Quote