SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
ghawthorne
ghawthorne is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 SL2 Sedan - Rotted Subframe Danger?

Hi all! Back again about my winter beater. I bought a '98 SL2 a couple weeks ago, paid $750, just looking for something to limp through til the snow melts, then it can fall apart.

Since I got it from a friend of a friend and it only has to survive til April, I took the PO's word that it just needed a front driver's side tie rod.

Turns out that yeah, it does, but also the front subframe just ahead of that tie rod had rust-rotted through so there was about a one-inch gap. A Mavis mechanic showed me how the whole wheel was shifting around while driving.

Another friend welded a couple of foot-long pieces of L-shaped 3/16" thick steel across the gap, and welded around where rusted metal had separated from a bolt further up in the frame. Pics below of the gap and the bolt before the welding job - the big hunk of metal to the side is a sledgehammer head we used to help the jack reach. We were just trying to make sure it at least wouldn't fall apart on the drive home.

I was only planning to drive this thing once or twice a week about five minutes to the grocery store or similar short trips through the winter. What I'd like to know is, is this car now too dangerous to drive and I shouldn't risk myself and others by putting it on the road? What is likely to happen? I can cut my losses and just part it out or something, but I'd like to know if it can survive for such limited use.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151019_115722.jpg (119.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20151019_115737.jpg (101.2 KB, 58 views)
ghawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 1998 SL2 Sedan - Rotted Subframe Danger?

How about pix after the weld repair?
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
ghawthorne

Ack, yeah, that would've been a good idea.

This is the best shot I could get without driving back to where the ramps were...it's two pieces of L-shaped metal running lengthwise across the gap, back to back. We ground down the rust first to get a bite on good steel before welding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151024_162016[1].jpg (92.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

That's probably the sturdiest part of the car now as the L brackets are thicker than everything else the car is built on

Not sure how well you can get anything welded to multiple thin layers of steel like the subframe is built of but it should hold for the winter as long as you don't do anything extra "interesting" with it...lol
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

^^^ +1
Old 10-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #6
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

That should keep the car going straight through deep snow
97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
ghawthorne

Thanks guys! I'm definitely granny-driving it, and only when necessary.

el diablo viejo: You mean steering wise, keeping the car going in a straight line? Will it put too much stress on that part of the frame, tie rod, etc, trying to steer through snow?

This is the kind of stuff I'm trying to find out - I'm a repair/car newbie in general, and I've heard things from "wheel could fall off" to "engine could drop out", so I'm looking for info to know what real dangers/problems to expect.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
billr
Master Member

I think that was kind of a joke, that those "fins" hanging down would act as rudders. Don't worry about that.

You are taking a gamble with this car now, but I don't think it is a big one. Keep the speeds and such reasonable, keep proper spacing from other cars, then even if something does fail, it should be a non-tragic event. Those patch pieces are quite strong, but they are welded to rusted-out "quicksand"; and if there is rust like that there, then there are likely to be bad spots elsewhere, even in places you don't know about.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
ghawthorne

Lol, maybe I can weld on some longer steel and shovel people's driveways with my undercarriage.

Thanks Bill, and everybody else. I'll keep an eye on the quicksand and check the steel every time before I go out to make sure it's still in place. Fingers crossed we make it til April!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #10
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I think that was kind of a joke, that those "fins" hanging down would act as rudders. Don't worry about that.

You are taking a gamble with this car now, but I don't think it is a big one. Keep the speeds and such reasonable, keep proper spacing from other cars, then even if something does fail, it should be a non-tragic event. Those patch pieces are quite strong, but they are welded to rusted-out "quicksand"; and if there is rust like that there, then there are likely to be bad spots elsewhere, even in places you don't know about.
More like a keel if you will, and yes I was joking. The picture does not show the LCA bracket, which would be another critical area of concern if it was severely corroded. Otherwise, the repair looks like it should hold up well enough for what you need.
97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

If the subframe is rotted out there you need to carefully check the other points. The transmission mount, control arms, sway bar, are all important things that need to stay attached. If you feel comfortable that they are ok, some corrosion inhibitor might slow down the progression of the rust.
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghawthorne View Post
. What I'd like to know is, is this car now too dangerous to drive and I shouldn't risk myself and others by putting it on the road? What is likely to happen? I can cut my losses and just part it out or something, but I'd like to know if it can survive for such limited use.

Thanks in advance for your help!
And we have a crystal ball from two pics and a descrip of a repair you expect us to render judgement?

Do you have life insurance? Do you have a will?

YOu make the call.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

If you or your friends are interested in swapping the front subframe

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155369
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote