SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
scw2
scw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
1999 SC2
Default help me help this idiot please

A friend of mine went to virginia over the summer and came back with a 97 sc2 5 speed. He got for a steal, bought it from some kid that thought a bad water pump was the end of the world. At any rate we went through the car and fixed the worn suspension and tuned her up. Now he wants to turbo it. I tryed to talk him out of it but he is such a stubborn moron and doesnt have a clue about turbos. I dont know alot about it either so here is what he wants to do. Bolt a log manifold on and put a gt-17 on from a Saab. He thinks he is going to run 10psi without any extra fuel management. Anyone ever turboed a saturn without fuel management that didnt blow up, how many psi can it run without hurting it? And we live in ny where emissions are part of inspection. Would a turbo without fuel management cause a check engine light?
scw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: help me help this idiot please

Yes, it will cause all kinds of issues without a stand alone engine management system. Will never pass emissions.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
A friend of mine went to virginia over the summer and came back with a 97 sc2 5 speed. He got for a steal, bought it from some kid that thought a bad water pump was the end of the world. At any rate we went through the car and fixed the worn suspension and tuned her up. Now he wants to turbo it. I tryed to talk him out of it but he is such a stubborn moron and doesnt have a clue about turbos. I dont know alot about it either so here is what he wants to do. Bolt a log manifold on and put a gt-17 on from a Saab. He thinks he is going to run 10psi without any extra fuel management. Anyone ever turboed a saturn without fuel management that didnt blow up, how many psi can it run without hurting it? And we live in ny where emissions are part of inspection. Would a turbo without fuel management cause a check engine light?
Depends what exactly your emissions testing includes.... You won't get very far for very long without any sort of extra fuel.
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The engine won't last at all as soon as a turbo is dropped in for a simple reason; non boosted engines runs in a vacuum (negative pressure) and the map sensor along with the pcm only accounts for negative pressure - once a turbo or supercharger generates positive pressure, the map sensor can't detect it and the pcm cannot add more fuel needed with boost so the engine leans out immediately............... and blows up. The pcm isn't mapped for positive boost and the stock map sensor cannot detect it. Its a dead end and engine without a second engine management system, a map sensor rated for boost pressures and all the other details needed to turn a naturally aspirated engine into a turbo'd one.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Aside from all the technical reasons why it'll be a pain in the rump to do....it won't even be particularly fast if he manages to succeed. If he wants a small turbocharged economy car, there are lots of used ones out there that were built with a turbo for not a whole lot more money.

With enough money thrown at the problem, anything is possible. There are a number of turbocharged Saturns out there. Properly tuned, it'll get him into the speed ranks of a V6 minivan.

If he's still undeterred. I believe sixthsphere and a few other places have some guides.
---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Cheapest route if you have a welder is a 4G63 manifold, turbo and probably downpipe. Need to cut the ears off on the manifold and weld 'em in to make it flat like the LLO manifold, then it just bolts onto the head, then weld the 4g63 downpipe to the stock exhaust. PVC pipe from the hardware store should work for the intake pipe portion as well as a cone filter.

Have a way to tow it home properly planned out before leaving the driveway with it though, unless you/he gets something for fuel tuning.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Have a way to tow it home properly planned out before leaving the driveway with it though, unless you/he gets something for fuel tuning.
For all the further he'll get bolting on a turbo with nothing else, he can just push it back up his driveway :P
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Tell him "No".

Give him these reasons above.

Then, do a quality tune-up, a strong fuel system cleaner, Italian Tune-up and put in a quality Syn oil.

Then, let him enjoy what power it is giving him.
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

The cost of a turbo on a Saturn would outweigh the value of the car, He would be better off just buying a car with a turbo in it.
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really nice

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Tell him "No".

Give him these reasons above.

Then, do a quality tune-up, a strong fuel system cleaner, Italian Tune-up and put in a quality Syn oil.

Then, let him enjoy what power it is giving him.

What's an "Italian Tune-up"?

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 manual - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
scw2
scw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
1999 SC2

Thanks guys im just gonna let him read this and hope he gets the hint. I dont think turboing a saturn is a bad idea. But the way he wants to do it is just stupid. I think if he is really gonna do it ill try to convince him to get a first gen. Atleast one issue will be resolved
Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Thanks guys im just gonna let him read this and hope he gets the hint. I dont think turboing a saturn is a bad idea. But the way he wants to do it is just stupid. I think if he is really gonna do it ill try to convince him to get a first gen. Atleast one issue will be resolved
Let's say for a moment (though it's unlikely unless he spends a LOT) that he gets a 50% increase in engine output. On a pristine 1.9L DOHC that isn't tired, we'd be looking at 185-ish HP at the crank after an expenditure of a few thousand bucks (assuming he does most of the work himself), a lot of tuning time, and the likelihood of the engine going kaboom. Wake me up when it's over.
---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
scw2

1997 SW2
1999 SC2

If he blows it up then he solved both issues. no engine = no emissions or turbo issues
Old 12-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #14
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

In before lawn ornament.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Thanks guys im just gonna let him read this and hope he gets the hint. I dont think turboing a saturn is a bad idea. But the way he wants to do it is just stupid.....
You couldn't have said it any better.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
scw2

1997 SW2
1999 SC2

I showed this to him a few mins ago and now he is even more determined to prove me wrong , im just gonna sit back wait for him to blow this car up and ill buy it for scrap price and replace the engine. I will finally get to use this 50k mile engine out of this wrecked sedan. excited
Old 12-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When and IF this engine blows up, can you take some pictures to post here, for 'show and tell'? I'm sure there are a few here interested in seeing a 'blown' engine. (all puns intended) Ignorance only goes so far while knowledge let man walk on the moon using slide rules long before electronic calculators were though of. I still have my slide rule.........as a keepsake.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
scw2

1997 SW2
1999 SC2

Lol i will, what do you think is gonna happen, burned rings and piston or snapped connecting rod?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, moving on to guesses.........

Stock, without a supplemental engine management system and keeping the same map sensor........ I would guess holing pistons and bending valves first, sending a con rod second.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

its going to detonate and shatter the pistons.
'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote