saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Jeriath
Jeriath is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default 2006 Ion 2 Secondary Air Injection System Issues

Hi,

A few months ago, I got a p0411 code for the first time on my Saturn. From what I could tell, this code was incredibly generic and had a hard time figuring out what could be causing it. A few weeks later I got a second code P2440, which indicated that the solenoid valve was stuck open. Long story short, replacing that didn't work, so I also have replaced the secondary air pump as well as the wiring connector to the solenoid because it didn't seem to be working and it looked pretty beat up. Since then, the p2440 code hasn't come back, but the p0411 continues to return. If I disconnect the hose going into the solenoid valve during a cold start, I can feel both a good air flow coming out of the hose (so i know the air pump is working properly) and also pulsing bursts of air coming from the solenoid so I assume that is working as well? There are no leaks in the air hoses that i can find so I am completely at a loss as to what could be causing the light to come on. As far as I can tell online, there aren't any more parts to this system so everything should be working. I would greatly appreciate any ideas on what could be causing this.
Jeriath is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Ion 2 Secondary Air Injection System Issues

P0411; http://www.obd-codes.com/p0411. Is the pumped air tube into the exhaust manifold clear or clogged?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Jeriath
Jeriath is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The tube into the exhaust manifold is the pipe in the upper right of this picture correct (attached)? If so, unless the clog was actually IN the exhaust manifold, it wouldn't be clogged since the part was replaced. If I am incorrect, please let me know and I can take a look to see if it is somewhere else. I also saw something what you posted about vacuum and was confused. It sounded like you should feel a vacuum on the intake tube in the solenoid valve? if that's correct, i don't believe that is what I am feeling. Some more information as well: When i reset the light, it comes back on after 4 cold starts, regardless of the mileage traveled. I read one thing talking about the different stages the system goes through so it seems like its coming on in an earlier stage rather than a later one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31%2BZ7yKrvYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (10.3 KB, 36 views)
Jeriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not being familiar with every change in air injection for emissions control, the general operation is to pump air into the exhaust system at cold engine start up - the extra oxygen allows the O2 sensor to quickly heat up to operating temperature, 600F+ before it begins outputting valid signals. Older systems used a combination of vacuum and solenoids to operate a vacuum controlled valve with a solenoid to control vacuum. Yours may rely solely on electrical operation. Before reaching warm engine operating levels, the engine is in open loop mode relying on all the other sensors to make the right fuel/air mixtures but not clean emissions. Once the O2 sensor reaches operating temps, closed loop mode is entered for tight emissions control. The engine is already at operating temperatures but waiting for the O2 sensor to heat up. The air pump runs at the beginning of cold engine starts to help the O2 sensor heat up. Other EFI systems use a heater (electric) in each sensor, like mine and costs about twice as much as a non-heated sensor. Any method used is to get the O2 sensor up to operating temps as soon as possible as this lowers cold engine fuel use. Its like the choke on older engines that were once manually operated and then automatic - all force a richer fuel mixture to get the engine warmed up but create more exhaust emissions. With EFI systems, fine tuning an engine under strict emissions control requires imagination and a lot more programming for automation. Heating up the O2 sensor is another fine tuning method to use less fuel for lower emissions.

The corrugated tubing looks to be large diameter to answer the problem of older air pump systems using a small diameter tube that clogged up depending on the health of the engine. If the tube is new then examining the exhaust manifold junction for blockage is another place to check, even poking around into the port to see or hear of any carbon build up. If the exhaust manifold is clear and free of obstructions then the air injection system may need to be studied to find out if there's a fault in its operation to cycle the pump at the right time during cold engine running.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote