SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
2002SATURN-PHX
2002SATURN-PHX is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Led tail/stop/turn

I'm adding LEDs all the way around. I bought some Super Bright LED -- Any issues I need to be aware of before installing? First time doing LED's ...
2002SATURN-PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Haybale
Haybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Led tail/stop/turn

I recently bought all LED's for my 98 SL2 and none of them worked. The front turn signals would blink together either way you turned the signal and no blinking with the running lights on.

The rears did not fit the socket. I bought them on ebay, so be careful.
Ryan

97 SL2 Mack Charcoal 5 speed, 238k miles, bought 11/18/15
98 SL2 Pearl White auto, 190k miles, 11/7/15 RIP
S-series Shop Manual: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177672
Haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

You have to use an electronic flasher for the LED's to work for the turn signal.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
You have to use an electronic flasher for the LED's to work for the turn signal.
Why spend money you don't have to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
When you upgrade to LED's the lights begin to flash twice as fast. This happens because the LED lights require a fraction of the current that a standard fillament-type bulb requires.

Inside the flasher is a chip. It is a U643B Automotive Flasher chip. It basically controls the relay that turns the lights on and off. This chip has circuitry that can detect when a light is out by looking for a reduction in load (current). The chip will see this and trigger the lights on and off twice as fast to alert the driver that a bulb is out.

Luckilly this is all done with one pin on the chip. What you need to do is take the stock electronic flasher apart and cut the trace on the bottom of the PC board to pin 7 on the chip. You will loose the 'lamp failure detection' on the chip. But the lights will flash normally. And you saved some money as long as you don't break the flasher.

Click the link below for more information on the U643B chip.
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/p...ts/doc4727.pdf
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Some of the later flashers use a different chip and the pin-out is different. Check the number before cutting.

Link to data sheet, no longer on Amtel site. http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...MEL/U643B.html

Last edited by OldNuc; 06-30-2013 at 08:31 AM.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
2002SATURN-PHX

2002 SL1

Thanks for all the great insight. I have found a LED flasher relay (3-prong) that designed to fix hyper flashing and some of the other issues. Does the 3rd gen sl use a universal 3 prong flasher, and is this located in the engine bay fuse box.

This auction features for a piece of 3-pin Electronic LED 12V Flasher Relay Fix for Turn Signal, Blinker Light.

This will solve LED related turn signal problems such as repid flashing, not flashing, or bulb burnt out warning on dashboard. These are designed for most 3-pin Japanese configurations. Simple Plug N' Play.

Connection Instructions

Replace the stock relay in the fuse box.
LED Flasher Unit CF13JL-02
SPECIFICATIONS

Technical Characteristics

Nominal Voltage

12V

Operating Voltage

11V...15V

Switch Current

0.02A - 20A

Max. Current

20A

Flashing Frequency

90 times per min

Operating Temperature

-40C to +80C

Life Time

200 working hours

Important Information about the LED Flasher: The LED flasher does not replace all flasher relay. Before ordering, please make sure the 3-pin configuration is the same as your vehicle's. You can usually find your flasher pin out printed right on your flasher. Failure to check this and installation in an incompatible vehicle can blow your fuse, destroy the flasher and void the flasher warranty.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
2002SATURN-PHX

2002 SL1

Well I installed my LED's in the brake lights and they work fine but are only 1/2 as bright as the normal lights. However when I installed the rear turn signal lED's they are bright. I got the amber LED unit for the turns, but the White for the tail, I wonder if I should have got the Red lights to match the lens and if this would solve the brightness problem, or maybe I bought the wrong LED's altogether. Superbright LED has a 42 smd with 220 lumen (what ever that means) I think its brightness). Oh and I have to get a LED flasher modual to correct the Hyper flashing for the turns. These are the ones I bought on ebay ...

I wonder if I pay alittle more I would get a better quality LED like these from Superbright LED's
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...led-tower/633/

Any feedback is appreciated..
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Haybale
Haybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
2000 SW2

I think the problem is most of the LED's are facing up/down/left/right and only a couple are out the back...
Ryan

97 SL2 Mack Charcoal 5 speed, 238k miles, bought 11/18/15
98 SL2 Pearl White auto, 190k miles, 11/7/15 RIP
S-series Shop Manual: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177672
Haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

White LED's produce very little light waves in other colors, unlike incandescent bulbs so there's very little light to make it out of the red filter on the brake lights.
The amber turn signals are a great fit for amber bulbs, the light being produced is near enough to the amber filter that all produced light is allowed through.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
o_so_slo
o_so_slo is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

id love to do all LEDs all around aswell. is there anything i should be worried about when doing this? i already did the plate bulbs (SMD) and the converted the trunk light to LED(smd) strips
Show car: 2000 ford focus zx3 boosted
DD: 2002 Saturn SL1
o_so_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
2002SATURN-PHX

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_so_slo View Post
id love to do all LEDs all around aswell. is there anything i should be worried about when doing this? i already did the plate bulbs (SMD) and the converted the trunk light to LED(smd) strips
You have to get the RED Leds fore the tail/stop and the amber Led's for the turn signal. The white is not bright enough. Also you need a LED Flasher Modual so the turn signals don't hyper flash. I found this out the hard way by buing the above bulbs but they weren bright enough/ Look on eBay for a led flasher modual make sure you get one that matches the flasher that's in your car. Look here for the flasher relay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...relay&_sacat=0
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
cfelten
cfelten is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_so_slo View Post
i already did the plate bulbs (SMD) and the converted the trunk light to LED(smd) strips
Where did you order the LED for the trunk light from? Do you happen to recall the part #? I've been searching on here and superbrightleds.com for an acceptible replacement, and I'm a bit confused on which one to actually purchase.

I've seen the bulb # 906 thrown around a lot, but there are about 30 results for the on superbright...

Thanks
cfelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Trunk light on a Gen 3 is a 194 bulb, I think.

It's different from the dome light.
On Gen 1 and 2 the trunk is the same as the dome.

I was going to try this soon...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/214/

It's oversized, have to check fit...
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
cfelten
cfelten is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post

It's oversized, have to check fit...
Thanks for the info. Please reply after you check the fit. I've been looking at replacing a lot of lights recently with LEDs and often stumble across conflicting information. What's more annoying...superbright suggests the 906 when you do their click-through car search!
cfelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

There is also a six led version,

And a 5 and 9 led round version
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ase-tower/207/

Does the Saturn use a CAN bus?
If so, LED's with load resistors built it are available...

Will post more in a few days, placing order for 9 LED round version, CAN bus for my other car...
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:49 AM   #16
Darkfyre13
Darkfyre13 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post

Just to let you and everyone else know I just did this swap and the trunk light, the dome light and the map lights on the 3rd gens are 212-2 bulbs double festoon base rigid loop. Also for signals, backup lights, sidemarkers, and tail/brake lights I personally recommend Alla Lighting 43 light or higher with SMD tech and make sure its the same color as the lens its going behind or it will not show through very well. Also for high mount only PC base bulbs will work you can use either PC168 or PC194 both will work.
1996 SL2 RIP Tranny 322k miles
1996 SL2 RIP Totaled in hail storm 169k miles
1998 SL2 RIP Broken Rod, Snapped Timing Chain 300k miles
2002 SL2 180,800 miles still going strong
Darkfyre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

After getting rear ended last year, I went out and bought super bright red led brake lights. They are nearly 2x as bright as the originals, and thus I feel safer in the rain at night for example, and just more visible over all.
Great investment.
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:09 AM   #18
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

if your doing LED all around the car don't upgrade third brake light to led since brake lights/parklights are together you will have backfeed too third brake light causing it too come on with lights only enough to make third brake light come on dimly
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Just a thought on safety and tail lights. If you live in a snowy climate, LED's don't produce much heat. If you get snow on your tail lights, it might not melt while you are driving, so your lights get covered in snow while you drive. It's not worth getting run over in a snow storm.
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #20
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind999 View Post
Just a thought on safety and tail lights. If you live in a snowy climate, LED's don't produce much heat. If you get snow on your tail lights, it might not melt while you are driving, so your lights get covered in snow while you drive. It's not worth getting run over in a snow storm.
never had that issue at all and i drove in snow storms and my old car which i did led all around
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote