SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
TheHartster
TheHartster is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default On the fence! Thinking of trading in.

I purchased my 3 door Astra XR Dec of last year. Still owe 8 grand on it.
It had 14,500 miles on it when I bought it and as of today it just hit
17,000 miles. I work 1 mile from my home so I usually walk and keep it garaged. I have only seen 1 other Astra since owning my car, which I really enjoy, having a vehicle that only so many possess.
My problem is that many people and a few shops around here, (one body shop that a good friend of mine owns) tell me that parts for the Astra can be difficult, expensive and time consuming to acquire if the car was ever in a accident.
Since day 1 I found myself constantly looking in my rear view mirror at every light and stop sign to make sure the guy/gal sees that I am stopped and I always park at the very end of the parking lot when going to stores etc to avoid door dings or scratches.
I know it sounds funny or even anal but I find my Astra in such perfect/mint condition that I am hesitant to take it out and enjoy it for what it is and I'm considering about trading it in on something else, that if it gets into an accident, scratched or even dinged, it won't upset me and I know it can get fixed in a minimal amount of time and I do not need to worry about driving my car or if I can get parts for it pronto.
Is that just crazy talk or is this something that other people have thought about at one time or another?
TheHartster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: On the fence! Thinking of trading in.

Well, I would keep it because it sounds like you have one awesome, low mileage car.

I've got a few dings and scratches on mine, and I have finally accepted that it isn't a show piece, but a daily driver.

Once you get over that mental hurdle you can enjoy your car like it should be.

On the flip side, what would you trade it in for? A Sonic hatch?
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
TheHartster

2008 Astra XR

Actually the Sonic Hatch was one of my choices but I am drawn to the Ford Focus SE. Yes, I know everyone has one and that is one of the points for me.
I'm not going to be jumping ship unless I get a deal I cannot refuse.
I'm in no hurry to make the switch so basically all the planets must align just right for me to pull the trigger.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
blaisedaddy
blaisedaddy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Enjoy your car if your budget allows you the luxury buy a second car and enjoy your Astra. then do it.
blaisedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
TheHartster

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisedaddy View Post
Enjoy your car if your budget allows you the luxury buy a second car and enjoy your Astra. then do it.
Boy! That would be nice but unfortunately that isn't in the cards that were dealt to me.
The only way I would part from my Astra is if the deal is too sweet to pass on because I really do love the looks of the car but I just don't think I will ever get past the point of fully enjoying being able to drive a car that is rare without constantly worrying about other peoples bad driving skills around me and in my area it seems like everyone is a new driver.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well..what would you want to sell your car for? I am almost at 40K and given that yours is at 17K and sounds pristine..I could be inclined to make an offer. You can send me a PM if you want.
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i dont understand the logic. you have a near new car that you owe 8k on and are thinking of going another 12k into debt because you are afraid your 8k car will get hit. when my astra kamikazeed itself i was glad it was the astra and not the M. if you are worrying about a four year old astra, imagine how much you will worry about a new car.

if you buy a new car you will just watch it depreciate while it sits in the garage. you may even be upside down on it before you know it.

i say save your money, and worry about body parts when the time comes. they got a door off a wreck (standard industry practice for a door) for my astra, and the quarter panel came in within days. it is the second most popular car in europe, and with the internet parts will always be just a click away.
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
TheHartster

2008 Astra XR

Guess my biggest fear is if it is in an accident I will need to wait a few months before I have my vehicle back to drive again. This is what I get from reading other posts of people who have had their Astra's in the shop for repair.
This is my only vehicle. I totally understand where your coming from but isn't your Astra still in the shop getting repaired? Looking at your post it has been almost a month in the shop and by reading your posts it seems like you have other means of transportation, which I do not.
In no means am I dis-respecting you in your reply and if I had a second car this posting would never have materialized, but when the time comes and the inevitable happens, I cannot do without transportation for months.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

I keep thinking the same thing. But considering I just paid off the car and do not want another car payment I think I will keep it. Of course I have also been thinking of seeing about a straight trade.
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #10
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Keep it, it's just a car. As said above why put yourself out of pocket to protect an 8g car. It's a saturn, here at least, they are worth almost nothing compared to VW, Toyota even if they are more equipped and have less miles.

IF you get in an accident then decide when the time comes... i think purchasing a brand new car because of an IF is a little silly.
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
saturnions
saturnions is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
Well, I would keep it because it sounds like you have one awesome, low mileage car.

I've got a few dings and scratches on mine, and I have finally accepted that it isn't a show piece, but a daily driver.

Once you get over that mental hurdle you can enjoy your car like it should be.

On the flip side, what would you trade it in for? A Sonic hatch?
I agree with Cadi, keep it! It's more fun than buying a pimple car, and by that I mean like a pimple everyone has one, used to have one, going to get one, or just got rid of one. While I don't drive the rare ASTRA we do have a few low mileage ION's that are not as common as a Cobalt, Civic, or any other compact car. It's kinda nice to be different.
saturnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I'm as pessimistic as the next guy, but trading a car you are obsessed with because you don't want to get it damaged is a bit out there. Replacing a car that you really enjoy so that you don't have to worry about damaging it just makes no sense to me. How would you still be able to enjoy the car if you get rid of it?

Keep the car, drive it, take care of it. If something happens, worry about it then. If you are afraid of being without your car in the event of an accident and a parts delay, that's one thing, but trading the car because you are afraid it will get scratched, that's just weird
My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Don't trade it in - the dealer will take advantage of you. I'll give you 6k.
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
TheHartster

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop View Post
If you are afraid of being without your car in the event of an accident and a parts delay, that's one thing,
You nailed it right there 99.
I know eventually everything new/new used becomes tarnished in one way or another and I really have no problem with that. It's the time I could be without a car if in an accident that is really the issue due to scarce parts.
Like I said previously, The deal would have to be in my best interest or just too good to pass up, which in all reality probably isn't going to happen.
I appreciate everyone's input on this.
You are all right. Guess I am just producing problems that I haven't encountered yet and should not be worried about the "what if" and enjoy what I have.
I know there is absolutely nowhere I could go and get another car for 8 grand that would compare to the Astra. It is a great feeling owning something very few people have, not a pimple car.....that's funny saturnions.
It's nice to have people talk you off the ledge.
Thanks all, greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHartster View Post
You nailed it right there 99.
I know eventually everything new/new used becomes tarnished in one way or another and I really have no problem with that. It's the time I could be without a car if in an accident that is really the issue due to scarce parts.
Like I said previously, The deal would have to be in my best interest or just too good to pass up, which in all reality probably isn't going to happen.
I appreciate everyone's input on this.
You are all right. Guess I am just producing problems that I haven't encountered yet and should not be worried about the "what if" and enjoy what I have.
I know there is absolutely nowhere I could go and get another car for 8 grand that would compare to the Astra. It is a great feeling owning something very few people have, not a pimple car.....that's funny saturnions.
It's nice to have people talk you off the ledge.
Thanks all, greatly appreciated!
I know a "lot" of people have posted on the forum about months long delays, but you have to take into account that its the vocal minority. No one starts a thread to say they totalled their car and had it magically repaired overnight. I had my tail lights replaced a couple years ago, they had to be ordered and were in very quickly. I had my rear brakes replaced under warranty a couple years ago, factory parts were in stock locally.

If I was in your shoes, I'd keep the car and call up my insurance agent to inquire about their statistics on the Astra and see about rental coverage. They should be able to give you some idea of repair times.

I recently traded my Astra for a Cruze (comparison thread coming soon). It's not quite as fun in the turns, but it makes up for it in almost every other area. I loved the uniqueness of my Astra (and my SC2), but now I kind of like the anonymity of having a car that isn't almost one of a kind.
My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

If you don't have an extra car around, make sure you have rental car coverage on your auto insurance. It doesn't cost much, and it's always paid off for me. I've had minor incidents that have taken 4-5 days to repair, and the rental coverage made it pretty painless.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
If you don't have an extra car around, make sure you have rental car coverage on your auto insurance. It doesn't cost much, and it's always paid off for me. I've had minor incidents that have taken 4-5 days to repair, and the rental coverage made it pretty painless.
Also, if it isn't your fault, the other person's liability insurance will pay for a rental. On that note, if you are in an accident and your car is in the shop, their insurance still has to pay for "loss of use" even if you don't get a rental. So if you have an extra car to use or borrow, you can ask for loss of use (they won't offer it until you ask) and pocket the cash. They have a set rate per day.

Also, think of it this way. Getting rental coverage (or paying for a rental outright) is probably cheaper than what it would cost you to trade the car.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Guess my biggest fear is if it is in an accident I will need to wait a few months before I have my vehicle back to drive again. This is what I get from reading other posts of people who have had their Astra's in the shop for repair.
This is my only vehicle. I totally understand where your coming from but isn't your Astra still in the shop getting repaired? Looking at your post it has been almost a month in the shop and by reading your posts it seems like you have other means of transportation, which I do not.
In no means am I dis-respecting you in your reply and if I had a second car this posting would never have materialized, but when the time comes and the inevitable happens, I cannot do without transportation for months.
i understand exactly what you are saying, and did not read any disrespect in your post. your concern is a valid one, but i dont think it is worth going into debt over. i have another car - the roadster, and my insurance company is paying for a rental. the quarter panel took an extra three days most to come in. it is taking a long time, but not because of parts. the shop is extremely busy rebuilding some high end porsches, a gto judge, an xke and some other old stuff. i told them to take their time and do it right. i think it was just bad timing with the shop. they took my car and i saw they were backed up, but didnt care because i want it right. they also had to get approval from insurance for a few supplements like the quarter that took much of a week, the new instead of rebuilt bumper cover, bumper brackets, etc. that wasnt in the original estimate.

the used door was there within a week.

i also added some things. insurance is painting half the hood, the drivers fender, door, quarter, rear bumper and blending the passenger quarter. I at the last minute as in a day before paint had them paint the rest of the quarter, passenger door and fender and rest of hood. all that wont be fresh paint is the hatch, roof between the rails and front bumper. that added to the delay.

the car is together waiting to be detailed so it should be ready monday. again, the wait isnt because of parts. it would have taken just as long if it was my 89 951 or my wifes 06 volvo.
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

You are all right. Guess I am just producing problems that I haven't encountered yet and should not be worried about the "what if" and enjoy what !
You're engaging in what psychologists call " Catastrophizing " ( Google it ).

As others have said, with insurance, rentals should take car of any repair / parts related issues / delays....so these fears are a non-issue IMO.

With proper maintenance, any car should last to 200,000 miles without any ' atypical ' repairs....so, no reason your Astra shouldn't either.

Owing $8,000 on an ' orphan' car like an Astra that'll be heavily depreciated in the marketplace as a result doesn't work in your favor resale / trade-in wise....so you may want to seriously ' run the numbers ' as to any financial hits you may be potentially looking at before dumping it for a new car.
- 2008 Silver Astra 3dr ' XR ' 5 spd
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
IB Stylin
IB Stylin is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Just bought my astra < a month ago. Asked the dealer if getting parts would be an issue. He assured me that the parts are GM, so no worries. Of course I took that with a big grain of salt. The car is so sweet, I decided to hell with it, I'll risk it.

My Honda CRV was in the shop for a month after a deer-hit, so these things happen with US-built cars too.
IB Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote