SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
jamesq
jamesq is on a distinguished road

Default 98 SW2 Transmission capacity?

I changed the ATF in my previously owned automatic 98 SW2 this past weekend, but I have a lingering concern.
*The dip stick says use Dexron IIE.* I let it drain probably 40 min. until it was dripping ever 20 seconds or so. I then filled with 4 qts. started it up, ran for several min., went through the gears, put in park and checked the level. It was reading way on the low side. So I added .25 qt. and went for a short test drive. Still showing 3/8" below the "Ok" range. At the risk of over filling, added another couple ounces. Still says low.
So, did the previous owner switch dipsticks for some unknown reason, or is the owner's manual and Hayne's wrong about "4.2 qts?"
jamesq is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2
Default Re: 98 SW2 Transmission capacity?

4.2 is on the low side. I just changed mine, and had to put in 4.6ish, and I didn't swap the filter (fluid+filter -- 30k, fluid every 10k). I have had to add as many as 5-6 quarts in the past with a full filter swap and milking every drop out I could.

Haynes manual is trash. Get the FSM. It's posted up here for free somewhere.
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
jamesq
jamesq is on a distinguished road

I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but the owner's "handbook" says 4.2 as well. Also, what about the DexIIE on the stick? Do they all say that? DexIII was released in '93!
jamesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

The transmission holds a lot more than 4.2 quarts (from dry it holds 7 quarts, I believe). You cannot drain all of it out because a lot remains in the torque converter, valve body, etc. Typically, you get 4-5 quarts out. You need to measure how much you drain out to know how much to put in (it can vary by quite a bit depending on the angle the car is on and the position the transmission stops in). Since you didn't measure the amount you removed, you need to just keep adding it, a bit at a time, until it's in the "good" zone (below the full-hot line; don't overfill it).

Make sure you check the fluid level, with the car running, in Park (after shifting through all the gears). It's best to check it immediately after driving, while the fluid is still at operating temperature.
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote