SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Question secondary air injection system fault

well i finally got my 2000 sl2 put together and on the road for the last 4 days. after about 300 miles the sel came on so i took it to auto zone for the code check. they said it was the secondary air injection system fault and the computer says it's: 1. probably the circuit relay defective or fuse open. 2. check connector and wiring or 3. air pump defective or hoses blocked. the car has just over 100,000 miles on it and was not maintained before i bought it. (in fact because it wouldn't start, the ect, i had it towed to my driveway). i'll check #1 and #2 first but if it's #3 is this a big job and where can i get the info to do it myself? thanks, jim
scalemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: secondary air injection system fault

This is easy to fix. Go to the How-To Library by taking teh forum jump at the bottom of this page and read the 1st sticky post. It is an index of and links to the richpin DIY videos. Richpin has a video on testing and cleaning the AIR system. You also can select search on teh bar and then advanced search, select the S-series forum and search for air pump. You will find much info on how to fix it.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
scalemechanic
scalemechanic has a spectacular aura aboutscalemechanic has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

thanks oldnuc, i'll get right on it as soon as the rain stops (maybe a couple days from now).
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Usually the tube from the control valve to the manifold is full of carbon and the channel in the manifold is likewise plugged. If the pump runs when you start from cold and teh solenoid works then is carbon.

The code is caused by a no flow condition. The PCM starts the pump and looks for a change in the front O2 sensor.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
scalemechanic

2000 SL2
Question Re: secondary air injection system fault

question. what is the best way (tool) to clean the carbon in the tube from the control valve and do i have to remove the exhaust manifold to clean the carbon
in the channel ?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep. Unbolt the manifold from the head and it will pullback far enough to clean it out. Channel is in the manifold. The gasket can be recycled. Once you have the tube removed from the manifold and the valve you can use a old speedometer cable or a reasonably flexible wire to break it up and pick it out. The manifold channel can be scraped out with an old screwdriver.

The manifold nut torque spec is 150 in-lb or 12.5 ft-lb and there is a tightening pattern but I do not have it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

ok, here's the latest on this. i removed the tube and cleaned it it the best i could with a coat hanger, rag and wd-40. i also cleaned the opening on the manifold without removing it. i thought i might break one of the manifold bolts and also don't have a torque wrench to reinstall it properly (i'll get one). by the way what is the best way to avoid breaking the manifold bolts? i'll clean the manifold another day. since i disconnected the battery the code was cleared and i've driven it over 125 miles since, and the code hasn't reappeared.

one other item, my temp gauge has always topped out at 1/4. i replaced the thermostat and anti-freeze and now it goes to 3/8 and pretty much stays there. from what i've read that's normal. can you confirm that?

when i get to it, i'll post how i made out on the manifold. thanks OldNuc,
Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Temp readings are normal. however if you dont have a brass ECTS in the car, this reading is VOID.

PB Blaster those bolts!
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If it has not been changed yet, changing the ECTS would be a very good idea. Info is in the How-To Library in the first 3 posts.

Spray the manifold bolts every evening with PB Blaster for a couple of days. They are not very tight and they come off easy. You may have caught the AIR system failure before it became completely packed with carbon.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
scalemechanic

2000 SL2

first thing i did when i bought this car was to change the ECTS (because it wouldn't start). worked like a charm.

i'll get a can of that PB blaster.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As long as the code does not come back I would stall on pulling the manifold. Its a dirty job. An old speedometer cable or heavy motorcycle control cable housing with the plastic stripped off will make cleaning the connector tube easier next time.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Pete's_99SL2
Pete's_99SL2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1996 SC2

I just cleaned the muck out of that (assumed stainless steel) tube on my 2000 SL1. I used Lestoil and a very small bottle/tube brushes. I cut the bottom off of a 1 gallon milk jug leaving it about 2 inches tall, filled it with Lestoil and do the cleaning of the tube submerged in the Lestoil. Itís like a little parts cleaning tank that can be rinsed and reused or put in the recycle bin with other milk jugs. Anyway itís a messy job so I did it outside away from the house, then I rinsed the tube with very hot water and it looks like new inside. Hope this helps.
Pete's_99SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

OldNuc -

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
As long as the code does not come back I would stall on pulling the manifold. Its a dirty job. An old speedometer cable or heavy motorcycle control cable housing with the plastic stripped off will make cleaning the connector tube easier next time.
Would a pipe-cleaner do the trick?

CarloSW2
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
OldNuc -

Would a pipe-cleaner do the trick?

CarloSW2
Not really big enough. The ports into the head will clean with a pipe cleaner if not too solidly plugged.