Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Internal Engine Cleaning

Hey all, tomorrow i figured I'd "cleanse" the inside of my engine, by this i mean:

I will do a standard oil change but refill it with 1 quart of MMO and 4 quarts of Full Synthetic Mobil 1, seeing as how synthetic "cleans" the enigne. This is the first time i wlll be running full syn.

With this said, how long should i run it before the next oil change? if this stuff is gonna loosen up all the gunk i know i don't wanna run it with this stuff in the system for long. 500 miles? 1000 miles?

thanks.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
kev-inc
kev-inc is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Internal Engine Cleaning

Mobil1 itself will do a pretty good cleaning job. Just change it at a normal interval. Mobil1 has been known to last 5k-10k miles is many cars depending on your driving.

I like using a product called Auto-RX. I have used it in my saturn and it got a lot of junk out of the engine.

more info at:
http://www.auto-rx.com/
many pleased users at this "Bob is the oil guy" forum: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Pic of my saturn oil.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=5;t=002762

Last edited by kev-inc; 01-29-2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
Hey all, tomorrow i figured I'd "cleanse" the inside of my engine, by this i mean:

I will do a standard oil change but refill it with 1 quart of MMO and 4 quarts of Full Synthetic Mobil 1, seeing as how synthetic "cleans" the enigne. This is the first time i wlll be running full syn.

With this said, how long should i run it before the next oil change? if this stuff is gonna loosen up all the gunk i know i don't wanna run it with this stuff in the system for long. 500 miles? 1000 miles?

thanks.
The engine is supposed to hold 4 quarts, so you're going to be 1 quart high. Not good.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

Since most S-series Saturns burn a little oil. Why not add the quart of MMO prior to the oil change? Run it for another week (at least a couple hundred miles) and then change the oil over to strictly Mobil 1.

Just an idea.

Paul.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Quote:

thanks.
Quote:
The engine is supposed to hold 4 quarts, so you're going to be 1 quart high. Not good.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A friend of mine ran his car with a little too much oil(I wanna say like 3 quarts) and it didn't turn out too great.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Where's Wolfman when you need him???

Seriously, you MAY be able to run ok with 1/2 quart overfill, but a full quart is not a good thing to do. Too much oil can cause excessive frothing and aeration of the oil which can actually reduce lubrication efficiency and worsen oil consumption.

Better to check your oil at every fill of gas if you have an oil user.

I'd agree with the Mobil 1 cleaning gunk out of the engine all by itself. I converted my 99SL2 at 62,500 and the the first change was done early because the M1 got dirty unusually fast. The second fill of M1 was normal. The third fill remained clean longer still.

I don't think I'd run a full quart of MMO for an entire 2,500 or 3,000 mile change interval due to its relatively thin viscosity. Maybe put in a half quart or a quart (if there's room to do so) 500 miles or so before you change it would be a better approach?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I think I actually responded to a similiar post a few weeks (months?) back.

DOHC (Has OIL BAFFLE PLATE) can be run "safely" up to 1 quart over full.
SOHC (NO OIL BAFFLE PLATE) 1/2 to 3/4 MAX before you will get issues like foaming and increased burn off.

There is also a fairly extensive post about oil additives....If you want to add about 12oz or so of MMO to help clean things out before the next oil change, it will help, BUT I would not leave it in there for more than 250-500 miles or so MAX.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 01-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Better to check your oil at every fill of gas if you have an oil user.
Gee Wolfman, I set you up for your signature line... but alas you didn't bite!
Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
DOHC (Has OIL BAFFLE PLATE) can be run "safely" up to 1 quart over full.
I agree, but there's no benefit from running 1 quart high, especially when he's planning to dump the oil within 500-1000 miles. Why throw away a full quart of Mobil 1 for no good reason?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

LOL my bad everyone.. didn't mean to get attacked by making an error and saying i was gonna run 5 quarts I just add oil up to the FULL line on the dipstick... and i just assumed this was 5 quarts like the typical engine
Old 01-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
LOL my bad everyone.. didn't mean to get attacked by making an error and saying i was gonna run 5 quarts I just add oil up to the FULL line on the dipstick... and i just assumed this was 5 quarts like the typical engine
Nobody attacked you.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
... and i just assumed this was 5 quarts like the typical engine
Ah, but that's the thing; 5 quarts isn't "typical". EVERY four-banger I've owned or worked on has called for 4 quarts of oil. But yeah, in decades passed, it seemed like EVERY engine, from a little 200 I-6 in a Maverick to a 383 Chrysler, took 5 quarts.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #13
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

the Ecotec 2.2 is a 5 quart engine
the Trailblazer 4.2 six has 7 quarts
more oil is good......if the engine is designed for it.

as far as internal cleaning, over on www.bobistheoilguy.com they seem pretty sold on a product called AutoRX
Old 01-30-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I will only chime in to say that while Auto-Rx appears to work, it is expensive, and I am somewhat wary of a product that as part of it's instructions tells you to essentially keep buying it and pouring it in basically forever....
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 AM   #15
kev-inc
kev-inc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
I will only chime in to say that while Auto-Rx appears to work, it is expensive, and I am somewhat wary of a product that as part of it's instructions tells you to essentially keep buying it and pouring it in basically forever....
Yes it's expensive but, I am a believer now. A lot of nasty stuff came out of my Saturn. Not much came out of my integra though Both cars run noticeable better especially the integra. The saturn hardly burns oil anymore. Before it would burn 1qt every 3K.

I think one treatment is enough. The second treatment just puts money in their pocket.
Closed Thread