SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Has anyone else experienced this caliper issue?

So I've had to replace my front calipers a couple times over the years, most recent being today. Every single time I've replaced them, I've had to vacuum bleed the driver's side caliper to get a good firm pedal. If I do the traditional one man bleeder setup, the pedal feel is awful. It doesn't matter which brand of remaned caliper I use, they've all had the same behavior. Has anyone else run into this?
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Has anyone else experienced this caliper issue?

No, never. Have you ever tried replacing the flexible hose heading into the caliper? Sometimes, that hose gets, well it's like the interior diameter narrows down, IDK if its an internal wall swelling or just what, but I would replace it (both drivers and passenger sides) on your next caliper or brake pad job.
This same hose issue will usually cause a brake caliper to 'hang up', and that's how one would know to replace that hose.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I second suspicions of the flexible brake hose as a possible issue. While this isn't usual for the S-series, Vues have this issue. Apparently the front flex hoses are clamped to the adjacent strut like all other front hoses. The exception is that Vues somehow strangled their brake hoses, restricting brake fluid flow when brakes are released. The steel clamp closed off the hose with brake pressure slowly bleeding down with many holding pressure to the point of hot calipers, rotors and wheels too hot to touch. One member cut away his problem hose revealing how the hose holder strangled the hose. Many Vue owners reported similar problems. The cure was replacing the hoses. Simply spreading the hose clamp might have solved the problem but many just replaced both hoses.
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Hmm, entirely possible it's the flex hose as they're all original. I do have braided stainless flex lines that I'll be replacing them with when I replace all the hard lines. I'll have to see if when bleeding, the caliper behaves with the SS lines.
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try imagining your garden hose, bend it anywhere and choke off water flow. The same applies to flexible brake hoses but not visible. The easiest way to test your stainless brake hoses is either a two man brake flush to each front caliper to see how well brahe fluid rushes out each bleed screw or remove the hose and blow thru it. Either the hose is clear without any restrictions or blockage exists. You may be able to see light from one end to the other when its clear of fluid and held straight.......
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:14 AM   #6
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I had to replace flexible brake hoses on a couple Chevy trucks, around '70 model years. The hoses are double (one inside another for strength). A crack in the inner traps fluid from the outer, which maintains pressure, collapsing the inner.

I replaced those on my 2000 when renewed the calipers & MC last summer.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote